Iron sight options??

I'm mostly an archery guy but would like to get in a few more gun hunts in the future.

My backup rifle is a lever action Marlin .308mx with VXII scope. I figured it would make a good backup rifle and could become my primary rifle in really nasty weather, fog or the local west side jungle. With that in mind it seems the scope could be a liability and I should lose the scope. But the biggest advantage of the scope is that there is a single plane to focus on where as the iron sights you need to line up three planes, the rear sight, front post and then the target.

So is there any way to set up open sights with a single plane to place on the target like a scope? Or a shotgun? I'm thinking of some sort of hood/tunnel in the rear and a trillium front post. So instead of crosshair on target it would be dot on target?

I've done some googling and haven't found anything so I may be totally missing something. If so let me know :)

Its such a fun gun to shoot and a dream to carry that I guess I'm looking for an excuse to carry it more.

Thanks!

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
I have scopes on all but one of my hunting rifles. My Ruger #1 in 45-70 is topped with Skinner sights. Even with my old, worn-out eyes, the Skinners very accurate at 50 yards and are useable at 100 yards and maybe a bit further. They required very little "tweaking" once installed and IMHO are perfect for big/slower caliber hunting rifles.

xrangerx

WKR
I've got a skinner on my .45-70 too! Painted the front sight orange. I agree with regards to accuracy. They are clay-pidgeon accurate, off hand standing at 50yds no problemo.