Ideas for next duck season…

DuckDogDr

WKR
For the Brant mainly shore, sea ducks was layouts
That would be awesome. Would love to take / use my dogs.
I’ve personally done the sea duck thing . It’s fun / cool to experience and everyone should do it.. but the flooded timber is my home

I’m looking for a true flooded timber hunt for this season. The one I went one was more flooded buck brush with some trees around it lol.

. but the flooded timber is my home
Flooded timber absolutely wrecked all other waterfowling for me. Prior to it, I saw thousands of birds die in cornfields throughout the Midwest and Canada. I got the timber bug and leaned against my first tree about 15yrs ago. You couldn’t pay me anymore to lay in a cornfield and turn on spinners and have every bird come in exactly the same. Timber or nothing for me….

KurtR

WKR
I’m looking for a true flooded timber hunt for this season. The one I went one was more flooded buck brush with some trees around it lol.
Start looking now I wanted to do that last year and found they book really fast and there are not that many true green timber outfitters around.

Start looking now I wanted to do that last year and found they book really fast and there are not that many true green timber outfitters around.
I am looking at a couple and trying to get on the books. I’m fine if they are booked out a year or two if they are a solid operation.

DuckDogDr

WKR
My buddy ran the angry chessie for me this weekend as I had to work. The daily training sessions are paying off .. but aggravating thing with the chessies you get one issue fixed and then they figure out something else screwy they want to do

FullSizeRender.jpeg

KurtR

WKR
My buddy ran the angry chessie for me this weekend as I had to work. The daily training sessions are paying off .. but aggravating thing with the chessies you get one issue fixed and then they figure out something else screwy they want to do

View attachment 682280
Where did he run at? I have to wait till june to finish out our master title. He looks like a happy dog posing with that ribbon give him a good job pet from me.

ianpadron

WKR
WA state is the best waterfowl hunting state in the country and it isn't even close. 107 day season, 7 bird limit...including 7 greenheads....huge species variety.

Field hunting for wigeon/mallards/pintail on the West side will blow your mind...legitimate duck tornadoes are guaranteed when you're on the X. Tons of lesser and snows as well.

The tidal estuaries have resident and wintering birds all year long, and when the sheet water floods inland...the brackish tidal marshes are insane. I had soooo many Dec/Jan hunts there during a hard freeze when I'd have my 7 birds in the first 15-30 minutes.

Then you have the entire Columbia River basin...high desert greenheads and Greater Canada's that will make you think "North Dakota who?!"

Big river diver hunting for redheads, cans, bluebills....we're talking Great Lakes quality stuff here...

Of the few things I miss in WA, the waterfowling is definitely one of them.

IYKYK

I just googled your duck season dates. If you don't open until November you have lots of options to extend your season by traveling in October. North and South Dakota are mentioned for a reason but that is a haul from where you are. Id look into going north in October and hitting some of the October season. Otherwise if you like hunting the later season Kansas can be good if you hit it right.

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
I although I no longer live there Washington has some top tier duck hunting. Huge variety of habitat and birds.View attachment 679961View attachment 679962
This. Puget Sound is an awesome experience.

If you haven’t yet, you need to hit the intracoastal waterway and reap the benefits of being close by. September teals are insane in NC and pass through your neck of the woods as well.

Last edited:
WA state is the best waterfowl hunting state in the country and it isn't even close. 107 day season, 7 bird limit...including 7 greenheads....huge species variety.

Field hunting for wigeon/mallards/pintail on the West side will blow your mind...legitimate duck tornadoes are guaranteed when you're on the X. Tons of lesser and snows as well.

The tidal estuaries have resident and wintering birds all year long, and when the sheet water floods inland...the brackish tidal marshes are insane. I had soooo many Dec/Jan hunts there during a hard freeze when I'd have my 7 birds in the first 15-30 minutes.

Then you have the entire Columbia River basin...high desert greenheads and Greater Canada's that will make you think "North Dakota who?!"

Big river diver hunting for redheads, cans, bluebills....we're talking Great Lakes quality stuff here...

Of the few things I miss in WA, the waterfowling is definitely one of them.

IYKYK
Washington is getting better every year. More open water and food every year it seems and the big ducks just aren’t leaving there as quick as they once did

ccc9092

FNG
Try and get a group together and check out Venice, Louisiana. You can hunt in the morning and catch reds in the evening. Plus, you’ll be exposed to a wide variety of species in Venice.

There are also so good spots in North Tennessee around the Big Sandy. Of course Arkansas is a must.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E

eddiewiggles

FNG
Classified Approved
OP, I think you've done pretty well if you're killing Pintails in Georgia.

Where in GA do you hunt?

Thanks for all the replies everyone!!

And north east, near Gainesville. Blessed to have permission to hunt a few private places with buddies. We killed those two pintails in the picture the second weekend of season. Surprised would be an understatement.

When I killed the black duck, 3 came in and there were 3 of us hunting. One of the guys had a gun problem and didn’t get to shoot, but the two we killed were both drakes. Right after that we had another bird come in and we let him get redemption, it was a hen pintail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk