If You're Wanting to Come Hunt in Montana.....

Make no mistake, this is an issue for residents just as much as NR's. If outfitters get this much more of the pie than they do now they are going to be pressuring ranchers to take their land out of the BMA program and turn it over to them on a private lease.

I'm in Flathead county, just wrote to my local senator (R) to have him push against this with his colleagues. We'll see what side he lands on.
Yup, I experienced this very issue near the highline... the outfitter pays the land owner more than the state, then the land owner drops the BMA.

First off......some of you keep mentioning that residents will benefit. We don't all believe that. I for one do not and have emailed all committee members with my opposition.

Second.....The bill is up for public hearing on Tuesday in the Senate Fish and Game Committee. It does not become law that quickly. The committee can amend it (or request an amendment) or they can squash it and table it (It's dead at that point). They can also move it forward and recommend approval as written or amended to the entire floor. At that point it's scheduled for 2nd reading on the floor and will be debated and voted on. If it makes it through that, it's scheduled for 3rd reading and voted on again. If it passes third reading in the Senate it then has to go to the House and make it through the same process before going to the governor for signature.

Screenshot_20210131-171727.png

With that said, by all means make contact with the applicable folks and express your concerns. The sooner the better, but it won't turn into law this Tuesday. It's a lot longer process than that. You can breathe a little.

You can look up bills on the Montana Legislature web site and keep track of where they stand.

Last edited:
They have a chance to kill it Tuesday. That is what I was referencing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, and I hope they do. The sooner the better. If not though, there is still some time to keep speaking out and kill it.

60 % doesn't even seem remotely reasonable. I'm guessing, but I'd suspect they are asking for far more than they expect. In other words, ask for 60 then act as if you are graciously compromising when you drop it back to something less.

Does anyone know if the RMEF commented on this? I am just learning about this. Ive had my head in the sand since November.

I haven't gotten anything from RMEF, but did receive a response (and a means to contact) from BHA- they want the bill killed

Montana's fish and game species have long been managed for the benefit of all — that's why we as a state have avoided the commercialization of our big game species and the pay-to-play licensing systems of other states in the West. Our abundant hunting opportunities draw thousands of nonresident hunters each year, bolstering local economies and providing much-needed funding for conservation and wildlife management. Those visitors are required to participate in the same license application system, regardless of whether they choose to hunt with an outfitter or strike out on their own. SB 143, introduced by Sen. Jason Ellsworth, threatens our egalitarian management system by reserving the majority of nonresident big game combo tags for outfitters.

This bill would jeopardize the public trust system of wildlife management that sustains Montana’s hunting opportunities. It also violates the will of Montana voters, who in 2010 voted overwhelmingly in support of I-161, the citizens’ initiative to eliminate outfitter tags. It’s worth noting that 70 percent of Montana’s legislative districts supported I-161, recognizing that pay-to-play hunting has no place in Montana. The Montana Chapter of Backcountry Hunters & Anglers believes that all sportsmen and women, regardless of financial means, should enjoy the same opportunities to hunt in Montana each year.

SB 143 threatens the rural economies that rely on DIY nonresident hunters each fall, the Block Management Program that pays landowners to open their lands to the public instead of leasing to outfitters, and the public trust principles that guide Montana’s natural resource management. Let your legislators know that you oppose this bill today!

Thanks everyone for posting the contact info for the elected officials. Working ony letter now.
I was planning on taking my daughter and son to MT this next year to try and take home their first mule deer, and try for their first elk. It's unlikely under the proposed bill that they would draw. I have not been accruing points for them, guess that's my fault. But it will be a tough life lesson when I tell them that they didn't draw because more than half of the tags go to those that can afford an outfitter. We cannot afford one so we get less opportunity. Seems like a fair deal in the land of freedom and equality.
Regardless of which party you side with they all follow the gravy money train that gets them elected. Government welfare no doubt. If you want an outfitter, go get one. If you don't then don't. Outfitters do a great business for a great number of people but outfitters should have to compete for your business just like every other business.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I haven't gotten anything from RMEF, but did receive a response (and a means to contact) from BHA- they want the bill killed

Montana's fish and game species have long been managed for the benefit of all — that's why we as a state have avoided the commercialization of our big game species and the pay-to-play licensing systems of other states in the West. Our abundant hunting opportunities draw thousands of nonresident hunters each year, bolstering local economies and providing much-needed funding for conservation and wildlife management. Those visitors are required to participate in the same license application system, regardless of whether they choose to hunt with an outfitter or strike out on their own. SB 143, introduced by Sen. Jason Ellsworth, threatens our egalitarian management system by reserving the majority of nonresident big game combo tags for outfitters.

This bill would jeopardize the public trust system of wildlife management that sustains Montana’s hunting opportunities. It also violates the will of Montana voters, who in 2010 voted overwhelmingly in support of I-161, the citizens’ initiative to eliminate outfitter tags. It’s worth noting that 70 percent of Montana’s legislative districts supported I-161, recognizing that pay-to-play hunting has no place in Montana. The Montana Chapter of Backcountry Hunters & Anglers believes that all sportsmen and women, regardless of financial means, should enjoy the same opportunities to hunt in Montana each year.

SB 143 threatens the rural economies that rely on DIY nonresident hunters each fall, the Block Management Program that pays landowners to open their lands to the public instead of leasing to outfitters, and the public trust principles that guide Montana’s natural resource management. Let your legislators know that you oppose this bill today!
Love the BHA! Also love the RMEF but guessing they will remain neutral on this. It seems there is ALOT of money coming from Non residents going into Montana thru the RMEF. In a worse case scenario that may be in jeopardy if this happens and becomes a common occurrence. We raise a lot of money in PA for them and I personally know more people that DIY than employ an outfitter. In my experience most people that go with an outfitter are done as soon as they get something for the wall. DIY hunters seem to go for the experience and challenge only wanting to do it again when its over. Thats the case for my boys and I. We love Montana and have met some awesome people hunting elk in the backcountry, It will be a sad thing if that changes. Applying this year for sure to do it again.... God willing.

. . . In my experience most people that go with an outfitter are done as soon as they get something for the wall. DIY hunters seem to go for the experience and challenge only wanting to do it again when its over. . .
That’s been exactly my experience. I go with the same group every year. If we get something, that’s great. If not, nobody cares, and within 2 weeks of getting home we’re already planning next year. I’d rather hang out with my buddies for 10 days and not even see an elk than spend a few days camping with a stranger and kill a monster.

Emails sent

it’s a ridiculous proposition to let a special interest group of outfitters control the animals of the state.

Why don’t they give them all of the state office buildings while they are at it?

First off......some of you keep mentioning that residents will benefit. We don't all believe that. I for one do not and have emailed all committee members with my opposition.

Second.....The bill is up for public hearing on Tuesday in the Senate Fish and Game Committee. It does not become law that quickly. The committee can amend it (or request an amendment) or they can squash it and table it (It's dead at that point). They can also move it forward and recommend approval as written or amended to the entire floor. At that point it's scheduled for 2nd reading on the floor and will be debated and voted on. If it makes it through that, it's scheduled for 3rd reading and voted on again. If it passes third reading in the Senate it then has to go to the House and make it through the same process before going to the governor for signature.

View attachment 259316

With that said, by all means make contact with the applicable folks and express your concerns. The sooner the better, but it won't turn into law this Tuesday. It's a lot longer process than that. You can breathe a little.

You can look up bills on the Montana Legislature web site and keep track of where they stand.
I cant see how this will not benefit residents. The whole BMA thing is bogus. Outfitters are not all of a sudden going to be rich and able to lease up large swaths of land. Outfitting does not make a man rich! Less out of state plates is fine with me.

Back