ILF bows for hunting?

Wondering if anyone shoots an ILF recurve rig for hunting?

Figure I can get into one pretty cheap, then continue saving up for a nice custom bow.

oldgoat

WKR
They are a bow, they will work fine, there are even custom wood ones available. ILF is just a way the limbs are attached that also gives you a way to tune the bow.

Grand Passage

Lil-Rokslider
Yes. Wish I had not resisted joining the dark side (ILF) so long.

My one piece custom woods will never leave though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Beauty of ILF is the mix and match....and the incredible performance.

My current go to Uukha Vx’s really zip an arrow.

Just an avg ILF limb will outperform many custom bows costing much more $$$..... but of course StickBow shooting is not about performance it’s about how it feels in your hand.

DWinVA

WKR
Ok thx DM, appreciate it.

I always find it interesting to see what one of the best shooters in the US is shooting.

I’m DW not DM. I’m assuming you mean Dewayne Martin, one of the best barebow shooters in the world. Dewayne & I are from the same town and do shoot some local 3D shoots together. He’s the main reason I’m currently hunting with a CD Archery WF19. The last time I shot with Dewayne he was shooting Uukha limbs.

God Bless

Beendare

WKR
I’m DW not DM. I’m assuming you mean Dewayne Martin, one of the best barebow shooters in the world. Dewayne & I are from the same town and do shoot some local 3D shoots together. He’s the main reason I’m currently hunting with a CD Archery WF19. The last time I shot with Dewayne he was shooting Uukha limbs.

God Bless

I assumed DM since you were shooting his riser....so he is shooting Uukhas...interesting. Thanks for clarifying....

Trying out my first ILF bow this year and have full intentions of using it for hunting. Tried one of those TBOW bows off eBay with hopes of upgrading limbs at some point!

Beendare

WKR
The ILF recurves shoot just like any other takedown recurve. Now the limb to riser connection is a typically blended to be more aesthetically pleasing on most customs. The only reason I would chose custom over ILF is if I wanted that custom look. Some guys identify with their bows- great...and prefer to walk the woods with a custom longbow. I get it.

Shooting wise, I've shot a couple customs and feel an ILF riser with a quality limb feels and shoots as good if not better than any of the customs I've tried. I know my couple sets of premium limbs are smoother with better performance for sure.

A guy can get a very cheap ILF setup that is comparable in performance to many customs.

Its pretty much a feel thing. I see why guys like a Black Widow for example...they shoot good. But then comparing it side by side with my one ILF setup....mine was smoother on the back end and faster.

The versatility of ILF is hard to beat....and it's not like it takes a long time to swap- 2 minutes?

never.truly.lost

Lil-Rokslider
I just had my first bow season (well attempted but unsuccessful) using a Hoyt Buffalo I found a great deal on used. I think it is basically an ILF but the Hoyt system; either way I found it nice being able to have my pack in the truck with the bow broken down and it only takes a couple of second to snap it together and start walking. Hoping to put a bit more time into it next year but I agree with the above; a nice wooden takedown is the goal eventually!

Cheers,
Andy

Mudd Foot

WKR
ILF is a great option for hunting. Packs really well in the truck, and for our long hikes in/out.
Am currently using a Tradtech tech Titan 19” with Blackmax 2.0 Carbon longs in 45 lbs. my draw is 29, and I use a Clickety-clik brand clicker. Am very pleased with the above performance, ease of tuning, and feel. BTW, my arrows are 750 gr. 30% FOC. Point-on at nock is 30 yards.

Mudd Foot

WKR
Absolutely correct. The bow barely makes a sound, but the arrows thump the target with a much deeper sound. Interesting for those of us that have shot much lighter arrows and are used to the sound they make. Ashby’s penetration data convinced me to experiment. Everything about them is better, including their groupings.