Is Colorado requiring archery draw next year?

It's not about figuring out how to put in.
Its about actually being able to get a tag.

When your waiting 10 yrs for a mediocre tag you'll wish for otc. But once they've sold people points there no going back.
Yea I get it. I’m not a fan of point systems. I thank God on a nightly basis that I live in Idaho.

Two things come to mind. 1) Colorado has been about getting as many hunters as possible for many years. 2) The DOW taking on parks depleted all funds.
I don’t see archery going to a draw but do see it as a good thing for management. Cap and raise non resident fees. People will still hunt. Before you get all crazy about the non resident deal, I gladly paid the $500 to Kansas for the deer draw (unsuccessful) and Colorado residents just took an increase. Plus, Colorado is still one of the cheapest places to hunt elk. However, I still don’t see it happening.

I doubt a 10 point unit is as good as you think. The 2 tags I have had in the I've only seen 1 bull over 300.

Theres still guys in your spot.

And I gotta be honest if it wasn't for OTC in various states I'd just quit hunting.
I'm not gonna spend all this money, shoot my bow and keep in shape to hunt every 3 years or more.

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
If it’s to crowded in archery maybe remove all the centerfires from archery season???? By doing this in the dead of archery elk season I feel like our CPW is just as slimy and deceitful as out POS governor. But honestly it is what it is and we did it to ourselves by crying and bitching like a bunch of high school kids.

ckleeves

WKR
It's not about figuring out how to put in.
Its about actually being able to get a tag.

When your waiting 10 yrs for a mediocre tag you'll wish for otc. But once they've sold people points there no going back.

Guys seem to think that tag numbers are somehow going to be cut by 90% just by mentioning the word “draw”.

Colorado still has a lot of elk, and the harvest numbers would still have to be kept at or near the same numbers they are now. In other words you can’t harvest 40,000 elk on 20,000 tags. The tags aren’t simply going to disappear by going draw.

It would be just like deer are now. It’s anything but hard to get a deer tag, and zero and 1 point units are consistently producing great deer. If your waiting 10 years for a deer tag and Colorado then your not wanting to draw. I’m not going to look up the exact numbers but I would guess 10 points would draw out 80% ish of the hunt codes.

Look at the leftover list. There is still over 100 hunt codes available for elk. Over 1000 bull tags in just one code still unsold.

Something tells me that if we do go draw the guys that want to hunt elk every year will still be hunting elk every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they do it then other states will get flooded then thay will have to do it as well.
It will just keep going, point creep increasing, and less and less tags.
Otc with caps, or zones to spread pressure is one thing.
But draws are a slippery slope.
Trust me I'll only have like 2 decent deer tags and 4 Elk in my home state in my entire life.

What do you mean less and less tags? Less tags drawn by you or less tags cumulatively available to be drawn?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Something tells me that if we do go draw the guys that want to hunt elk every year will still be hunting elk every year.

It's not a matter of just "wanting to hunt elk every year", it's a matter of wanting to hunt elk "where we want to hunt elk" every year. If I have the choice of drawing every year "just somewhere", or saving my points and drawing "where I want to draw".......I'll take the points and hunt other states in off years.

cnelk

WKR
FWIW - The CPW already has DAUs set up. If they were to go to all draw for elk, they could easily make the draw DAU specific.
That would encompass a much larger area for hunters and still set limits of tag allotments - adjusted yearly if necessary

Backyard

WKR
For those of us that are getting up there in years, and may not be archery hunting elk in another 5-10 years and don't have the time to wait to build points, it sucks.

ckleeves

WKR
For those of us that are getting up there in years, and may not be archery hunting elk in another 5-10 years and don't have the time to wait to build points, it sucks.

I think you will be good. Lets say it does go thru, the first 2 years I bet tags are way under applied for just because it always seems to take a few years for guys to figure out a new system. Then after that you have all the guys holding 5+ points who don’t want to drop them on a “general” tag so that keeps them out of the pool. They pick up leftovers (there will be literally thousands, just like now). So that gets you tags for the first 5 years without one single point being use. Then after that there will still be DAUs that are over objective that they release just ridiculous tag numbers for.

This entire lie about getting one more elk tag in your entire life if it goes draw is a total scare tactic sold to you by the good ol boy network who think that they should be able to hunt bulls every year, in the unit their pappy hunted, with unlimited OTC tags, while still building points for a better hunt! Damn the health of the herds, lets hunt them to extinction as long as we are hunting them every single year and not having to fill out some app on the interwebs.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
while still building points for a better hunt! Damn the health of the herds, lets hunt them to extinction as long as we are hunting them every single year and not having to fill out some app on the interwebs.

How are they getting points if they aren't filling out some app on the interweb????;)

Ace12

Lil-Rokslider
Missouri is probably the single state that doesn't bow to the money since they are completely funded by state tax money. Social pressure is totally different, if you don't like how they run things get involved and make your voice heard.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
MDC sets rules regulations to maximize money not quality of any species we have. They are state funded. With permanent sales tax revenue that can’t be touch. They have way to much power

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
I think you will be good. Lets say it does go thru, the first 2 years I bet tags are way under applied for just because it always seems to take a few years for guys to figure out a new system. Then after that you have all the guys holding 5+ points who don’t want to drop them on a “general” tag so that keeps them out of the pool. They pick up leftovers (there will be literally thousands, just like now). So that gets you tags for the first 5 years without one single point being use. Then after that there will still be DAUs that are over objective that they release just ridiculous tag numbers for.

This entire lie about getting one more elk tag in your entire life if it goes draw is a total scare tactic sold to you by the good ol boy network who think that they should be able to hunt bulls every year, in the unit their pappy hunted, with unlimited OTC tags, while still building points for a better hunt! Damn the health of the herds, lets hunt them to extinction as long as we are hunting them every single year and not having to fill out some app on the interwebs.

You do realize in 90% of the state it not about the herds but a bunch of cry babies that bitch and moan about “crowding” right? Instead of removing the rifle hunters from archery season like the bitchers were expecting they are going to break it off in the archery hunters like those of us that pay attention expected. In fact from the cpw recommendation I read last the crowding will be a touch worse due to shoehorning archery into a shorter season plus an increase in rifle tags during archery.

Everyone knows Idaho is OTC, right? We all should go there and show Colorado that they are not in charge!

Some of the draw units are insane these days. I've seen less people in my OTC areas than in some of the draw units I've hunted.

You make a very good point and this is true with lots of draw units across the west. I would just like to see a more thorough examination of what is going on. Im not proposing a direct solution, I would just be happy if a diverse group of people (primarily hunters) looked at the problem and possible solutions to the problem. I have heard Snyder talk about the insanity of CO multiple times and would be a fan of ultimately letting hunters of CO have more of a say in how their resource is used.