Is Cabela’s played out?

BigPrince

FNG
I've run out of reasons to go to Cabelas or Bass Pro. I will keep them as an option if there is something that costs more to ship(treestands, lead shot, hazmat powder) but it's not often I think of something and usually they don't have it anyway when I check. They are and will die a slow death. I'm betting the in store credit card debt is the main thing keeping them afloat.

I’ve been to many throughout the country, but spend more time stopping in Post Falls Idaho store these days. Was there with my wife and three kids yesterday.

There’s more fudge shop than bargain cave, far more apparel than tackle, and more licorice than scope rings.

They do well bringing solid products to market at competitive prices (like their base layers or space rain), but wading through the nonsense and getting deli tickets at the gun counter has put me in the no-go zone.
I wish Cabelas had Sitka

JohnIrish

FNG
I go to the store in Coeur D'Lane ID.... it is always short on stock. They are always out of things. I hate going there because of that! Store manager.... if your listening.... STOCK UP!

MTimberN

FNG
I always find myself going out of my way to hit up a Cabela's, browsing around and realizing they either don't have exactly what I'm looking for or the price is too high. Free Santa pictures are a plus.

Islandguy

FNG
I think i can say i share the same feelings as most. It used to be pretty cool, and their stores were eye candy. The deals are kinda hit and miss now, and i feel like when i go there, i usually walk out empty handed. Id rather support the smaller locals with all thats going on right now too, and they usually know what theyre selling as well.

spaniel

FNG
I loved Cabelas...20-25 years ago. I've had their credit card that long. Even before the buyout their stores had crap for inventory. Several times I made a special trip to one, only to be frustrated by lack of inventory. So I now buy online because it's worth a few bucks extra not to drive 40 minutes one way to the closest store only to find they don't have anything. Last fall I even wanted to buy a dozen arrows there and buy them in-store to have them cut but no, nothing workable in stock...

Plumber

FNG
It used to be my go to place to shop. Now they are kind of an after thought. There are so many other websites geared toward the Hunter.

Firehawk

WKR
I have definitely slowed way down my shopping there since the Bass Pro buy out. Seems that they only stock bass fishing type of fishing gear, and whitetail clothing. That would be fine if I didn't live and hunt in the Rocky Mountains. Just feel that they don't know their customers at all on a local level.

I even spoke with one of their managers in my store about it. They agreed and said it has been frustrating. Just glad I have Sportsman's Warehouse nearby and several small mom and pop shops that I prefer to buy from.

FH

Vince8112

FNG
I agree with the OP. I use to find my favorite gear there but they are falling behind. Still use their credit card and I have about $350 worth of points however I haven't seen anything in my last three trips that really catches my eye. Might look at switching cards here pretty soon. Any suggestions for cash back cards?

VernAK

WKR
I agree with the OP. I use to find my favorite gear there but they are falling behind. Still use their credit card and I have about $350 worth of points however I haven't seen anything in my last three trips that really catches my eye. Might look at switching cards here pretty soon. Any suggestions for cash back cards?

I used Cabelas credit card for years with great service but when they switched to Capital One the troubles began. I never activated the new card but accumulated $800 of charges that took a year to finally find the right person that understood that they'd been hacked and he finally voided the charges but they still show on my credit report as late payments. If you call them, don't expect anyone to understand you as they are usually in Guatemala.

I would agree Cabelas is on the downhill swing, after being acquired by bass pro I feel they are only keeping Cabelas around to serve the already established areas they do currently. Once they stop being profitable they will be shut down as the owner Johnny Morris #1 baby is Bass Pro and rightfully so.

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
One thing I’ll add is a comment about their shipping. 25+ years ago, when I’d CALL in an order, it wasn’t uncommon for UPS to deliver my Cabela’s package the NEXT DAY. Recently, it’s a miracle for my Cabela’s order to show up within a week. I’d say 9-10 days is more likely. Come on Cabela’s!

I lost black status a month ago. Honestly, I dont even know why I have their credit card anymore. I buy so very little from them these days. Their prices are just too high.

SonnyDay

WKR
Positive: My 3-year-old daughter really likes the animal mounts all over the place in the store...

I don't have that many in my house (yet). :ROFLMAO:

22lr

WKR
Positive: My 3-year-old daughter really likes the animal mounts all over the place in the store...

I don't have that many in my house (yet). :ROFLMAO:

My 2 daughters (almost 3yrs and 1yr) love Cabela's for that reason! The first trip to Cabela's with my oldest was when she was about 10mo, you could hear the shrill shrieks of delight from one side of the store to another whenever she saw a new animal. She still growls at the bears and will spend 30min watching the fish tanks!

I've always seen Cabela's as a destination store since I was a wee lad, it's been hard to see them go downhill. For my 16th birthday my dad drove me and my friends 3hrs to the nearest store to check it out.

They still have some decent stuff, but you be a bit more educated on what you are looking for. But for me, I'm still reliving their glory days and all those memories.