I'm all ears - any info on buying/building points per state?

shanevg

WKR
In AZ, just need hunter safety and a $26.50 license for a kid to start. PP's are $7.50 a piece. I like the NM also, but haven't used it yet. Can I "roll" the Wyoming youth points to regular points??

Yes you can roll WY youth points to regular points. AZ just implemented the Hunter Ed requirement to get PPs which is a real bummer otherwise you could start applying the day your kid was born. (Or before they were born. ;) )

Whisky

WKR
With the way Montana has there limited draw units set up for elk and deer, I not sure I want to mess with it.

Can you elaborate? I spent a lot of my day trying to figure out a plan for MT, and was on the phone twice with MT Game and Fish. Now you go and say something like that?!?!:D

I thought I had a solid plan in place for MT, WY and CO. I just re-read this thread and now I'm wondering if I shouldn't be looking at UT and NV a little more.

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
Can you elaborate? I spent a lot of my day trying to figure out a plan for MT, and was on the phone twice with MT Game and Fish. Now you go and say something like that?!?!:D

I thought I had a solid plan in place for MT, WY and CO. I just re-read this thread and now I'm wondering if I shouldn't be looking at UT and NV a little more.

Its doable, I just don't want to mess with it. When MT changed their application process last year, I just lost interest as the units that I would like to draw are suffering the point creep that was discussed earlier. I frankly have other places on the top of my application interest. As I said earlier, I know Montana has some good animals, but not my personal focus as of now. If you are interested in hunting in Montana, you do need to start applying as some of the high demand tags probably are going to need some points to get a decent chance of drawing.

bohntr

WKR
Those are great additions Roy, and they highlight the importance of doing research! Anything I added was a broad generalization and hopefully didn't mislead anyone

bigeasygator:

Not directed towards you at all amigo........I was just trying to explain to the original poster that it's not as difficult as many would be led to believe if you're willing to hunt "less hyped" units.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
If you are interested in hunting in Montana, you do need to start applying as some of the high demand tags probably are going to need some points to get a decent chance of drawing.

tstowater,

In MT, The premier deer and elk rifle units have odds so bad you may never draw, you are right.

However, a positive for hunting MT is that many of the best hunting districts are General Districts you don't have to draw to hunt.

Then there are quality mule deer draws that are unlimited, so if you apply for the tag, you will draw.

Then there are archery elk permits that have excellent draw odds with opportunities at world class bulls.

For the hunters that want to hunt a Western State frequently, or don't want to build points for a decade before drawing, Montana should definitely be on their radar, IMO.

Tag fees are steep for no residents, though!

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
BB, I'm not sure that you are following what I have said. I'm focusing elsewhere for personal reasons, not because Montana has poor animals. As I said earlier, I see them as up and down, not bad and much of the problem related to predators (IMO). Best Rockies anywhere, bar none. I'll be back for elk, just not now. General tags are like every other state, there are good animals there, just need to know where they are or get lucky. As far as I am concerned, Montana hurt itself when it restructured its nonresident elk tags. If you are going to charge a higher fee, people expect more value and MT is generally not delivering. MT would be better off structuring like UT did with its high demand tag. IMO.

Whisky

WKR
I definitely understand about the personal reasons tstowater. I was just curious is all.

For me, I'm hopeful that MT will be a great opportunity. Why? Because I live in ND. I am going to be buying a general big game combo tag this year. I have never hunted elk before but I intend to be this Sept/Oct. I'm hopeful that maybe I will be able to make multiple trips, for both deer and elk. I'm also hopeful to get a scouting trip in. We will see what summer brings.

BB I like your optimism. You are right in that tag fees are steep. But I look at it this way. I am basically guaranteed a chance to hunt both elk and mule deer, with a bow and if it comes to it, with a rifle later on. I am also thrilled to know I'm not confined to one specific unit with the general tag. It took me a little bit (and a second phone call the the Game and Fish) to wrap my head around that. Opens up a lot of opportunity I think.

I haven't dug into the different units, permits, seasons yet. But I will have to look into those archery elk permits!!!:)

Because of the location, I will use MT as an opportunity to get out of ND each year and gain some experience, while building points in other states.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Oh no, tstowater, I am following you. I understand your personal reasons.

I was providing the other side of the MT coin for the other readers of this thread, in case they had been planning to hunt MT, and have different priorities than yours.

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
Whisky, your post shows exactly why personal focus makes a difference. Based on your location, Montana makes complete sense. I would do the same thing if I was you. Goes back to evaluating all the factors and maybe that is where I haven't been clear enough by just broad stroking with "personal focus". I've already accounted for distance, time, fees, draw odds, etc,, etc. when I have focused elsewhere. If I lived in the western Dakotas, I would look strongly at Montana, without question. If I was on the east coast, distance may make a huge difference. All I know is that I can drive 800-1200+ miles to get into elk in MT. That's not going to be every weekend or allow for several scouting trips a year. Just goes to show that everyone's situation and priorities are different and what is important to me, may not be important to someone else.

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
Oh no, tstowater, I am following you. I understand your personal reasons.

I was providing the other side of the MT coin for the other readers of this thread, in case they had been planning to hunt MT, and have different priorities than yours.

You posted this while I was responding to Whisky. Obviously, we see things the same.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
You posted this while I was responding to Whisky. Obviously, we see things the same.

Haha, yeah I was posting mine while Whisky was posting his.

One more point on MT's general districts:

Robby talks a lot about how important it is to know your hunting area to really get into top-end critters. Some might find the ability to hunt MT's general districts year after year beneficial in their quest for the big one.

Great, great thread and good info all around, without going down the "I don't want any honey holes, just a place to start" wormhole.

rhendrix

WKR
Torn about what to do right now...I had originally intended to put in for a mule deer tag in CO, but after looking at Utah's hunting statistics, it looks like Utah is a better choice for an archery mule deer hunt. Utah just flat out has more mule deer killed with a bow and arrow every year and less people hunt during archery season. How should I differentiate between the two? First choice in UT would be 13A and second choice would be 17A, first choice in CO would be GMU 21 second choice would be GMU 49.

OP
bz_711

bz_711

WKR
Thanks again everyone! You guys really delivered...and I got the kind of "overview" info I was hoping for.

I think the excel sheet is a great idea if start applying for more than a couple species
No doubt I plan to utilize the "youth hunt" options as my kids get older...I dream of the day I avoid the $600 tag and buy a couple $100 youth tags and get to play guide/caller/packer...
There really is all kind of opportunity out West - and you realize you don't have to wait the 10+ years for great hunts with above average trophy potential.

Good Luck to everyone in the drawings this year! Most likely just an OTC CO elk hunt this year if it works out...but I plan to get another point for CO Elk & Sheep, and possibly start on Muley points.