Inreach Mini 1 vs 2

treillw

WKR
It's the mini 2 worth the additional cost over the 1?

What's a great price for them? Any good sales?

Thanks!

Trueglide

FNG
If you have a mini already, it’s not worth getting a 2 imo. I had a mini and bought a mini 2, thinking it would be Ann”upgrade”, but it’s really not. That said,Rei just had the 2’s for $50 off

BBob

WKR
I’ve had both and still have the 2. Was it worth it? For me I’d probably still be fine with the 1. Battery life is a bunch better but the way I use it it wouldn’t matter, the 1 did me fine. I don’t send a lot of messages out either. Just quick check in’s here and there. The 1 did pretty well with tracking but the 2 battery life does noticeably better. The 2 can use the messenger app and the 1 cannot. Messenger adds group texts so only the 2 can group text. I’ve yet to group text and doubt I will. Menu layout is nicer in the 2 but not a biggie. There’s other small stuff but that’s all I can think of at the moment.

dboone3

Lil-Rokslider
Cabelas is going to have the v1 for $250 starting tomorrow. I think for a $150 discount the v1 seems like the better choice over the v2

I heard rumors that when the 2 came out the 1 got substantially slower just like in iPhones. Anybody have any truth to this? Bass pro does have the 1 for a great sale but if I can get longer life out of the 2 I’d rather just pay more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hikenhunt

WKR
I heard rumors that when the 2 came out the 1 got substantially slower just like in iPhones. Anybody have any truth to this? Bass pro does have the 1 for a great sale but if I can get longer life out of the 2 I’d rather just pay more

I was just using my 1 this last week and it didn't seem any slower. I was actually impressed at how fast my messages where sending.

dboone3

Lil-Rokslider

Unsubstantiated IMO. Garmin certainly makes some money from the hardware, but the subscription revenue is where they make the most money. I don't think they want to tarnish their reputation and prevent people from ever considering an upgrade.

From what I've seen the only advantage of the 2 is group messaging and better battery life. The 1 has more than adequate battery life already though.

I bought the one on sale at Cabela's.

hikenhunt

WKR
I’ve had both and still have the 2. Was it worth it? For me I’d probably still be fine with the 1. Battery life is a bunch better but the way I use it it wouldn’t matter, the 1 did me fine. I don’t send a lot of messages out either. Just quick check in’s here and there. The 1 did pretty well with tracking but the 2 battery life does noticeably better. The 2 can use the messenger app and the 1 cannot. Messenger adds group texts so only the 2 can group text. I’ve yet to group text and doubt I will. Menu layout is nicer in the 2 but not a biggie. There’s other small stuff but that’s all I can think of at the moment.
I'm curious what you mean by "messenger app" and that the 1 cannot do group texts. I use the Garmin Earthmate app. Is there a different app available to the 2?

Anecdotal, but mine (mini gen. 1) seemed to do MUCH better sending messages out since the 2 released.

BBob

WKR
I'm curious what you mean by "messenger app" and that the 1 cannot do group texts. I use the Garmin Earthmate app. Is there a different app available to the 2?
Yes. Garmin has the Messenger app for the newer devices. It’s not compatible with the original Mini. It works with the Mini 2 and the new Messenger device. It’s meant mainly for messaging (which it does well) and doesn’t have integrated mapping. You would still use the Explore app for waypoints, mapping, tracking, etc.... The Messenger app is capable of group texts with the newer compatible devices. Mini 1 cannot do group texts.

Oh and the Earthmate app is a legacy app and pretty much replaced by the Explore app. I’m not sure if the Mini 1 is compatible with Explore or not.

Last edited:
Ive had both the 1 and 2. The battery life seems a bit better, messages are a bit faster. I wouldnt say either is a reason to upgrade from the 1 if you already have it. If you don’t have either, I’d just buy the 2.

Not having to pack around an extra cord is nice as the 2 runs off usb 2.0 like everything else I use and my battery banks. The 1 uses micro usb.

And I dont *think* the 1 links up with the "garmin messenger" app which i prefer over using earthmate or explore.

Attachments

• IMG_3395.jpeg
    IMG_3395.jpeg
    140.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

BBob

WKR
I heard rumors that when the 2 came out the 1 got substantially slower just like in iPhones. Anybody have any truth to this?
I have friends on older devices including the Mini 1. We haven’t noticed any difference between my Mini 2 and the older units. We haven’t actually kept close track of this time wise but messages go in and out in a reasonable time.

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
I just bought the 2, can’t seeing buying not buying the updated model for small price difference

I replaced v1 with v2 for two reasons, both already mentioned:
- v2 connects to Explore App - much better than the old one and still being updated
- usb-c connection

I haven't noticed other improvements that would make the switch worthwhile. Both work as intended.

FishfinderAK

Lil-Rokslider
Haha
I’m still rocking one of the original DeLorme SE units.
It works so well and has such good battery life, I hate to upgrade. Except to save a few ounces…

Marshfly

WKR
Even if you only day hunt the increased battery life of the 2 is worth it.
Ever forget to charge your stuff at night? That's a non-issue with the 2. I've just left it on connected to my pack for multiple days of antelope hunting and just kind of forgot about it. It did it's job, just sending breadcrumbs so my wife could follow the entire time.