If you had...

Fivefoot

FNG
Greetings!

The subject is broad, but sounded like a fun topic! Additionally, I am really interested in some sage-advise. I am new to this forum, so please allow me to express my gratitude--to the host and all the members. I am a long-time bow hunter, but have been away from traditional archery, since about 1991, or thereabouts. My history with traditional bows pretty much begins and ends with Bear Bows--I may just pick up where I left off... However, markets and technology have drastically changed, since my days of stump-shooting. Plus, there has been a tremendous influx of new craftsman to enter the industry. Not to say I'd spend over a $grand for a new recurve, but I may. So, if you'd be so kind to lend your opinion I'd be grateful. Thank you

***If you could, would, or might spend in upwards of $1200 on a recurve bow (TD/one-piece doesn't matter), which bow would you purchase?

So many good/great bows out there.... you need to figure out what YOU like to shoot before dropping the money on a custom. Get your hands on some bows, and shoot much lighter poundage than you think you need. Then go order exactly what you want from the bowyer of your choice.

Then start saving up again.... 🙂

dlee56

WKR
For someone else I'd go one of 2 ways.
1- Satori with the best carbon limbs you can get.
2- Go custom with a Wengerd, Poison Dart, or Toelke and go nuts.

Personally I'd be buying a Wengerd Recurve or Toelke Chinook

Rob5589

WKR
Stalker Wolverine. Although my low budget ILF (Farmington Atlas riser, Black Max 2.0 limbs) is a great shooter. Just nowhere as pretty or exciting to pick up.

For a higher end bow (my personal Preference) I would get a stalker ilf rig from south Cox. But here’s my deal. I can shoot recurves but I can shoot a longbow better and prefer them over high wrist grip. So I choose a modern longbow. For that I would go with a thunderchild, Java man, or shrew.

You have to go and put your own hands on them and shoot them. Then decide what fits like a glove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I pretty much did that and bought a black widow PSA and a bivouac backland ILF longbow. The bows that interest me right now are the toelke whip and super static as well as the centaur super curve.

Last edited:

cck311

FNG
Might be a boring answer because it is a mass produced bow, but I sure love my Martin Hunter. I got mine used off of ebay, but pretty much in mint condition for far lower than your max price you listed. I think that bow could hold its own against a whole lot of high and customs.

I have a 60” Toelke Whistler and I have ordered a 58” ThunderChild.
I shouldn’t have to purchase another bow, ever.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a 60” Toelke Whistler and I have ordered a 58” ThunderChild.
I shouldn’t have to purchase another bow, ever.
My next bow will be a 64” toelke Whistler 60lb@28”. My friend got a big Jim bow and had a terrible experience, I won’t ever buy a thunder child or any of that guys stuff.

So many nice options out there.

I'd love to buy a Stalker because I think South seems like a fantastic person and he does beautiful work.
The Toelke bows are very appealing as well.
The Bob Lee stuff looks incredible.
Already got a Widow (PCH) so if I went that way I'd likely get a longbow.
Also loving my two ASL's but a Yukon Styk would be incredible.

Just dropped a heap of cash on a compound so won't get a new stickbow for ages now. Will be juggling all my other bows.

DHP

FNG
Currently shooting a 69” moosejaw longbow and probably don’t need anything else but it’s on the long side for my height and draw length so right now I want to get a Hoyt satori for something different to try. I want to find a draw weight and bow length that works well without having to buy a bunch of different bows, just limbs.

Afhunter1

WKR
Tolke chinook recurve
Stalker coyote longbow

For 1200 you could pick up each used and try em out before you order so you know what you want. You won’t lose money on resale.