Inreach question

doginme

FNG
Question on subscription plans. If I turn this on say 3 days into a trip and I receive a dozen texts does this count against your plan. Or is it just on sending out texts. Thanks

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
All messages sent or received. However incoming messages have to be replies from your outgoing messages. Unless you give someone your in reach address. So just be careful who you give your address to.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

You don’t receive normal text messages. As rob said above you can receive replies to your messages you have sent from your inreach or if you give someone access/your in reach email address then they can initiate a conversation with you.

hikenhunt

WKR
Before my trips, I send out a message to those I want to stay in touch with that says something along the lines of: "Respond to this message to contact me but only if necessary because I have limited messages." That way I can confirm they have my correct contact info in case they need it and the instructions to use it sparingly.

All messages sent or received. However incoming messages have to be replies from your outgoing messages. Unless you give someone your in reach address. So just be careful who you give your address to.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

What I've never heard of this.
Granted I didn't read the instructions fully.
But I had no idea my wife couldn't start the text.
How do you even find your in reach address.
Dang I feel its alarming they do not make that more clear.

PhotoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Someone else can start a text. they just need your address. The best way for them to get your address is for you to send them a message.

What I've never heard of this.
Granted I didn't read the instructions fully.
But I had no idea my wife couldn't start the text.
How do you even find your in reach address.
Dang I feel its alarming they do not make that more clear.

If your inreach (or Inreach mini) is synced to your phone, all texts can come through normal because your phone and the app are paired. I have a mini which is paired to my iphone and receive texts all the time from people who dont have my direct inreach address.

If you do not have the bluetooth activated and paired to your phone, then yes they would need your inreach specific address.

Ram94

WKR
I used to be worried about going over my set amount of messages but the way I see it now, is if I need to communicate I will. It’s only 75 cents per message once you go over. So even 100 extra messages would only cost you $75. That’s a cheap lifeline when you need it imo.

I run the $25/month plan.

• Recreation Plan Details
  • Unlimited SOS
  • 40 text messages/month
  • Unlimited Preset messages (predefined messages set up on the website)
  • Unlimited tracking at 10-minute or longer intervals
  • $0.50 USD overage charge for each text message that exceeds the monthly plan allowance of 40 text messages.
  • Text messages include free-form sent messages and received messages.

brsnow

WKR
I use the basic 11.99 a month plan. During a week of hunting sending a bunch of text and weather updates my bill was $34 with the overages.