Is a Kowa 553 worth the upgrade over a Nikon ED-50??

Deucebump

WKR
I know these 2 spotters get kicked around quite a bit in the back country conversations, and Im pretty sure the Kowa is just a touch better.

I recently drew a basically once in a lifetime Muley tag and will be backpacking solo for the entire hunt. I already have a Nikon ED-50 with the MCii 13-40x zoom eye pc that has served me well. But I am a sucker for good glass and have been eyeing the Kowa for sometime. I have a Kowa 77 that is phenomenal.

But…Is the Kowa really worth the $1000 more its going to cost me to upgrade?? And it is 4oz heavier, but I can live with that.

Has any of you had both, and have a strong preference of one over the other?

Firestone

WKR
Once in a lifetime tag, I would think about using your bigger kowa. I have the little one and although it's nice and clear it's FOV is awful. Is your tag in big open country, where you will glassing with your spotter? Or tight canyons where you glass with binos and just need the spotter to get a better look at head gear?

Really depends on how picky you will be on trophy quality, and how far you need to glass from. I’ve compared the little kowa beside the ed50 and the little kowa is the superior scope. But next to my 77mm…no contest the 77mm wins. Not even close.

Both the 55 and 77 are good scopes…the 77 will reach out much farther and help distinguish between finer details of antler configuration like mass, extras, etc. it is also much better in lower light. It also has better FOV and more comfortable to use for locating animals at beyond binocular distance.

If you must be ultra light then the 55mm is a good compromise.

If the distances are not extreme for glassing, and you don’t need to count the inches on a deer, the ed50 will help judge frame and approximate size out to a good distance.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I had a Minox MD50, which is considered close to the Nikon ED-50 on a lot of birding forms

The MD-50, even though it was light, did not get used much as it was not good enough to justify the weight.

My Kowa 554 is worth the weight, even though it is heavier. So, I think the Kowa is worth the upgrade.

OP
Deucebump

Deucebump

WKR
Thanks Marbles, I like that analogy.

And I do know the 77 would be the way to go, there is just no way I want to carry it. Im a pretty small guy, 5’7” & 150lbs and in my mid 40s. Planning on going in solo for up to 10 full days is already pushing the pack weight in with that much food. My plan is to do the majority of my glassing with binos from a tripod and confirm general size with the smaller spotter.
If you must be ultra light then the 55mm is a good compromise.

If the distances are not extreme for glassing, and you don’t need to count the inches on a deer, the ed50 will help judge frame and approximate size out to a good distance.
This is exactly how I feel. Just cant decide which it is. Lol!

North61

Lil-Rokslider
I tested the Kowa and it has better eye relief than the Nikon and gives a better view but it's still a 55mm objective, and still has pretty crappy eye relief and field of view. I'd look for one of the fixed eye pieces for the Nikon which would improve your view as I don't think the little 55 is worth the upgrade unless you have lots of cash.

What about just bringing 15x56’s on a tripod? They can be used handheld and work very nicely on a tripod.

Mt Al

WKR
I haven't owned both but used a Nikon ED50 for years. IMHO, get the Kowa as a better-glass-still-light-enough-to-carry option. I may sell my Swaro 65 to get exactly that scope.

Loved the light weight of the ED50 but it was barely any better than binos on a tripod in the middle of the day and the light transmission early and late was terrible, and that's when the critters are on the move. Too long of a story, and I still got the buck (!), but I was fiddling around with the ED50 20 minutes into legal light, still not quite sunrise, and I was surprised at how poor the clarity and light transmission was when I was REALLY wanting it to work to see if I should make a stalk. That's the last day I used it.

Just my opinion

Firestone

WKR
I haven't owned both but used a Nikon ED50 for years. IMHO, get the Kowa as a better-glass-still-light-enough-to-carry option. I may sell my Swaro 65 to get exactly that scope.

Loved the light weight of the ED50 but it was barely any better than binos on a tripod in the middle of the day and the light transmission early and late was terrible, and that's when the critters are on the move. Too long of a story, and I still got the buck (!), but I was fiddling around with the ED50 20 minutes into legal light, still not quite sunrise, and I was surprised at how poor the clarity and light transmission was when I was REALLY wanting it to work to see if I should make a stalk. That's the last day I used it.

Just my opinion
I'll trade you for my kowa 553 for your Swaro 65mm