Im scared of blowing myself up with reloads

Rangerpants

Lil-Rokslider
I've had bad primers in factory ammo on more than one occasion. So far so good on handloads, but I shoot a lot more volume of factory pistol ammo than rifle handloads. I'm meticulous about not touching primers--I just dump them into the auto primer and the contraption does all the touching for me :)

OP
Choupique

Choupique

WKR
Popped off a few more today. No death or dismemberment yet...

With IMR 4831 pushing 250gr accubonds, I worked up to 2 grains over book max (71 vs 69) so far, and still see nothing resembling a pressure sign. Easy bolt lift, primers still rounded, no signs of any ejector marks or anything. The primers look more unmolested than the factory loads do. Mine are just starting to compress a little bit at 70gr. Mine are loaded to about 0.020" shorter than the mag box which is a fair bit longer than book OAL (3.385 vs 3.330). They're outrunning book max speed by alot as well (2725 vs 2523) per my shitty chronograph.

I'm stopping at 70gr just because I want to get some more time in and start shooting some groups instead of trying to crunch a bunch of powder just to "find pressure." I'm satisfied with the speed. I'm not going to do it, but would yall typically keep going up until you either ran out of capacity or found pressure signs? Or switch powders?

49ereric

WKR
Popped off a few more today. No death or dismemberment yet...

With IMR 4831 pushing 250gr accubonds, I worked up to 2 grains over book max (71 vs 69) so far, and still see nothing resembling a pressure sign. Easy bolt lift, primers still rounded, no signs of any ejector marks or anything. The primers look more unmolested than the factory loads do. Mine are just starting to compress a little bit at 70gr. Mine are loaded to about 0.020" shorter than the mag box which is a fair bit longer than book OAL (3.385 vs 3.330). They're outrunning book max speed by alot as well (2725 vs 2523) per my shitty chronograph.

I'm stopping at 70gr just because I want to get some more time in and start shooting some groups instead of trying to crunch a bunch of powder just to "find pressure." I'm satisfied with the speed. I'm not going to do it, but would yall typically keep going up until you either ran out of capacity or found pressure signs? Or switch powders?
I just load for accuracy first and foremost and watch for pressure signs along the way. No accuracy then I switch bullets. Your barrel will tell which bullet make and size it likes best. With Hunting rifles I don’t search to hard anymore but my deer hunting shoots are usually 60 yards max in the woods. When I was young I i tried harder to find the best combination. Biggest advantage was getting the triggers adjusted properly.

Rangerpants

Lil-Rokslider
I work for accuracy first too. If I'm struggling, I try different powders and seating depths before switching bullets, but any change of any type can make or break an accurate load. I once switched a primer on a very accurate load when I couldn't find the preferred ones and accuracy went out the window...

OP
Choupique

Choupique

WKR
Accuracy SEEMS to be acceptable with all of them from very limited testing. The ones I shot at the paper were all piling up near each other even with the increasing powder charges, and they all hit the plate every shot. At least they aren't sailing off the paper or anything.

I'm loading up 5 tonight at 70gr and I'll see if I can sneak out and shoot them tomorrow. Hopefully I can get 1.5 moa or so out of that load. This rifle seems to shoot everything decently so I have high hopes.

OP
Choupique

Choupique

WKR
Shot 5 more today. No unplanned rifle disassembly. Made a nice pretty 1.5" group. No better than what I get from the factory load the rifle likes, but I'm just happy to see it isn't worse.

Much thanks to all of you who helped talk me into it. Having a great time so far and I'm almost excited for spring time now to zero and stretch out so home brew loads.

Yoder

WKR
First thing I ever reloaded was for my Glock 17. I remember turning my head away and closing my eyes when I pulled the trigger. I must have looked like a crazy person. I wasn't as nervous with my rifle since I had been loading for a while. The thought of the 300 win mag blowing up did make me sweat a little though.