Is CWD the Imminent Doom for Hunting?

lyingflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
Highly unlikely. The northern part of the state has a decreasing herd. Many hunters are leaving those areas to hunt elsewhere due to the conditions. The only real part of the state where they are trying to increase the herd. No antlerless hunts or holiday hunts in Northern WI. And no significant antlerless tags issued in the “northern forest zone”. Those conditions are not going to attract hunters.
I have a place in a northern county, I have a friend who’s family has a place in a north central county. We both heavily manage our properties, spend heavily on food plots, limit hunters, actively manage our forests and consistently shoot 3+ year old bucks. I beg to differ. If you build it, they will come.

CWD has been around for a long time. It’s not an issue in my opinion. The issue is the game department’s slaughtering animals in the name of CWD. Like
In colorado. They think mature bucks spread CWD. So they want to kill off all the older bucks. What sense does that make?

Our biggest threat to hunting is not CWD but these anti hunting groups and democrats attacking our hunting rights.

I generally get a chuckle at the ‘slaughtering’ comments.

Like, issuing tens of thousands of rifle tags every single year, doesn’t equate to slaughter, too?

Maybe you’re not directly impacted by CWD?

Here in CO’s front Range foothills, 50% positive on 35 acres is quite alarming and considering the elk herds and moose hang out with the deer, all cervids are at risk and all will be impacted.

I’m sure you’re aware, but no one knows how long CWD has been around.
But if you were to follow the results, it’s spreading relatively rapidly, across the country and in other places around the world.

But no, its a non-issue and it’s a manufactured crisis, as so eloquently expressed above.

Last edited:

DAD

FNG
I hope this doesn't seem like a crazy question, but if prions can survive in the ground or outside a warm body, aren't other mammals susceptible to catching this disease.

If so, then is the USDA or butchering facilities testing all cow, sheep, goat, etc. populations for CWD.

I have trouble understanding how people are worried about the deer they shoot in the corn field having CWD, but not the cow grazing 200 yards away.

I hope this doesn't seem like a crazy question, but if prions can survive in the ground or outside a warm body, aren't other mammals susceptible to catching this disease.

If so, then is the USDA or butchering facilities testing all cow, sheep, goat, etc. populations for CWD.

I have trouble understanding how people are worried about the deer they shoot in the corn field having CWD, but not the cow grazing 200 yards away.

CWD only (for now) impacts deer.
White tail, Mule deer, Elk, Moose and reindeer.

DAD

FNG
CWD only (for now) impacts deer.
White tail, Mule deer, Elk, Moose and reindeer.
Isn't the CWD virus the same one that caused mad cow disease? Aren't they both prions?

How does a prion know the difference between wild game and domestic animals?

Dirtbag

WKR
CWD has been around for a long time. It’s not an issue in my opinion. The issue is the game department’s slaughtering animals in the name of CWD. Like
In colorado. They think mature bucks spread CWD. So they want to kill off all the older bucks. What sense does that make?

Our biggest threat to hunting is not CWD but these anti hunting groups and democrats attacking our hunting rights.
^^ This.

"CWD might threaten deer populations"

CPW: "Not if I kill them all first, hold my beer"

In the area I grew up hunting they had a few years of mandatory testing for rifle hunters. 12% of mature bucks had CWD.

Their response: Increase all deer permits tenfold, in the classic "slow the Spread" reasoning. Facepalm.

Isn't the CWD virus the same one that caused mad cow disease? Aren't they both prions?

How does a prion know the difference between wild game and domestic animals?

No, they’re different, but both a prion disease.
And, cwd isn’t a virus.
It’s a midfolded protein.
It’s not alive, so can’t be killed.

Sheep get scrapie
Deer get cwd
Cows get mad cow
Humans get cjd and now a variant.

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
Lets hope not.

It is a bit scary that these prions live on….and that some prion diseases might take decades to develop symptoms. ( the decades thing comes from a Prion institute lecture)

^^ This.

"CWD might threaten deer populations"

CPW: "Not if I kill them all first, hold my beer"

In the area I grew up hunting they had a few years of mandatory testing for rifle hunters. 12% of mature bucks had CWD.

Their response: Increase all deer permits tenfold, in the classic "slow the Spread" reasoning. Facepalm.

Reducing the population, is the ONLY tool available.

Look no further than the comparison between what approaches Illinois and Wisconsin took.

Illinois- proactive, and has maintained a very low prevalence.

Wisconsin- Totally out of control

Anti's and voting booths will end the sport well before CWD.

Is CWD really spreading that rapidly, or are we seeing more CWD positive animals because testing for it is increasing?

No.
Same testing, increased positives.
Same story for many states.

CWD is spreading slowly, across the country.
It’s something that’s measured in decades, not years.

Flyjunky

WKR
We eat pretty much only elk and venison year round. My cousin raises our beef and a half beef lasts us a year and half with all the venison and elk we are lucky to get every year. I'd rather eat meat with potential CWD than what they are pumping into the meat at the stores.
A buddy and I just had this same discussion a few days ago. Many people here who say they will not eat a cwd+ deer happily consume chicken and beef loaded with hormones that are known to cause issues.

Anyone aware of an accurate "rapid field test " on the market ? Here in minnesota in some areas harvested adult deer are tested by either dropping head or lymph nodes off designated sites . Logistically the timing of everything is a pain to process or eat venision while you wait for results . It would be great to know right in the field. Used to not think too much about cwd until it shows up in your area

OKhunt62

FNG
IMO the biggest impact to hunting would be if someone contracted a CWD variant from deer meat. Hunting wouldn’t go away, but probably look much different than it does today.

Flyjunky

WKR
Pop media articles about Zombie Deer! have an effect on uninformed and germaphobes especially after the COVID hysteria. Anti hunters couldn't have planned a better campaign than Zombie Deer.
Don’t think for a second the anti-hunting crowd won’t use cwd as another tool to end hunting.

I can see the headlines now, “Hunters are throwing deer in the trash”. - Hunters who have killed a cwd+ deer are discarding those deer as potential cwd to human transmission a concern. Until we get a handle on cwd hunting should stop instead of just killing deer for the sake of killing them.

Something along those lines I can see hitting the media.

Dirtbag

WKR
IMO the biggest impact to hunting would be if someone contracted a CWD variant from deer meat. Hunting wouldn’t go away, but probably look much different than it does today.
a quick google search says the US consumes around 7 million deer annually. With CWD being around as long as it has, statically I think we would have seen a transmission if it was possible, by now.