Is Garmin 66I OnX Compatible

Code_red

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to get an inreach and gps but see that this unit has inreach technology and takes SD cards. Does it work with ONx? I know Garmin has some gps units that don’t so before I drop the money on this I wanted to reach out and see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looking to get an inreach and gps but see that this unit has inreach technology and takes SD cards. Does it work with ONx? I know Garmin has some gps units that don’t so before I drop the money on this I wanted to reach out and see.

From my understanding yes it does. Finally they make a system that excepts cards and has the inreach capability. Rob with S&S Archery has them in stock

EJMK

FNG
It does. I received the 66i a few weeks ago from S&S and it works with no issues with the OnX chips. I’ve used the Utah and Colorado chips in it so far.

One interesting thing, I have an old chip from when they were still called Hunting GPS Maps, and the 66i will not read it while my old GPS still will.

OP
C

Code_red

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome thanks for the feedback!

gibbons025

Lil-Rokslider
Yes. I just bought the 66i acouple weeks ago and it’s amazing. They had a software problem in 4.10 but now with 4.20 it’s been flawless for me. I had been waiting for this Garmin to come out so I only had to carry one unit.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
4af20401e782819fd14b8c6b386a0aee.jpg

Here’s a photo compared to the inreach explorer. The 66i is slightly lighter as well. Reallly tempting me

OP
C

Code_red

Lil-Rokslider
4af20401e782819fd14b8c6b386a0aee.jpg

Here’s a photo compared to the inreach explorer. The 66i is slightly lighter as well. Reallly tempting me

Awesome I have one on the way! Thanks to all for the input! One less thing in the pack is always a good thing.

87TT

WKR
I like the idea but am concerned with the battery life. With my regular GPS with the chip, I can change batteries if it goes dead. With my Inreach it has to be recharged. I don't make very many texts and limit the tracking feature to just one track then turn it off for a few hors so the battery lasts a few days. I will probably stay with the two systems as long as they keep working or until the 66i has been around for a while to get more input.

Hello all, new to the forum. I have a couple of questions regarding the 66i and OnX hunt chips. I've owned my 66i now for almost a year, and I just now pulled the trigger on an on x chip for it after reading the above remarks. Upon arrival, my new sd card does not work. I called garmin direct, and they told me that it won't work, and they also told me that its linked from OnXhunts website. Am I missing something, or is there something that I need to do to make it work?

kbaerg

Lil-Rokslider
Here is what i can tell you from my phone calls last week with both my reps from OnX and Garmin,. The OnX hunt chip is going to be hit or miss (sorry). Maybe see if OnX will send you a chip that does work, they have been doing this for a while and did for a friend of mine for free. Garmin is going to want to sell you their Hunt view card for $90. they are both similar in function except for the fact that with Garmin Hunt you get nothing extra and if you want to upgrade Fork over another $90. We have sold many of the 66i in our store here the last summer and for a while OnX was taking care of us by getting chips that worked in the 66i. I just had one i sold yesterday and it took 4 different chips before one would work.
Both companies are blaming each other as to why the OnX doesn't work, ( not uncommon since they both sell a hunt card feature) I was very upfront with them that if they are not compatible then i maybe won't be carrying their products as its very frustrating when a customer comes back in Pissed off that their products don't work and demand a refund. I personally own the 66i and am running the OnX maps chip and mine is working flawless but I'm also nervous if ever it needs an update that I'll be forced to use something different.

Firefishe

FNG
Greetings. Name here is Stephen, I live in Northern Lower Michigan.

I have a Garmin GPSMAP 86sci, similiar to the 66i. I wanted the ONX Hunt Chip product to use to find plat boundary lines--adjacent to state land--in the Northern Lower Peninsula of Michigan, where I live.

I spoke with a Garmin rep today (11/25/2020)--who said he's been with Garmin for some time--about the ONX Hunt Chip, and was told that, at one point, ONX was considering Garmin as a Partner, so Garmin asked ONX for royalties, which ONX wouldn't (or couldn't) deliver on, so Garmin coded out the ability of the newer In-Reach products and the newer Montanas, to decode and read the ONX Hunt Chip maps, The older units (64 series, Oregon, etc.) do apparently work, as indicated on ONX's web site.

So, perhaps, we can petition ONX to work out a royalty agreement with Garmin and get these wonderful units, with a worldwide satellite communication safety net, to accept the ONX chips.

Just thought I'd pass this information along.

Warm Regards,
--Stephen

(Note: The above is, of course, Garmin's information, and not that of ONX. I called ONX, and they said they had the ability to code for either/or, but not both, which, to me--as a GIS/Cartography Hobbyist--doesn't make a lot of sense, unless it has to do with ONX's ability to license their maps for the newer units; availability of working money for licensing, in other words.)