inReach to inReach location sharing?

Superdoo

WKR
Simple question...
If I'm hunting with a partner and we both have inreach, can I send my location to him?

Let's say Tim and Dave split up for the day and Tim gets an animal down. Can Tim use his inreach to not only tell Dave that the animal is down, but also show Dave where he should head to?

Runwilderness

Lil-Rokslider
Double confirm this, since I haven’t fully tested all scenarios and I may be misremembering last year‘s hunt...

Yes. You can send messages InReach to InReach. This was my primary use last year to communicate with my wife. Every txt message sent includes location information. You may need to enable this, not sure if it’s default. I use a mini. When paired to a phone using their App, the sent waypoint appears on their GPS map. I believe you can click on the point to see date, time, etc. Of course your txt can read ‘elk down on ridge above 2nd meadow”, etc if you only need generic location info to find each other.

Caveats: double confirm all of this works. My wife and I had different experiences and I’m not sure what was user error vs setting options, etc. I believe this worked off grid, but we had intermittent cell coverage, so you’ll need to confirm that, too. It’s not an Iphone chat conversation. It does lag, and you need to pair with satellites to check messages if you are looking for frequent updates. Finally, Their GPS maps aren’t as nice as OnX.

OP
Superdoo

Superdoo

WKR
I am thinking of going with a Mini, so that is the device I would like to know if this doable on. My thought is that you could notice the incoming message (at ten minute update intervals) then view it on the Garmin app on the phone. Then you could cross reference that spot onto onX (or other app) to navigate to with onX.

Does that make sense? Is it possible?

What would be ideal is if the mini also had two way radio function, but the president of R&D at Garmin won't return my LinkedIn requests! :ROFLMAO:

Freestone

Lil-Rokslider
Works great with the inreach but did not work with the newer 66i for some reason. The 66i had a different app and may have been the reason. This may also be fixed now but I know last season that was the case. Every message sends your location with it as long as you have your location turned on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jethro

WKR
I can't speak for the Mini, but everything you asked is possible with the Explorer+. As long as send location is turned on every inreach message generates a waypoint. At the end of a hunt you can see everywhere you sent a message from and everywhere your buddy was when he sent you a message. You can click on any waypoint then choose navigate and will take you to that waypoint. So in that case no need to cross reference with ONX. Sorry can't help with Mini model.

OP
Superdoo

Superdoo

WKR
I can't speak for the Mini, but everything you asked is possible with the Explorer+. As long as send location is turned on every inreach message generates a waypoint. At the end of a hunt you can see everywhere you sent a message from and everywhere your buddy was when he sent you a message. You can click on any waypoint then choose navigate and will take you to that waypoint. So in that case no need to cross reference with ONX. Sorry can't help with Mini model.

Are you clicking on the waypoints in the app on the phone or on the unit?

Jethro

WKR
Are you clicking on the waypoints in the app on the phone or on the unit?

You can do it on both the Earthmate app and hand held unit. On phone can literally tap on it. On unit highlight message and push check mark button. Brings up coordinates of where message was sent from and option to navigate

fmyth

WKR
Yes you just need to send the message to the other garmin devices [email protected] email address. You can find it by logging in to your Explore.garmin.com account. You'll also have to have location sharing turned on.

jdmaxwell

WKR
We used Earthmate app on phone with Garmin minis. Very easy to see other location on map when messaged each other

jmez

WKR
You will want to use the app on your phone if using a mini.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

muddydogs

WKR
My thought is that you could notice the incoming message (at ten minute update intervals) then view it on the Garmin app on the phone. Then you could cross reference that spot onto onX (or other app) to navigate to with onX.

Be aware that with the Mini and I think the 66i also the check message interval is 1 hour not 10 minutes. There is no setting for this interval like on the other Inreach models. The Mini is supposed to check for messages every time a track point is sent so it can check every ten minutes if you are actively tracking. I don't track with the Mini so I have to manually ask the mini to check for messages every once in a while if I'm expecting a message or in an active conversation.