Just for discussion - 300 WSM Data

OP
Shorthunter
One possible reason book being 10% less than SAAMI max is so that if a batch of powder runs hotter than what they tested with, the load is at max and not 10% over max.
I would think their manufacturing tolerances on each batch would keep each lot of powder within 2% of their baseline. They surely can't have a +/- 10% tolerance built into their quality assurance checks when testing their product.

OP
Shorthunter
Your groups are too small.

🤣Yep. For practical purposes like hunting and plinking steel plates, I put far too much effort into finding a tenth of an inch here and there. For the potential PRS and F-Class rifles, it is worth it

🤣Yep. For practical purposes like hunting and plinking steel plates, I put far too much effort into finding a tenth of an inch here and there. For the potential PRS and F-Class rifles, it is worth it

Every top national level PRS shooter i've seen discuss it has said they primarily use known cartridges and loads and dont spend a bunch of effort chasing unicorns.

A382DWDZQ

WKR
I would think their manufacturing tolerances on each batch would keep each lot of powder within 2% of their baseline. They surely can't have a +/- 10% tolerance built into their quality assurance checks when testing their product.
Probably want to contact the publishers then and see if they can put out an errata for the books on that.

OP
Shorthunter
Probably want to contact the publishers then and see if they can put out an errata for the books on that.
Hornady couldn't explain why they show 69.1 grains as max when Hogdon data has 65.0 as the max, producing 63,200psi when pushing a 165 grain bullet. Their (Hornady) data is what made me post the original question 🤷

A382DWDZQ

WKR
To me, that's kind of a loose comparison, so I would expect there to be some variance. The first one is very specific, the second is a different bullet construction, and the 3rd encompasses a variety of different bullets. I've found that if you compare data with relative component and test barrel specs, you get a lot more consistent results. And I don't believe in nodes, but that's been beat to death.
@Harvey_NW already answered that question earlier. You aren’t looking at load data for a Nosler Partion.

My 174 grain Hammer Hunter bullets loads beat advertised velocities for 175 gr and H4350 combo by nearly 300 fps. Love those Hammer bullets.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk