Interpreting Book Load Data

Hschweers

Lil-Rokslider
Alright, I’m back with more noob questions:

Planning on loading up some 178 ELD-M over Accurate 2520 for my Tikka 308. It’s what I have on hand.

I can’t find load data from a supplier for this combo. However, Hodgdon has plenty of 2520 loads behind 175s and 180s. I figured I’d split the middle (since grain weight is in the middle) but I don’t understand how to. They have 6 180gr bullets and 2 175gr bullets with 2520. The 180s have the highest and lowest starting charge (between the 8 different bullets) and they also have the highest and lowest max charge (between the 8 different bullets). Basically, it seems you should start anywhere from 39-41gr and max out anywhere from 43-45.5gr.

Now here’s my issue, I drive 50 minutes to the range. I want to load up 3 rounds each at varying charge weights that aren’t too low (to not waste components on a load I won’t use) and not too high (so I don’t load a dozen rounds I’ll have to pull apart cause I hit pressure very early).

How do you interpret data for a bullet that’s not listed anywhere? Thanks!

Last edited:

Tmac

WKR
Probably not something I’d do, but I’m fairly novice reloading wise. That said, there is more than just bullet weight to consider, you also need to consider the bullet bearing surface. If you are using a bullet with a longer bearing surface than the bullets in the books you are looking at, pressures can vary.

For me, since I’m essentially setting off an explosion just in front of my face, I want to be very safe. I am sure some very experienced reloaders would be much more helpful than me, and may be able to help you safely get it done.

MThuntr

WKR
I'd probably use the 180SST data from Hodgdon's load data. It's probably the most similar (even though they are different designs) to the ELD m of those in their data. Don't overcomplicate the process...starting low and working up.

You could do a ladder method to find your max and velocity nodes. It would potentially use less components but you'd have to take a second trip to test some nodes.

Harvey_NW

WKR
I'd probably use the 180SST data from Hodgdon's load data. It's probably the most similar (even though they are different designs) to the ELD m of those in their data. Don't overcomplicate the process...starting low and working up.
This is what I would do as well.

You could do a ladder method to find your max and velocity nodes. It would potentially use less components but you'd have to take a second trip to test some nodes.
The pressure ladder is always a good route to take for safety precautions, I agree with that as well especially with using cross referenced data. But velocity nodes don't exist. It's been proven by the Government, Hornady, Litz, and many more. Just load to the highest safe velocity, or a velocity that suits the needs of your intent with the load, and shoot larger samples for better data.

marjje

FNG
Not sure if you ever got the answer to your question, but Hornady load data has a COL of 2.800". Starting charge for AA2520 is 35.2gr and a max charge of 44.0gr. Same as the 180 SST.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230810-110041.png
    Screenshot_20230810-110041.png
    228.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20230810-110249.png
    Screenshot_20230810-110249.png
    333.9 KB · Views: 8