Insoles..... are factory insoles not adequate?

I see a lot of chatter about insoles. Are the insoles from the top boot manufacturers not adequate?

Do you replace inserts on a new boot or wait until they breakdown?

Are insoles just for people with foot issues?

Scrappy

WKR
I use factory crispi insoles until they breakdown. Some others brands I've replaced right off to get a better fit.

Poser

WKR
The short answer is no. No manufacture can make a one size fits all insole. I’d go so far to say that serious, performance footwear should not come with a generic insole because they are that useless.

mlgc20

WKR
I always replace my factory insoles with Superfeet Blues or Superfeet Carbons. I would be fine with Posers proposal of just getting rid of the generic insoles. They work fine for trying on boots for general fit. Otherwise, I don't see their point.

Trial153

WKR
Depends on the boot, I like zamberlan and Crispi insoles as much as the after market ones i have bought. Depends on the boots

GotDraw?

WKR
@Poser is 100% correct.

Pull out your factory insoles, they ALL suck. Keep them as templates.

Get yourself some high performance insoles. I use SOLE brand, Dean Karnazas model. SOLE insoles are awesom, they are custom heat moldable in your home oven. NEVER had toe-jam from steep downhilling, never had a single blister using these insoles.

Do one boot at a time. Put on your hunting socks.
Trace your original insoles onto your insole replacements as a pattern, cut off the excess on the new insoles with scissors. Put on your right boot w/the factory insole and lace it up. Work on the left boot first, pop the new left boot insole in the oven at 200 degrees, remove when properly heated and quickly insert into your left boot. Lace the boot up tightly , as if for hunting, the stand with your feet together and weight in both feet while the insole cools. Now do the other boot.

Put on your backpack and go for a hike, if the arch seems too high, then reheat and re-form each insole per the above and try again. You can reheat and re-mold up to 4x.

You will love these. Do not worry that the insoles are firm, the boot sole provides cushioning. The insole provides support and keeps your foot from sliding. My feet have never been tired with these insoles.

You may be tempted to buy some soft gel style inserts, I decided not to get that style because my feet already get hot and sweaty. I did not want gel/plastic below them trapping moisture and creating a biosphere for athletes foot.

JL

eagle#eyes

Lil-Rokslider
I see a lot of chatter about insoles. Are the insoles from the top boot manufacturers not adequate?

Do you replace inserts on a new boot or wait until they breakdown?

Are insoles just for people with foot issues?

The after market insert I used pushed my heel up to high and the boot didn't fit the same way to the point it was unwearable and hurt my Achilles. I didn't "need" a new insole but wanted to try one for the same reason you posted this question. I think it is worth it to try the boots for a while with the original insole and then with and after market one to compare.

MattB

WKR
The thing to consider is aftermarket footbeds often add volume and change boot fit.

I have tried Super Feet Green and LS Synergy in a few pairs of my boots but all my boots still have the factory insoles. Guess my feet are fine with the factory fodder. Only reason I switched is folks saying how great they were. I would run the boots as is and then decide if you need a change.

The thing to consider is aftermarket footbeds often add volume and change boot fit.
My problem with almost all aftermarket insoles. Do you have to size the boot to fit an aftermarket insole when you buy the boot? Pushes my heel out of the pocket and takes more toe room than I want to give up.

MattB

WKR
My problem with almost all aftermarket insoles. Do you have to size the boot to fit an aftermarket insole when you buy the boot? Pushes my heel out of the pocket and takes more toe room than I want to give up.

If you want to be exacting, I think you need to pick your insole and try boots on with the insoles in them.

Brettboss

FNG
Yeah, I've run both Sole and Super Feet and didn't find a huge benefit to be honest, but I will say they're good for taking up space within the boot for a more snug fit. I do think the factory insoles will break down faster. Agree on buying the insole, then finding a boot.

Smokey12

Lil-Rokslider
I bought superfeet blues and they have worked great. If it it didn't work for my foot I may have went the sheepfeet route but 200 and change is a lot for insoles alone.

DOESLAYER

Lil-Rokslider
I just took out my insoles on my Crispi Nevada's they look a bit flimsy and very thin.

I was thinking of these

anyone have exp with these saw the recent article on their custom boot system...

Smokey12

Lil-Rokslider
I tried the high country foot beds didn't like them. The superfeet blue I just got feel good but have not put them through the ringer yet.

Hondo

WKR
The Meindl Perfekt cork insoles, now the Comfort Fit insoles are the only factory insoles I have come across that are worth keeping in the boots. Most of my boots have Superfeet insoles in them.

KineKilla

WKR
Keen boots usually feel great for me right out of the box. However, I do wear a Spenco Original insole in my right boot only on my hunting boots. I tend to over pronate that one foot when walking.

My latest pair of Keens received the same one foot insole treatment. Sucks having to buy a L/R set when I only need the right foot though.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk