Intermediate fly rod

zacattack

WKR
So I’ve been banging around with my bass pro fly rod for a couple of years and am ready to graduate to something better. I don’t want to break the bank so what’s a good intermediate fly rod? Would like to stay around $200 to 250 or something that I could pick up used.

Take a look at the loop Q. Haven’t fished one but some trustworthy reviewers have very positive things to say about them. I’ll probably add one to the arsenal soon enough.

For your price range a TFO is a GREAT choice. Check out Mystic Rods, they have the Reaper X on sale right now for $150. Haven't personally used them but I've talked to a couple guys that love them and I've been really eyeballing them with their current sale. Bomber fly rods look pretty cool but don't know much about them. Moonshine rods are another that pop up on my radar a lot these days but again, haven't had a chance to test them but they're right there in your price range. I personally use the Orvis Recon 9' 4wt a ton and I've been wearing out a Hardy Demon 10' 4wt lately. Great rods but may be a little higher than what you are looking to spend.

For your price range a TFO is a GREAT choice. Check out Mystic Rods, they have the Reaper X on sale right now for $150. Haven't personally used them but I've talked to a couple guys that love them and I've been really eyeballing them with their current sale. Bomber fly rods look pretty cool but don't know much about them. Moonshine rods are another that pop up on my radar a lot these days but again, haven't had a chance to test them but they're right there in your price range. I personally use the Orvis Recon 9' 4wt a ton and I've been wearing out a Hardy Demon 10' 4wt lately. Great rods but may be a little higher than what you are looking to spend.
Second on the mystic rods, got one and love it.

I wanted to add 200-250 will not get an intermediate rod unless you go used. That being said trout in smaller rivers do not require a high-end Rod. I typically use Scott rods as I like to support local but there are many brands coming out in the 400-500 range that would get you into that intermediate space.

Look at the various Echo offerings - IMO, their workmanship and performance are on par at lower price points. I also started using Coastal Creek Outfitters who can build custom rods from TFO blanks with options at less price than TFO mfg. rod and TFO warranty. I have a Pro II and Mangrove made from Coastal. From Echo, have 3S and Trout. All I can recommend, but plan to check out their lower priced Dry and sell Trout to save some cash.

Orvis Clearwater

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I teach beginner fly fishing programs and these are rods I use. Cast well, have a warranty, etc.

Orvis just redesigned the line up this year so I can't speak for new design but the previous models in 10ft 4wt and 8.5ft 5wt are particularly nice.

As of yesterday our guests have busted 20 fly rods for us this year. Haven’t found one brand that’s bullet proof yet.
Sage was disappointed we didn’t get photos but will honor the warranty on an 8 wt. a grizz decided to play with.
For my money the best bargain for big water sockeye, silvers and rainbows are the TFO 8 wts we got this year, in your price range.
Sage has a rod out this year that a number of our guests showed up with. Cabelas had it for 320.00 I was told. I fished those some, liked them. I think those are a very good rod for the money also.
My personal preference are Winston rods.
Have fun.

There isnt anything that needs to be done that cant be done with most of the 200 to 500$ rods at this point, you can spend more, I have a will however I am not kidding myself that I needed to.

Go to an actual fly shop and cast some rods in the weight length you are interested in. Something will feel right to you. At that price point TFO is hard to beat, great warranty service. But they are mass produced, Not every rod comes off the line as good as the next all the more reason to go to a shop and cast some rods.

TFO is a great rod for the money, particularly in your price range. If you can swing up to around $300-$350 you can find a used Winston BIIX. I have a couple of them in different weights, it is rare I take any of my other rods off the shelf.

TFO builds some great stuff, plus the lifetime warranty. I've got a few different models.

Also people may laugh, but no joke my favorite rod right now is the Cabelas CGR Fiberglass. It's typically on sale for around 60 bucks. I've never loved casting another rod more, and I have cast all the high end boys.

Back