If you could only have one boot, which of these would it be? Lowa Tibet or Camino

cpalm9

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the market for some new boots at the end of this season. My hiking boots just aren't sturdy enough for the more rugged MT elk country! I need more ankle support and foot relief for sure.

After reading some forums, it seems like a lot of people have different boots for different situations. So I'm curious which of these two boots would be a better all-around boot for all parts of the season from Sep archery to late Nov mule deer.

SDHNTR

WKR
Those are two quite different boots. Apples to oranges. The Tibet is a serious mountain boot. The Camino is a lighter hiker. Pick the right tool for the given job.

I only have experience with the camino as a hiking boot, but I am very happy with them. Tibet would certainly be on my short list for a backcountry boot.

Elk2008

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had the Tibet’s for 5 years. They are a tough boot. Not sure if I’d go that route again as they are a really stiff boot. If that is what you are looking for that is the way to go. Durability of mine has been incredible.

OP
C

cpalm9

Lil-Rokslider
Those are two quite different boots. Apples to oranges. The Tibet is a serious mountain boot. The Camino is a lighter hiker. Pick the right tool for the given job.
I need a "do-it-all" boot. I have the budget to buy one quality boot. I'm open to other brands for sure as well.

I need a "do-it-all" boot. I have the budget to buy one quality boot. I'm open to other brands for sure as well.
I’ve had 2 pairs of the Caminos over the last 6-7 years. Great boot (I’m a Lowa fan), but unlike some above said, I wouldn’t really call the Camino a light hiker. It’s pretty damn stiff. A hiking boot is a Lowa Zephyr, to me. (I have 2 pairs and love them). I’ve worn the Caminos elk hunting/backpacking with some pretty good loads on my back for days at a time and I never found myself thinking I needed “more boot” than the Caminos offered.

I took a new pair Caminos and a new pair of Crispi boots with me this year to Colorado. I wore the Crispi boots for about 4hrs and never put them back on again. I was very happy to get back in Caminos.

I’d say its a pretty decent all around boot, but on the stiffer side for just low country hiking. Also, take a look at the Lowa Ticam. That will be my next pair of boots over the Tibets. A bit more boot than the Camino, but same style/design.

SDHNTR

WKR
Ask your self if heavy mountain and backpacking use is in your future. If yes, get the Tibet’s. If no, you’ll be fine with the Caminos.

I’m on my 2nd pair of caminos, good boot, great fit, more boot that a typical “light hiker” but disappointed in durability and water resistance. If late season hunting in snow I’d go with the Tibet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sobrbiker

WKR
I’m new to all this “good” gear stuff, and spent the first couple years as an adult onset hunter in “good enough” gear. As I’m transitioning to doing more solo hunting than a good ol boy Boy Scout truck camp I’m learning a lot.
I went with Caminos and am really happy. I found the regular sizes to be pretty narrow, but a wide fits my feet well and with the lacing zones I can run thick wool or thin.
Mind you, I hunt Arizona so trudging snow and water crossings are not common. More important to me is rocky hill performance and protection against all the spiky crap.
The Caminos have performed great for me running light or running as heavy a load as I can carry (that’s about a quartered Coues on top of optics and crap in my pack-probably 90#).
My late archery elk hunt this year will have cold and snow involved, I’ll see how they do, but will have my clunky insulated Georgia’s in the Jeep just in case.
I did start off with LaSportiva Nucleos and Crispi Valdres that both went back after one scouting trip each due to fit.

ttucci16

Lil-Rokslider
They're not very comprable boots to be honest. In my opinion, the Camino is a great mule deer boot. Narrow fit, more flex in the sole, more nimble, narrower sole, and all around great boot. The tibet it a deep and steep with a lot of weight on your back kind of boot. I just finished my elk hunt with the Tibets, and I was glad to have them on when I had camp and half an elk on my back. I'm sure the camino would've done fine, but with more flex in the sole. The tibet seems like a stiff boot at first, but softens up great once your have 50-100 miles on them. If you want a good in between to both the tibet and camino, check out the Crispi Nevada. Buy once cry once when it comes to boots, because that worm hole is long and expensive if you don't.

OP
C

cpalm9

Lil-Rokslider
Ask your self if heavy mountain and backpacking use is in your future. If yes, get the Tibet’s. If no, you’ll be fine with the Caminos.
Most likely mountainous backpacking considering all of my hunting and hiking is done in SW Montana and lots of hiking/backpacking in NW WY during the summer. I'd like to just find a boot that just works.

OP
C

cpalm9

Lil-Rokslider
They're not very comprable boots to be honest. In my opinion, the Camino is a great mule deer boot. Narrow fit, more flex in the sole, more nimble, narrower sole, and all around great boot. The tibet it a deep and steep with a lot of weight on your back kind of boot. I just finished my elk hunt with the Tibets, and I was glad to have them on when I had camp and half an elk on my back. I'm sure the camino would've done fine, but with more flex in the sole. The tibet seems like a stiff boot at first, but softens up great once your have 50-100 miles on them. If you want a good in between to both the tibet and camino, check out the Crispi Nevada. Buy once cry once when it comes to boots, because that worm hole is long and expensive if you don't.
If you had to, would you be comfortable just using the TIbets for all hunting purposes? Or would you be pretty "over-booted" (new word!) if you're going out for mule deer in the foothills or even just on a nice summer backpacking trip in the mountains?

Enter a new option... Lowa Ranger. Seems like a good compromise? Seems similar to the Crispi Nevada you mentioned. I seem married to Lowa (I'm not) I've just had some glowing reviews from family that used them in Afghanistan. Figure if the brand is durable enough for fighting Taliban, it's good enough for mountain use and hunting!

ttucci16

Lil-Rokslider
If you had to, would you be comfortable just using the TIbets for all hunting purposes? Or would you be pretty "over-booted" (new word!) if you're going out for mule deer in the foothills or even just on a nice summer backpacking trip in the mountains?

Enter a new option... Lowa Ranger. Seems like a good compromise? Seems similar to the Crispi Nevada you mentioned. I seem married to Lowa (I'm not) I've just had some glowing reviews from family that used them in Afghanistan. Figure if the brand is durable enough for fighting Taliban, it's good enough for mountain use and hunting!
I'm pretty comfortable with the Tibets for all around hunting. I use them for deer, bear, turkey, elk, chukar, grouse, and all around hiking. I'm in WA state, so i'm not usually on anything resembling flat ground most of the time I'm in the woods. I think the Lowa Rangers would be a perfect medium weight boot. Full rand, and not so stiff that you're going to wonder why you have 2x4s as a boot. All 3 of the boots will end up wet in the summer due to the Gore-Tex. I've never personally put the rangers on my feet, but if they fit like the Tibet, and flex like the Crispi Nevada, then i would saw off my arm to get them. I usually can't find a dealer that stocks the Lowa Rangers, so i'm partial to the Tibets. What size are you? If you're around mine, i'll send my Tibets out to you so that you can see what a fully broken in pair feels like. I also like the Tibets due to there not being any kind of arch support built into the boot. This lets me buy whatever insole fits my foot best without worrying about it completely reshaping the feel of the boot.

akrdkill

WKR
your in SW MT, id pay a visit to Hoffman Boots..pretty sure they carry Lowas plus you could try there's on as well

SDHNTR

WKR
Most likely mountainous backpacking considering all of my hunting and hiking is done in SW Montana and lots of hiking/backpacking in NW WY during the summer. I'd like to just find a boot that just works.
Unfortunately, there’s really no way around the trial and error experience. Boots are such a personal thing. Tibet’s in wide are perfect for my feet, but they could be terrible on yours. My only suggestion would be to attempt to find a retailer who will allow you to return the boot after you have actually put them through good use in the field. I know REI used to do this and I used them extensively when I was in the experimentation phase. You can also get most boots through their special order department.

Not that this means anything much to you, but I’ve settled on Lowa Tibets as my big boy boot and Lowa Renegades when serious support is not necessary.