Interesting gun-ban bill - GOSAFE

Any lawmaker introducing or supporting Unconstitutional laws need to be removed from office. what do they take an oath for If not gonna follow it? sounds like treason punishable by a noose. Fuggin crooks and liars.

Martin Heinrich (D) NM is the author. The bill goes after mechanics, not appearance. Gas operated firearms with detachable magazines, in a nutshell.

He talked about how dangerous these "weapons" were in a press conference about the bill's introduction.

The widely popular Ruger 10/22 is one of those this bill attacks. Single-shot and bolt actions are okay. "You may keep those, but not the other". So saith the collective...

Flyjunky

WKR
Control, control, control. It is unreal how many voters "want" to be sheep, but then also "demand" that everyone else be sheep as well.......while voting in wolves. SMH
Sheep, yes, and it’s easy to get sheep because a vast majority are so uneducated on issues like this.

WKR
Martin Heinrich (D) NM is the author. The bill goes after mechanics, not appearance. Gas operated firearms with detachable magazines, in a nutshell.

He talked about how dangerous these "weapons" were in a press conference about the bill's introduction.

The widely popular Ruger 10/22 is one of those this bill attacks. Single-shot and bolt actions are okay. "You may keep those, but not the other". So saith the collective...
I am under the impression that the bill actually goes after any semi-automatic rifle with a detachable magazine.

It does provide exemptions for rimfire rifles, so I think the 10/22 is okay.

I am under the impression that the bill actually goes after any semi-automatic rifle with a detachable magazine.

I read the Meateater summary, and it was pretty decent.

It seeks to ban all gas-operated AND blow-back systems, excluding semi-auto shotguns and .22LR. It oddly exempts most semi-auto handguns with some exceptions, but does have a 15 round max capacity line.

Garbage bill all around and would effectively ban new sales of any AR/MSR variant as well as mini-14s, etc... The "compromises" are included to entice moderate Rhinos to get onboard in the senate, and if it passes the senate, they hope to carry momentum into the House.

They are somewhat clever in going after action instead of cosmetics. That way they can increase the scope to rifles formerly "missed" by assault weapons bans like wood stocked mini-14s. But oh gosh, they're throwing us a bone and "letting us" keep our 10/22s... Just another flavor of the same $hit.

Flyjunky

WKR
If passed I’m assuming this would also eliminate the ability to buy replacement components, ie bolt carrier, gas blocks, etc?

"...the bill defines “gas-operated” as including blowback-operated and recoil-operated systems as well. These systems are less common in high-powered rifles, but their inclusion expands the ban to include virtually every type of semi-automatic rifle and many AR-type pistols. In fact, the GOSAFE Act is broader and more restrictive than other types “assault weapon” bans because it would prohibit rifles like the Ruger Mini-14, a semi-automatic rifle that does not usually get caught up in gun bans."

This is probably the most interesting and confounding part of the bill.

"Most modern semi-automatic handguns chambered in 9mm or .45 ACP are recoil operated, but some (like many models from gun company Hi-Point) are blowback operated. It is unclear why recoil-operated handguns were exempted, but others were not.

The handgun exemption is also noteworthy because, according to the FBI, handguns are used in the vast majority of homicides in the U.S. In 2022, handguns were used in 41% of homicides while rifles of any kind were used in 3%. (Hands, fists, and feet were also used in 3% of homicides, while knives or cutting instruments were used in 8%.)"

So vast majority of murders are committed with handguns, and more people are killed with edged weapons and just as many are beat to death, but they're going after rifles. Just another affirmation of the type of non-data or logic based decision making happens in congress. Must be going after "long guns" because they're scarier.

If the 10/22 is a tube feed magazine. If it's a 10 round detachable though...

In short, heinrich's approach is ti disadvantage any and all firearm offenders to law enforcement.

What heinrich and those who support these bills don't want to admit in public is thise people don't give a flying rip about doing a background check to obtain any firearm, so it does nothing but tick off the people who make politicians even relevant.

Flyjunky

WKR
"...the bill defines “gas-operated” as including blowback-operated and recoil-operated systems as well. These systems are less common in high-powered rifles, but their inclusion expands the ban to include virtually every type of semi-automatic rifle and many AR-type pistols. In fact, the GOSAFE Act is broader and more restrictive than other types “assault weapon” bans because it would prohibit rifles like the Ruger Mini-14, a semi-automatic rifle that does not usually get caught up in gun bans."

This is probably the most interesting and confounding part of the bill.

"Most modern semi-automatic handguns chambered in 9mm or .45 ACP are recoil operated, but some (like many models from gun company Hi-Point) are blowback operated. It is unclear why recoil-operated handguns were exempted, but others were not.

The handgun exemption is also noteworthy because, according to the FBI, handguns are used in the vast majority of homicides in the U.S. In 2022, handguns were used in 41% of homicides while rifles of any kind were used in 3%. (Hands, fists, and feet were also used in 3% of homicides, while knives or cutting instruments were used in 8%.)"

So vast majority of murders are committed with handguns, and more people are killed with edged weapons and just as many are beat to death, but they're going after rifles. Just another affirmation of the type of non-data or logic based decision making happens in congress. Must be going after "long guns" because they're scarier.
It’s not about preventing gun violence, it’s never been about that, because if it was they would be trying to ban handguns. Like you said, handguns account for more deaths per year. I’ve said this before but it will be easier to get support to ban AR type weapons than handguns. Let’s say AR type weapons get banned, yet gun violence doesn’t go down, what’s next…handguns, and on down the line.

Isn’t Heinrich the big hero of sportsmen and endorsed by BHA and other sportsmen organizations? I don’t bring that up to discount the work he has done for wildlife conservation. It may start to divide the pro-hunting constituency and that’s the last thing we need.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
If passed I’m assuming this would also eliminate the ability to buy replacement components, ie bolt carrier, gas blocks, etc?
I read the proposed bill text and it appears that it will come down to the interpretation of “combination of parts” by the DOJ/ATF.

“Combination of parts” is used to both prohibit the modification of an existing firearm and assembly of a new firearm in the bill text, so I think it would be within the realm of the possible for that to cover any parts that are integral to semi-auto function. Like I said though, it would come down to interpretation on the part of the regulatory agencies.

I’m not a lawyer but I’ve spent more time than I cared to working in a Legislative Affairs office, so I’m not unfamiliar with staring at legislative text. As someone mentioned previously, this is bill is pretty much DOA. I’d be surprised to see this even brought up for a vote heading into an election year with control of the Senate on the line. Manchin retiring, Sinema going independent, and 23 D-controlled Senate seats, many in red or purple states (compared to 11 R-controlled seats) would lead me to believe that Schumer is going to be fairly cautious with what gets brought forward before November 2024. He needs 60 votes for cloture and I just don’t see that happening.

Link to the bill text if anyone is interested:
https://www.heinrich.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/gosafe_bill_text.pdf

The “common sense” people don’t have any desire for independence anymore.

It scares me to think about what this country would be like if they got what they want.

It's even more scary that people actually believe the Constitution grants power to the government to control and take away from law abiding citizens.

Quite the opposite in fact. It clearly outlines what the government cannot do, and this bill is one of them...

Isn’t Heinrich the big hero of sportsmen and endorsed by BHA and other sportsmen organizations? I don’t bring that up to discount the work he has done for wildlife conservation. It may start to divide the pro-hunting constituency and that’s the last thing we need.

Yes, he is. A wolf in sheep's clothing. He doesn't even live in NM.