Initial 6.8 Western Ammo Offerings

EmperorMA

WKR
I am seeing a 170gr Ballistic Tip and 165gr ABLR from Winchester. I am sure there will be more, as the cartridge is designed around a 175gr bullet.

Browning is also coming out with something, but I have yet to find it online.

That 170gr Ballistic Tip should be a helluva long-range deer and pronghorn smacker! The 165 ABLR will take any hooved game on this planet at fairly long ranges with its .620 BC leaving the barrel at 2950-3000!

Looking forward to seeing what offerings will be available in 175gr or even heavier. All the new rifles (Winchester XPRs and various Browning X-Bolt configurations) have either 1-8" or 1-7.5" twists, so long, heavy bullets should be plentiful.

wildcat33

WKR
Winchester could hardly do less to market the intro of this cartridge it seems. Aside from a SAAMI diagram and a few forum post I’ve seen zilch on this. Hard to imagine ammo taking off any time soon.

OP
E

EmperorMA

WKR
This just in: Browning will offer factory 6.8 Western Ammo sporting a 175gr Sierra Gamechanger!!! That should have BC close to most 180gr 7mm bullets. Add in the 165 ABLR, 170 NBT and 170 EOL, and the possibilities look fantastic!

OP
E

EmperorMA

WKR
Interesting that the first three factory offerings for this new .270 are 165gr, 170gr and 175gr bullets. That is bigger than anything ever offered in .270 Win, 270 WSM or 270 Wby Magnum.

It can compete with any of the latest cartridges out there, but they should have called it 270 PRC!

Spoonbill

WKR
Where are you finding info on this? I can’t find anything outside forum posts. I looked at winchester and brownings website and they have nothing posted.

wildcat33

WKR
Essentially this cartridge is what guys have been doing with the 270 wsm on the custom side for years. I dig it.

I wish Winchester would have modernized offerings for the 270wsm and 284win before they did this, but I guess the saami specs lock them in to an outdated standard.

WCB

WKR
I am seeing a 170gr Ballistic Tip and 165gr ABLR from Winchester. I am sure there will be more, as the cartridge is designed around a 175gr bullet.

Browning is also coming out with something, but I have yet to find it online.

That 170gr Ballistic Tip should be a helluva long-range deer and pronghorn smacker! The 165 ABLR will take any hooved game on this planet at fairly long ranges with its .620 BC leaving the barrel at 2950-3000!

Looking forward to seeing what offerings will be available in 175gr or even heavier. All the new rifles (Winchester XPRs and various Browning X-Bolt configurations) have either 1-8" or 1-7.5" twists, so long, heavy bullets should be plentiful.
Browning Ammunition is built by Winchester...just an FYI.

OP
E

EmperorMA

WKR
Browning Ammunition is built by Winchester...just an FYI.
Yup. Knew that. It is also why Nosler and Sierra are making the bullets. Winchester has collaborated with both for years.

I am hearing there is a 170 AccuBond and 162 Copper Impact (Winchester's proprietary all-copper bullet) on the way, as well. The latter is particularly interesting in that it is a new bullet that is 12gr heavier than any other .277 copper bullet in existence.

These and the original offerings (165 ABLR, 170 Ballistic Tip, 175 Gamechanger, 175 OTM) are all being made specifically for this cartridge. Winchester is using its long time partners to actually create new bullets for a new cartridge. This is extremely cool if you ask me.

Last edited:

Spoonbill

WKR
Nosler just released the 27 nosler too, would not be surprised to see several offerings from them. Who knows maybe the 270 will unseat the 6.5.