In your opinion or experience, what is the best rain gear for hunting caribou and moose in Newfoundland?

MWOhunter

FNG
In your opinion or experience, what is the best rain gear for hunting caribou and moose in Newfoundland?

mcseal2

WKR
I sweat terrible hiking in the Impertech stuff, although it works for many people. I've not been to Canada, but my First Lite SEAK jacket and Kuiu Yukon pants have worked well on 3 trips to Alaska.

Any breathable rain gear will wet out eventually I think, even the best stuff. For that reason I always take a decent ultralight poncho too. If I get in a downpour that I'm not hunting in, just waiting it out, I can throw that on. Mytrailco made my old one, and my new one is from Wilderness Innovations. I have a Onetigris one too that's cheaper and seems to work fine. They can be multipurpose too, I've made a windbreak or glassing shelter from mine a few times different places.

We have hunted in pairs in AK and each pair of us carries a Seek Outside DST tarp too. It's a good 10x10 tarp we can glass under in bad weather. One guy carries the spotter and tripod (usually me since I also have the poncho) and the other carries the tarp and stove. We were hunting from a drop camp, not backpacking.

Brendan

WKR
Helly Hansen Impertech failed faster for me than any piece of Gore Tex gear I've ever owned except maybe one Ultralight ArcTeryx piece. And, it's pretty miserable to wear.

I think it really depends how wet, and how breathable you need. My Choice if really wet would be Waterfowl gear: Orvis Pro Series Zip Front Waders (Stocking foot so you can turn them inside out and dry them at night), Sitka Delta Wading Jacket. They even have the jacket in Dark Brown if you don't want camo. That setup has been bomb proof for me and I beat the hell out of it WAY more than any of my big game gear.

medvedyt

Lil-Rokslider
guided in quebec for caribou the closest you can be from nfld ...if on a boat i will use helly hansen but not impertech the real ones used by fishermen if walking impertech will work.