Improving Grip Strength - Iron Mind Grippers

Loper

WKR
I was recently reading a book that suggested using the Iron Mind “Captains of Crush” to improve grip strength. Figured I might try them, but don’t know which strength/weight to get. Anybody used the Iron Mind grippers to improve grip strength? If so, which strength or weight did you start with?

work out regularly and am a guy of modest strength. I was thinking I didn’t want to start.with the 60 lb novice grippers if those are going to be too easy. However, I’ve had carpal tunnel and tennis elbow about a decade ago so I don’t know if I’d be better to start with the lightest and work up.

Ken Swenson

Lil-Rokslider
IMO, nothing can replace the forearm and grip strength benefits that comes from heavy, compound back movements.

When I was hitting the weights heavy, I built my forearms up and never did any “forearm” exercises, but noticed they’d get absolutely worked from deadlifts and heavy barbell rows. Lower impact moves that could yield the same benefits are lat pull downs and cable rows.

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I looked on mine and don’t see any markings for the weight. They are much harder than any of the older plastic ones. I know mine weren’t the firmest ones, closer to the other end, but not the very lowest

WoodBow

WKR
Another vote for Deadlifts to improve grip strength. Works like a champ. You can also do dead hangs. Dead hang time capability is one of the metrics that Peter Attia uses to assess fitness level. Farmer carries would work too.

I'm no help on the question you actually asked, but I will say that you should get on youtube and look up voodoo flossing for the elbow pain. Game changer.

LostArra

WKR
College wrestling grip strength exercises:
Deadlift
Barbell row
Chinups + max hangtime after last rep (this is extremely effective)

Strong forearms and grip strength are not the same. The grippers will definitely help a lot.

Nothing will compare to rock climbing. Or hang boarding is the closest easy button equivalent.

I think even Randy Strossen would agree that deadlifting is far better for developing grip strength than his grip trainers. They’re for when you’ve progressed so far in your training that you only deadlift heavy every 10 days or so. If you’re not there yet, keep deadlifting.