Insulated vs uninsulated boots..

Jpr778

FNG
Looking for some recommendations on insulated vs uninsulated western boot. I Will be hunting in Colorado late October Early November. Would you guys think I’d be better off getting lighter insulated boots, say 200-400g, or uninsulated so I can wear for early season as well? Will have Arctic Shield Boot insulators whichever way I decide to go.

ROKnROAL

FNG
I have never felt the need for insulated boots, use Lowa Caminos year round. As long as I’m moving my feet never get cold, and I just change sock weight to suit the time of year. If you’re hunting in a blind/stand then insulated boots would have their benefits.

Poser

WKR
I don’t have a pair of insulated boots for hunting. During 3rd rifle, I wear mountaineering socks and tie my boots looser to accommodate. Down booties for glassing. An insulated pair could be useful, depending on the year, but if it’s one or the other, I’m going uninsulated in SW CO. Further north will be different.

Uninsulated you should be fine.

With any hiking at all - you’ll want uninsulated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never felt the need for insulated boots, use Lowa Caminos year round. As long as I’m moving my feet never get cold, and I just change sock weight to suit the time of year. If you’re hunting in a blind/stand then insulated boots would have their benefits.
Totally agree. Sitting in a whitetail stand - insulated. Hiking/hunting in the mountains - no insulation.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Hiking in deep snow all day can make for some mighty cold toes. I've always used insulated boots for later seasons. Most the time I used my Sorel pac boots.

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for uninsulated. I rarely even use insulated in late November. If your moving much insulated will be miserable

MTtrout

WKR
If I was to only take (or buy) one pair of boots uninsulated for sure. I still prefer uninsulated even with deep snow. Only if the temps really drop I’ll pull out the insulated pack boots. If it helps my feet always get cold and still prefer uninsulated boots. Changing socks daily has helped.

Now my two uncles still wear insulated rubber boots all over the mountains so I guess everyone’s feet are different

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with everyone else. Uninsulated if you are moving at all unless it was really cold, like 0f or lower.

I can't wear anything insulated, doesn't matter how deep the snow is my feet will sweat then they'll freeze. I stay warmer in uninsulated.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
Hiking in deep snow all day can make for some mighty cold toes. I've always used insulated boots for later seasons. Most the time I used my Sorel pac boots.
Are you able to hike for distance in Sorels? I’ve never found a pair that fit my foot good enough to do any kind of distance or hilly terrain in them

I don’t use insulated boots here in colorado either, BUT if the snow is deep and I know I will be out in it for any length of time, I switch to my plastic mountaineering boots.

ChrisAU

WKR
I can't wear anything insulated, doesn't matter how deep the snow is my feet will sweat then they'll freeze. I stay warmer in uninsulated.

This x100000. I believe insulated boots are a nearly a scam. Sweaty feet = cold feet. So many people that claim to have cold feet issues would be amazed at how warm their feet would be if they were dry.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Are you able to hike for distance in Sorels? I’ve never found a pair that fit my foot good enough to do any kind of distance or hilly terrain in them
Yep. My Sorels are some of the most comfortable boots I own. But I generally don't hunt outside of September anymore, so they don't get much use. During rifle I used to hike further than now during archery........just to stay warm. Hike nonstop from before first light to until the day was done. I hate being cold. But I've also used 800gm Thinsulate boots during archery elk without any issues with my feet.

jpmulk

WKR
I roughed it out for years with uninsulated boots. If you keep moving you will be mostly fine. Although I have had a few times in montana where I couldn’t really feel my feet. I finally bought a 400 insulated pair last year for when it gets really cold. If you plan on doing much sitting, think you will want them. But, you will have to manage moisture to make sure your feet don’t sweat. If they sweat and then freeze you could be in trouble.

If I'm walking I don't need insulation beyond thick wool socks, unless the temps are 25 degrees F or less. Then I'd want 200-400g boots

For deer hunting from a tree... 1000g boots are necessary

Motown

WKR
Like everyone has pretty much already stated, if you’re planning on moving a lot stick with uninsulated, but if sitting a lot insulated has it’s benefits.

I stand hunt a majority of the time and insulated is a must for me just due to all day sits in 20-40 degree temps. Even with all day sits my Crispi Wild Rocks in 400g are perfect for what I need.