Iphone 12 Pro Max vs 12 Pro?

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Going to upgrade soon and am wondering if anyone has used both the pro max and pro of the latest iphone series?

I see minor camera differences and a longer lasting battery in addition to the larger screen but what else? Don't need the larger screen but he bigger battery sounds great for what I do.

Any opinions?

ShakeDown

WKR
I just went through the same decision and am glad I went with the pro. Comparatively speaking the size of the pro is larger than my old 8. I think I would have a hard time carrying anything larger in my pocket.

That extra battery life is tempting though.

Sidenote - I’ve actually had some issues with 5G and WiFi connectivity since switching. Google tells me this is a common issue with the 12 models, which is pretty frustrating.

WMag338

WKR
I just got the 12 Pro Max. I have larger hands and it isn't an issue. My wife hates it. Calls it a "phablet". Battery life is excellent. Being on it most of the day for work and at the end of the day, its seldom below 30%. Can't comment on the regular pro.

Side note that I wasn't aware of with this phone is dual sims. I have verizon as my primary and AT&T as an esim. When hunting or traveling, I can use either carrier depending on who has better service. I got an AT&T prepaid esim plan for around $30/month.

Beendare

WKR
The smaller version has the same size screen as my big i10.

I felt latest big version is too big for my pocket.

I like my i12 but the battery isn’t that much better than the I 10

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I just went through the same decision and am glad I went with the pro. Comparatively speaking the size of the pro is larger than my old 8. I think I would have a hard time carrying anything larger in my pocket.

That extra battery life is tempting though.

Sidenote - I’ve actually had some issues with 5G and WiFi connectivity since switching. Google tells me this is a common issue with the 12 models, which is pretty frustrating.
Thanks for the feedback, hopefully they fix the connectivity soon.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I just got the 12 Pro Max. I have larger hands and it isn't an issue. My wife hates it. Calls it a "phablet". Battery life is excellent. Being on it most of the day for work and at the end of the day, its seldom below 30%. Can't comment on the regular pro.

Side note that I wasn't aware of with this phone is dual sims. I have verizon as my primary and AT&T as an esim. When hunting or traveling, I can use either carrier depending on who has better service. I got an AT&T prepaid esim plan for around $30/month.
I had no idea there were phones that had multiple sim cards. This could be huge, is it only the Pro max?

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
The smaller version has the same size screen as my big i10.

I felt latest big version is too big for my pocket.

I like my i12 but the battery isn’t that much better than the I 10
I have the Xs and have never thought the battery life was bad. Just thinking I might get away without external battery packs with the max on 2-3 day trips backpacking.

FrankAbagnale

Lil-Rokslider
I have the pro max and use dual sims. I'm used to the big screen now and it hasn't been a problem in my pockets. The battery life is great!

Beendare

WKR
Went with the 12Pro, thanks for all the input.
FWIW,
I’ve used the i10 and the i12 on extended pack in and Alaska trips using it as my GPS and taking pictures and such. No phone calls of course because we were out of range.

in both cases I would say there’s very little difference in battery life, maybe just a tad more with the 12.

The thing you do notice is the 12 takes much better pictures, it’s significant.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
FWIW,
I’ve used the i10 and the i12 on extended pack in and Alaska trips using it as my GPS and taking pictures and such. No phone calls of course because we were out of range.

in both cases I would say there’s very little difference in battery life, maybe just a tad more with the 12.

The thing you do notice is the 12 takes much better pictures, it’s significant.

That is exactly why I am switching from the Xs. That camera will help with my article pics big time. I never had short battery life with the Xs so I should be good to go. Hope you are well out in sunny Cali

WMag338

WKR
Went with the 12Pro, thanks for all the input.
Congrats on your purchase. Check out the dual sims. I've really been liking it. I have a traditional post-paid verizon account as my primary and use a pre-paid AT&T for my esim. With the latest iOS update, it allows you to get 5G service on both lines. FYI, I tried using a TMobile pre-paid esim and it was terribly buggy. Deleted it and went with AT&T, no problems since.