Insoles…. Where to start?

I want to try some insoles……Not because I am having any foot problems but just to see if they improve boot comfort.

Where do I start? I see most insoles run around 50.00 so I do not want to purchase several types/brands. I get it may be a trial and error type of thing but Just looking a good place to start. I want to see if insoles make a difference over factory boot insoles.

thx in advance for the advice.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
I ran the Superfeet Guides for numerous years, in all of my Crispi boots…big difference.

Switched to Sheepfeet custom orthotics last year and the difference was 3x that of when I switched to Superfeet!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just started using Superfeet insoles a couple of months ago, and am impressed so far. Used those Dr Scholl's from the kiosks in Walmart before, and they worked good, but didn't last very long before I needed new ones.

Depending on how much you want to spend, I'm sure Sheepfeet is the best you'll get without going to a Podiatrist.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I think it’s beneficial to have your feet measured at a reputable shoe or running store. I made the mistake of buying an insole with too high of an arch my first go.

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
Watching........I hear good things about Sheepfeet, thinking of giving them a try myself. Not real impressed with the run-of-the-mill, off the shelf brands.

I want to try some insoles……Not because I am having any foot problems but just to see if they improve boot comfort.

Where do I start? I see most insoles run around 50.00 so I do not want to purchase several types/brands. I get it may be a trial and error type of thing but Just looking a good place to start. I want to see if insoles make a difference over factory boot insoles.

thx in advance for the advice.
Superfeet green is where I started and they are as good as advertised. I am wearing a pair now and have a pair in every pair of boots I own.

If you start there, you won't be making a mistake.

Sheepfeet. Spend more than a few dollars on various inserts and finally bit the bullet. They are custom orthotics that fit your feet. Worth every dollar I spent on them. Search 'Sheepfeet' in this forum and you will get some great reviews, and at the same time some reviews from others where they didn't work so great. Like everyone says, buy once, cry once!

tdot

WKR
1st place to start is to have your feet measured, knowing how you weight your feet and how your foot strikes the ground will help guide you towards individual models within each brand. It will also help cancel some brands. Insoles are like boots, something that works for me, won't necessarily work for you.

Personally I'd suggest custom orthodics, especially if you have a medical plan.

FlatlanderMN

FNG
Classified Approved
I’m in the get your feet measured camp. I ended up getting insoles from Lathrop and Sons. I’m happy with the results.

Reactions: WRM

Honyock

WKR
I use the Lathrop & Sons Synergy insoles and really like them. For whatever reason, my feet didn't like the Superfeet.

Reactions: WRM

Roscoehd

FNG
Good info, I need some insoles for a pair of Danners, was leaning towards Superfeet.

timberbuck

Lil-Rokslider
Superfeet green are best for those with high arches, I have neutral arches and they worked for me in a couple pairs of boots but I don't use them anymore as the foam is a little too hard for my liking.

If you just want to replace the useless factory insoles in your boots I would recommend a nice memory foam insole to start. Replace as needed. Won't change boot volume.

Zamberlan sells a 3mm memory foam insole on their website for $15. I run these in my crispi and meindl boots and they are great/all I need.

qwerksc

WKR
Curex, I picked em up from a running store, put on lots of miles last season, did 8 miles yesterday, the are the same as new. Stock insoles are dog shit after a few hundred miles.

OP
B
So since I’ve started this thread……I ordered some Superfeet Trailblazers after going thru their on line selection process.

I have tested the trailblazers out in both my broke in Crispi Nevada’s and my new Crispi Summits. Just by testing around the yard and house for a few days in both boots. I can’t see much difference. I can feel the superfeet trailblazers riding up a bit on the back part of my arch (more than the stock insoles) but nothing uncomfortable.

One place I can tell a difference is the Superfeet keeps my toes back from the front of my boot when I simulate an extreme downhill walk on my stairs. My toes have been sore on more than one occasion after doing a lot of extreme downhill walks.

I do feel like the arch support in the Superfeet may be a little to far towards my heel. Feels like the support needs to move up a 1/4” or so….

I guess I have a regular foot because I can not tell that much of a difference. I may try another type/brand of insole. Just looking to make my good boots better.

Last edited:

Jimss

WKR
Everyone’s feet are different. I need a lot more cushion for my feet. All the superfeet I’ve tried are way too hard. Cheaper spencos work pretty well that I replace around twice/ year. I also wear different thickness socks with padding in the bottoms

warrenw41

FNG
I have never used replacement insoles before. Just bought Green Superfeet and Superfeet Trailblazers. Waiting on my sheep feet to get here. Once I have had some time to test all three I will report back. So far, I like the Trailblazers better than the green superfeet. Hopefully the sheepfeet will work even better.