IDFG Hoof Disease found in Idaho

I don't know a lot about it but Washington has a bad case of hoof rot in some of the westside units. Hopefully its an isolated case in Idaho

I'm not familiar with this issue. How does it negatively impact elk? Does it affect meat on harvested animals as well?

Broomd

WKR
I killed an elk in '15 or '16 with a hoof disease, I was completely unaware of it being a serious issue until very recently. At the time I thought it was just a one-off anomaly...
Close up, and it's also visible in the hanging pic.

yWDfFtS.jpg

mPb7thR.jpg

4xlarsen

FNG
My cow in western wa was showing sign of hoof rot starting. Wdfw claims it has no effect on the meat, other than the malnutrition that follows. The guys i talked to in the area (Ryderwood unit) said it really has decimated the herd. Washington also requires that you leave the feet at the kill site to try to prevent spread.

Attachments

• 20181108_144914.jpg
    20181108_144914.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 31
Idaho is saying there is no evidence of negative effect on meat according to an Idaho Statesman article I was reading about hoof disease tonight.

It's likely coincidental but I spoke with a biologist out of Lewiston last week and they are proposing cutting tags in all three units in the Hells Canyon zone, near White Bird where the issue was found, due to decreased numbers found during surveys.

I killed an elk in '15 or '16 with a hoof disease, I was completely unaware of it being a serious issue until very recently. At the time I thought it was just a one-off anomaly...
Close up, and it's also visible in the hanging pic.

yWDfFtS.jpg

mPb7thR.jpg
Broomd

I think you should send this information to IDFG.

OP
D
Broomd

I think you should send this information to IDFG.

I second that. I just realized you are from my neck of the woods. That means it been here longer than they thought.
Out of curiosity, was it killed on Timber company land or the National Forest? You can PM if you don't want to reveal that info on the forum.