Iron will vs tyto

stitchesdraw

Lil-Rokslider
In the market for a new lifer of a knife
Currently run the Gerber vital
The blade connector broke from simple use
Time to move on as it was a total pain trying to actually make a make a claim.
So if anyone has some insight or preferences feel free to drop a line
Up in Canada so the prices are what they are for us getting good ol American goods
Thanks everyone for you inputs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Tyto 1.1 and wouldn’t trade it for nothing. It fits perfect in the max pocket on the bottom of my AGC harness. I’m going to get the clever style Tyto once it comes out. I have almost bought the Iron Will k1 more times than not. I simply love knives and don’t mind spending the money on them. I think I’ll have the Iron Will before the elk opener this year and the new Tyto cleaver style blade too

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
iron will, tyto, kestrel. They are all great knives for the money and all very well made. I would have a hard time picking a favorite and I have most of them and a knife problem.

OP
stitchesdraw

stitchesdraw

Lil-Rokslider
What is your intended use for the knife?

Well ideally a skinner and gutter.
And a deboning field knife
That’s why I’m leaning to the tyto pair.
Looks like a great light weight combo

My gerber vital retainer clip broke and trying to get a warranty claim was gonna cost me more then to buy another one. Lame. Want something a little more fail proof

KBC

WKR
I'm happy with my Benchmade saddle mountain skinner but the Altitude sure is tempting and similar to what you are looking at. I'm not a knife nerd but I do like the s30V or whatever steel it is. I field dressed a deer and butchered the whole thing with the same knife without sharpening it last fall. Although I have some IW broad heads on the way and don't mind paying exchange and duty BS when it's worth it, Cabelas carries Benchmade and sometimes it's nice to handle something and buy it at home...

OP
stitchesdraw

stitchesdraw

Lil-Rokslider
I'm happy with my Benchmade saddle mountain skinner but the Altitude sure is tempting and similar to what you are looking at. I'm not a knife nerd but I do like the s30V or whatever steel it is. I field dressed a deer and butchered the whole thing with the same knife without sharpening it last fall. Although I have some IW broad heads on the way and don't mind paying exchange and duty BS when it's worth it, Cabelas carries Benchmade and sometimes it's nice to handle something and buy it at home...

Ya man. I’ve been running the iron wills for a while now too. And drop a nice spring bear in his tracks nearly this year with the wide!! They hold and edge like crazy. And take nothing to touch up neither :)
If IW comes out with a surgical setup too I’m sold lol paying double shipping and duty and exchange on two sets of stuff is nasty lol. I run a buck skinner also now and it’s awesome. Sharpens great, but ..... doesn’t hold an edge worth a crap.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
That question is tougher to answer than asking what hunt I'm looking forward to more this fall. Both knives are favorites of mine. Personally I like having both in the arsenal.
Are you handy with a stone or file for sharpening? That might be a factor to consider. Hard to go wrong with either.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 193995
Paired with a few 60A blades and you pretty much dont need anything else. Save your money for more tags to make more memories.
I grabbed a few of these after I bought my tyto. Certainly not the cool factor, or as easy to run in a bino pack like the AGC, but honestly just as effective. I keep this with some blades and a few of those wire saws in a “bug out bag” type of setup in my car all the time with a few other essential outdoor items.

Scrappy

WKR
Do you have a link to that?
Here you go Sir.
You can shop around and find blades a little cheaper but Amazon is convenient if you use them.

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
You should add that Benchmade Altitude to your list.

I have other knifes made from super steels....and the S90V of the Benchmade beats them all.....holds an edge incredibly well.