Is mid-October too late for calling? New Mexico 49 (Taos)

ATL-Kyle

FNG
Having never hunted elk, I'm up to my eyeballs in reading material and online instruction for elk hunting since I drew a second rifle tag for New Mexico Unit 49. I used my GoHunt store credit to get a few diaphragm calls and a bugle tube to start learning to call (primarily for future hunts).

However, I was wondering if I should even worry about taking them considering the season runs Oct 17-21. I've been told by someone who hunted the area for early archery last year that the bulls "may be bugling then" but I'm completely unclear if that helps me any other than locating them.

Any feedback and/or additional information about the area is greatly greatly appreciated so thank you in advance. I'm 1500 miles away so every little bit helps!

Laramie

WKR
Elk call year round. Bulls don't bugle often outside of the rut but they do still do it occasionally. The majority of the rut will be over but there is a real possibility that some cows will be in second estrus on those dates. Having the calls sure won't hurt. You may not call one in your lap but locating a bull is 90% of the battle when rifle hunting. Be careful of other hunters though- bugling on public land during the rifle season can attract other rifles.

I can tell you that further south I had the same time frame muzzleloader tag and did not hear one bugle in my 4 days I was there. A friend who had last archery said they were screaming all morning and evening in late September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ATL-Kyle

ATL-Kyle

FNG
The majority of the rut will be over but there is a real possibility that some cows will be in second estrus on those dates. Having the calls sure won't hurt.

That's something that got my gears turning from the online Corey Jacobson course. Some cows come back into estrous ~4 weeks after the "peak rut" which would be right around that time. Maybe that and the completely dark moon will provide some needed luck

You can call elk alot. We have hunted from the 10th through the 15th in unit 51 just south of there and the bulls were screaming their brains out. Wait till you get there and see what the elk are doing. 1 tip, leave the cow calls at home. Everyone cow calls.

In areas with low bull to cow ratio I've had crazy rutting behavior in mid-late october. I casually thought at the time it was because there weren't enough bulls to breed all the cows and there was a 2nd rut so-to-speak. turns out it maybe was more than a theory.

Last edited:

Mturney

Lil-Rokslider
Shot a bull west of Toas last year on Oct. 14 and it was a rut fest. Told my partner it had to be hunters answering because it was to late in the year but I was wrong. It was awesome to get into the middle of in mid Oct. If nothing else I like to have a diaphragm in my mouth to stop elk I bump.

TheCougar

WKR
Yes they will be bugling. How responsive they will be to your calling is another issue altogether. I would Definitely bring a bugle, but let the elk dictate how much you call. With a rifle, I would listen way more than I would call.

Catahoula

WKR
I would definitely practice the calls in your case.... you never know. I called plenty of bulls in early to mid October during my 30 years in Arizona for myself and hunting buddies. I used diaphragm and reed cow calls at this time of the year. Good luck indeed...

OP
ATL-Kyle

ATL-Kyle

FNG
Thanks for the replies, everybody. I'll definitely carry them along just in case I end up in the "magic circle"

I've called for my buddy in a southern NM unit during his muzzy hunt during that same time frame. Last year we called in more bulls in 1 weekend, within bow range, than I called in during mid September in the Gila for my hunt. The year before last during that same muzzy hunt, we hardly heard a bugle. The year before that, the action was hot as we called in a bunch in a weekend.

I'd err on the side of preparing for screaming elk, and ready to move in silent. Be ready for all possibilities ;)

OP
ATL-Kyle

ATL-Kyle

FNG
Well, I suppose it's time to revisit the calling sections of the Elk101 online course and take them a little more seriously. I breezed through them assuming I wouldn't need that information until another year. Thanks again yall