iPhone 13 (actually, 14) with satellite connectivity

Goatboy22

FNG
I take 8 1/2 by 11 inch copies of topos and an old aerial photo. Oh, and a Res -Q- Link in case I snap a femur (for my wife's peace of mind). Kill my bull every year and never been lost! I know, I know, just a behind the times old man, but I sure have fun! And I don't carry a portable bidet either.....

Mtnboy

WKR
Been using an InReach for going on 5 years and I have 2 instances where messages did not send, I'm not in a panic over it.... but nothing is foolproof.

The Garmin is designed and tested to be more durable than an iPhone. I'd trust a Garmin with my life. Not an iPhone (which is what I said above).
The newer iPhones are tough as nails. My iPhone 11 spent about 3hrs at the bottom of the Homer boat harbor, about 20’ deep and still works perfectly I’ve ra year later. Not to mention the many drops on really hard surfaces. I have an explorer+ and a mini and I’ve broken older inreaches. The older phones were undoubtedly not as durable, but I’m not so sure about the newer ones. I sold my maritime 11 to my buddy and have a 12 mini that has been beat to hell.

The newer iPhones are tough as nails. My iPhone 11 spent about 3hrs at the bottom of the Homer boat harbor, about 20’ deep and still works perfectly I’ve ra year later. Not to mention the many drops on really hard surfaces. I have an explorer+ and a mini and I’ve broken older inreaches. The older phones were undoubtedly not as durable, but I’m not so sure about the newer ones. I sold my maritime 11 to my buddy and have a 12 mini that has been beat to hell.

What are the battery specs like? I've been concerned about prolonged cold temps. I've had phones shut down because they were too cold.

iPhone, iPad, iPod, and Apple Watch work best at 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C) ambient temperatures. Storage temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C)

It can often get below freezing hunting. I've had phones crap out in that 10-15 deg F range.

Kilboars

WKR
It’s this why Elon Musk is putting all those satellites in orbit? I think it will put an end to the cell towers as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are the battery specs like? I've been concerned about prolonged cold temps. I've had phones shut down because they were too cold.

iPhone, iPad, iPod, and Apple Watch work best at 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C) ambient temperatures. Storage temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C)

It can often get below freezing hunting. I've had phones crap out in that 10-15 deg F range.
The mini doesn’t have the biggest battery, but it charges fast. I work up in the Arctic and the cold used to smoke the older batteries pretty fast. I’m not outside for prolonged periods of time like I used to, so I’m not really sure.

Poser

WKR

Keep it in a pocket next your skin -front pant pocket works great as does a cheat pocket. I’ve been out snowboarding in minus 20 with no issues with my phone.

Also:

Keep it in a pocket next your skin -front pant pocket works great as does a cheat pocket. I’ve been out snowboarding in minus 20 with no issues with my phone.

Also:

Sure, but it's not of any use in my pocket. When I navigate, I take it out. That's the whole point. Having packed out the first load of an elk by myself in the dark during blinding snowfall, you need it out pretty often or you get turned around pretty easily. Quite a bit different than always going downhill in the daylight. I'm considering the most extreme use cases obviously but I do that for stuff I depend on to keep me alive.

I don't have one yet, but whenever I do draw that late season deer tag I'll be getting a Garmin Montana 750i or whatever fits that function at the time. They advertise -20F as an operating temperature and in my experience with other Garmin products with similar ratings I'd trust it.

Man, some of these companies like Zoleo or Garmin probably saw this coming, but satellite connectivity through a phone will kill that segment of their business or their business model as a whole.
Wait until AST Spacemobile comes online in 5-7 years. If their plans succeeds, you will be able to use a regular cell phone from anywhere on earth.

OP
westonadkins

It's here. Interested to see how this works in the real world.

Ucsdryder

WKR

It's here. Interested to see how this works in the real world.

Now every dick head from california to New York can go deep without having to worry about getting lost! I think gps technology is the biggest game changer to back country hunting. I remember being a kid and studying maps, drainages, ridges, creeks to know where I was at all times. Now you can just wander around lost and plug in your truck into your gps and go home.

Now every dick head from california to New York can go deep without having to worry about getting lost! I think gps technology is the biggest game changer to back country hunting. I remember being a kid and studying maps, drainages, ridges, creeks to know where I was at all times. Now you can just wander around lost and plug in your truck into your gps and go home.
Until they fall off a cliff staring at their phone instead of reading and interpreting terrain features.

I just started using my full size InReach paired with an iphone 13 pro max, and using a battery pack to charge my phone, lantern, steripen, and headlamp. Being an old school 7-1/2 minute map devotee, I can say the level of detail on a map chip isn't quite as detailed as the best maps, but it's damn close. It also makes interpreting the map and GPS much easier when you can use the hi-res phone screen, and pull up snap shots of aerial photos, google earth tracking and everything else to expand your view of an area. I always carried print outs of aerial photos, and I can say, the phone is better, and makes for one less thing to have to keep track of. The batteries in the 13 series last for days in airplane mode, just need a little top up off the battery pack each night.