InReach SOS use summary

CJ19

WKR
I also found this interesting. Im surprised people boating at sea didnt make a larger portion. Thanks for posting this.

CHMD

FNG
I also found this interesting. Im surprised people boating at sea didnt make a larger portion. Thanks for posting this.

I was thinking the same. I really like having my inreach when 60-70 miles offshore and expected to see a much larger portion of the SOS activations resulting from being at sea.

yfarm

WKR
We carry acr epirbs for catastrophic emergencies but the inreach is used constantly to communicate with landbased family members. Typically do overnights fishing 70-150 miles offshore. Mixed blessing, one family members wife is texting him several times an hour. Elk hunting SE of Yellowstone,sitting on the side of a mountain at 11,000 ft and his office is texting him on the Inreach.

Most boaters use the ACR beacons, no subscription, always ready and waterproof. Interesting article though!
This warrants clarification. Most boaters who use satellite communication devices, use EPIRBS and PLBs. They are non-subscription based emergency satellite devices that operate off of a government SAR satellite system. These devices do not presently have 2 way capability. ACR is one of many EPIRB and PLB manufacturers. ACR also makes a Spot and Inreach competitor in the ACR Bivy Stick. It is a subscription based 2 way satellite communicator as the SPOT and Inreach are. Some boaters use both types of devices.

This warrants clarification. Most boaters who use satellite communication devices, use EPIRBS and PLBs. They are non-subscription based emergency satellite devices that operate off of a government SAR satellite system. These devices do not presently have 2 way capability. ACR is one of many EPIRB and PLB manufacturers. ACR also makes a Spot and Inreach competitor in the ACR Bivy Stick. It is a subscription based 2 way satellite communicator as the SPOT and Inreach are. Some boaters use both types of devices.
👍 just letting him know briefly why most inreach SOS aren’t boaters

Last edited:

mtnkid85

WKR
Id be interested to know how many false triggers they have. I accidentally trigged a SOS this year with my older Delmore Inreach.
I almost never leave my Inreach on, but I apparently had it on in my pack and the button got pushed. Thankfully I saw the notification on my phone and was able to cancel it, but not before the local sheriffs office was notified and they contacted all of my contacts/family members.
Ive since changed to the mini which has a much more secure SOS button.

Id be interested to know how many false triggers they have. I accidentally trigged a SOS this year with my older Delmore Inreach.
I almost never leave my Inreach on, but I apparently had it on in my pack and the button got pushed. Thankfully I saw the notification on my phone and was able to cancel it, but not before the local sheriffs office was notified and they contacted all of my contacts/family members.
I would think that since Inreach allows 2 way communication that false alerts would be much lower than they are with EPIRBS and PLBs. As in your case, there are ways for the Garmin Emergency center to follow up before full SAR force mobilization. The false alert rate with EPIRBS and PLBs is over 95%.

Southeast

FNG
Same for me - an accidental SOS activation within my pack in the Brooks Range. It went on for an hour or more before I noticed. My wife about killed me over that! She was on the phone with an AK trooper while they tried to sort it out. He told her they don't typically send help in the first hour or two unless they get an urgent reply from the SOS party in the field. Fortunately I heard that faint SOS "beep" before the chopper came roaring in!

This was an InReach SE device that is about 6 years old.