Is it worth it to go to a 0 degree SG Chilkoot bag?

Looking at these numbers you dont really get another 15 degrees going to the 0 from the 15. Is it worth the cost and weight to go with the 0?

1707160160391.png

Taudisio

WKR
I have no experience with the SG or specific bag, I do have experience with opting for a heavier/colder rated bag. I’ll carry the weight any day. Long story short, camped during summer high up. Expected overnight lows in the 40’s. Woke up to my buddies truck starting and driving off just before sunrise. I was sleeping in my underwear and had no idea it was 19 degrees out. He came back later and said he had to get in the truck to warm up. Plenty of other similar experiences in the back country. I can not function on little/no sleep.

Imo unless you are going to be in some very cold temps on a regular basis, it’s not worth it. I have the 0 degree and it’s way too hot for me but I’m also a very hot sleeper. I’ll probably be selling it soon honestly. The bag itself is awesome quality and I love everything about it other than it’s too warm for me to use it 99% of the year for my style of hunting.

Edit to add: yes buy a chillkoot bag I just wouldn’t need the 0 degree personally. Will be trying the quilt mod in the future though

Last edited:

Backcountry_Preacher

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Yes it’s worth it! Me and my wife both have 0 degree SG bags and love them. She said they’re worth every penny. We’ve even used them in the summer like quilts and slept comfortably. This past year, I slept in the back of my truck with one, was showered on, rain froze, and I never got cold or wet. Love them.IMG_4519.jpeg

Yes it’s worth it! Me and my wife both have 0 degree SG bags and love them. She said they’re worth every penny. We’ve even used them in the summer like quilts and slept comfortably. This past year, I slept in the back of my truck with one, was showered on, rain froze, and I never got cold or wet. Love them.
Never thought of using it as a quilt. Definitely gonna try this.

I’ve been wondering the same thing! I have a SG Chilcoot, 0° and it’s been a great bag…

10 oz can’t make the zero that much warmer than the 15 but man I’ve had some cold night and that 0 has kept me nice and warm!

McFarmer

FNG
You can never have too much bag, especially packed miles back in the mountains. If it turns out to be too warm, unzip the thing as the weight difference is negligible. If you don’t need ultra light and plan to camp out of a vehicle, there are much cheaper options

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think if you are a moderate to cold sleeper and you are in 0 degree weather, go for it.
I sleep warm and have been down to about 10 to 15 degrees in mine and it's been a plenty warm. It's actually too warm for me but I just open it up and it's been great.
Whatever the case, they are both great bags and very roomy. Mine is the 15 degree.

Randy

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
That 7 oz difference between the 0 and 15 oz is all down; 7 oz of down will definitely net you 15 degrees in a sleeping bag, probably more.

A 15 degree bag with a good pad and some additional clothing that you likely will have with you anyways, can be used to 0 degrees if need be.

If you regularly see 0 OR you sleep on the cooler side- grab the warmer bag :)

ODB

WKR
I always buy a colder(rated) bag even though I am a hot sleeper. Unless it's really cold I just lay the bag open over me like a quilt as mentioned above. When the temps really drop I use it as normal. When quilts got popular I didn;t understand it because I;ve used my bag like that for almost 40 years and wondered if I was apparently the only one...