Is 60lb draw weight enough?

SW_VA

FNG
Great info...I’ve had shoulder surgery for the 2nd time and might have to turn the bow down to 60 lbs. Was wondering about this!

ia bhtr

FNG
As others have said , 60 lbs is plenty , irregardless of poundage you need your bow/arrow combo tuned for perfect arrow flight with your broadheads , the broadhead needs to be scary sharp , I thoroughly agree with those saying cut on contact broadheads , there are several that tune up and fly great , my set up right now is 480 grain arrow with a Slick Trick Viper Trick up front , short draw , 61lbs = 260 fps , next birthday is # 70 , both shoulders tore up and this is all the pounds I can handle , I have every confidence in this set up to do the job , provided I do mine

Reactions: Zac

ncavi8tor

WKR
More importantly is 60 lbs providing you enough holding weight. If you have a high let off hunting bow you may want to see if you can get down to around 80 percent. 90 percent at 60 lbs would be pretty difficult to stabilize.
Agree with this! I like 80% letoff for hunting. Makes a big difference if you have to let down too!

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zac

jmriness

FNG
As others have said 60 is plenty. The important part is shot placement and broadhead selection

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
I’m shooting 53# with spitfire 3 blade this year and will have no problem with adequate penetration. I used 60# for years and it was more than enough.

EM_556

WKR
Draw length has the greatest impact. That is something you can't really change. Kinetic Energy and Momentum are the 2 key factors in the bows effectiveness. You can do a quick calculation online to determine your velocity and momentum with any given arrow setup. They will also tell you which game that setup is "recommended" for. At the end of the day though, shot placement and practice are the biggest factors.