Is Pueblo a ghetto??

I lived there for a few years and it was fine. Have a couple friends that lives there right now. Don’t think it’s any worse for sketchy people than say Denver.

Btaylor

WKR
I lived there for a few years and it was fine. Have a couple friends that lives there right now. Don’t think it’s any worse for sketchy people than say Denver.
Definitely depends on location. Denver metro is like 3/4ish of our state population so you are probably right.

tdhanses

WKR
For being a ghetto sure seems like there are a bunch of new construction homes being built in the area, when I think of ghetto i think of the south side of Chicago, downtown STL, etc. I bet there is still much more crime and danger in a larger city but maybe I’m wrong.

Are there a lot of abandoned homes in Pubelo? Personally if the job is good and could be a way to get closer to the mountains I’d be taking a drive and doing much more research. Seem to me some people feel what makes a ghetto is avg city issues, but then again i’ve on driven through Pubelo but I doubt it’s as bad as driving away from Arrowhead stadium here in KC late at night.

If public schools aren’t great look into private.

I have a property up in the mountains that is about 1.5hrs from Pubelo, it isn’t a tourist area for sure but that’s what I like about that part of CO.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I was born in Pueblo, and grew up on a farm just east of town. Is Pueblo a ghetto? It's always been a ghetto......depending on your perspective and what part of town you're in. Is it survivable? Absolutely........again, depending where you live and where you hang out. After my dad passed away my mom moved to town, and she did her grocery shopping at the absolute worst grocery store within 50 miles of there........yes on the east side. I wouldn't have gone near it unarmed, but she drove in and strolled around like she owned the place talking to every one she saw. She passed away and we sold her small house for $350k in 2021. I can't even imagine what the big nice houses are going for down there now. Too much I'm sure. We still go down to eat there every now and then, but like most places.....you keep track of your situational awareness......and go armed. Just like I do in the Springs.

Growing up there, there were always fights, there were gangs, there were knifings more so than shootings etc, but when we went out that was just part of the culture there. IMO it's similar in a way to Butte, MT. It can be a rough town, but keep your head.......and don't go out in the middle of the night.

Last edited:

danarnold

WKR
yes it is, we have a place outside westcliffe north on 96 from pueblo about an hour. we pretty much wont go there for anything... springs sucks imo also, shitload of homeless and crazy traffic nonstop

Holski

FNG
I lived there 10 years ago and its not a place I would live again. If I had no choice, live in Pueblo West. Everywhere on the front range has gone to shit. I watch people shoot up and OD out of my office pretty much daily.

zbb

FNG
I lived in Pueblo West for 3 years. In that time, one of my neighbors shot two cops then barricaded himself in his house. Cops turned out fine btw just a couple superficial graze wounds. Another time about a year later a guy got in to it with a cop at my daughters middle school ended up getting shot by the cops and died, during the pick up time so there was a tone of people at the school and kids were being loaded on the buses to go home for the day. Obviously Covid was a shit show there like the rest of the state.

Another thing to keep in mind is the weather. I lived in my brand new house for less than a year had to replace my roof, half my windows and all my gutters and my camper was totaled for a pisser hail storm.
It’s windy as hell too. Dumpsters aren’t required to be covered and there is a transfer station right on the interstate. There is garbage everywhere! I watched a porta shitter get pin wheeled about 300 yards when a new house was being built next door.

Traffic..like everywhere else on the front range. Sucks and people are assholes.

Having said all that housing is cheaper on the north side of Pueblo west than it is in Colorado Springs. And springs with the rest of the front range doesn’t have much of a leg to stand on when it comes to crime, bums and traffic, but they sure like to look down their noses.

I’m sure some people could be happy there. We met some good people, we even stay in contact with some of our neighbors. But I have zero intention of ever being back in that area.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Well then. I guess this explains why the house was priced like it is and the job is eager to hire . I mean we live in a small town that has the local meth heads and gangsta wannabe kids here and there but nothing compared to what I’m seeing in Pueblo. Definitely not sounding like somewhere I’m taking my kids . It’s by no means where I would want to live anyways but on the other hand I can’t afford a 500k house .
Let’s be honest, any place at this point where you’re finding a sub 500k house in Colorado means your neighbor has a meth lab in their kitchen, or the house your buying has one!

WKR
Had to go into Denver at 7 pm last night for a work project. Amazing amount of homeless out and about. It'll be a while before I do that again. If Pueblo is worse than Denver, raise your kids somewhere else. I'm an hour outside of Denver and we have very close to zero crime out here. Would be a long commute if I had to go in everyday but would be worth it.

OP
C

cowboydan

FNG
Let’s be honest, any place at this point where you’re finding a sub 500k house in Colorado means your neighbor has a meth lab in their kitchen, or the house your buying has one!
I’m sure some of my neighbors have meth labs in their kitchen .. and so be it . But drive by shootings , and record breaking murders and rape year after year I’m not ok with. If it were just me I wouldn’t hesitate. I’m not raising my kids in that shit tho

505Wapiti

WKR
I’ve been enough times that I wouldn’t live there… I guess unless it was that or Albuquerque.
Funny, as I sit in my home in Albuquerque I was about to comment on what I think about Pueblo…. 😂 I guess it’s like any city, depends on what part you live and work in. There are parts of Albuquerque that have turned to garbage and aren’t even recognizable after being here 20 years. Same could be said for most places I’m sure.

I used to roughneck with a guy from Pueblo. His last name was Gonzales. One morning I was doing our daily paper work and wrote his names as "Gonzalez". He promptly said “I ain’t no beaner” and literally tried to fight me in front of the company man. So that’s what I think of when I think of Pueblo.

Sherman

WKR
I was working in Pueblo about six years ago. My wife, kids, and myself were heading out for dinner. We saw this guy running down the street and it didn’t seem right. Two alleys over we saw a dude dead in the middle of the alley. After dinner the local radio stations were giving the report of a homocide with the armed and dangerous perp on the loose.

This was during our transition trying to figure out where we wanted to live in Colorado. We settled on Fort Morgan. Best decision ever. Waterfowl, mule, speed goats, whitetail, turkey.....it’s all here. And their HS football team is pretty badass.

OP
C

cowboydan

FNG
I was working in Pueblo about six years ago. My wife, kids, and myself were heading out for dinner. We saw this guy running down the street and it didn’t seem right. Two alleys over we saw a dude dead in the middle of the alley. After dinner the local radio stations were giving the report of a homocide with the armed and dangerous perp on the loose.

This was during our transition trying to figure out where we wanted to live in Colorado. We settled on Fort Morgan. Best decision ever. Waterfowl, mule, whitetail, turkey.....it’s all here. And their HS football team
Damn man that’s crazy. I had actually looked at a job in fort Morgan also. I’m not to fond of the idea of living in a bigger city but I’m itching to get mountain time in more than 2 weeks a year. My kids and wife love it out there too but I’d feel like a shit parent if I drug them somewhere that we don’t even feel safe . Especially coming from the little Mayberry town we live in now.

tdhanses

WKR
Damn man that’s crazy. I had actually looked at a job in fort Morgan also. I’m not to fond of the idea of living in a bigger city but I’m itching to get mountain time in more than 2 weeks a year. My kids and wife love it out there too but I’d feel like a shit parent if I drug them somewhere that we don’t even feel safe . Especially coming from the little Mayberry town we live in now.
Look at communities outside of it, ask the company where most people that work there live.

S-3 ranch

WKR
Funny, as I sit in my home in Albuquerque I was about to comment on what I think about Pueblo…. 😂 I guess it’s like any city, depends on what part you live and work in. There are parts of Albuquerque that have turned to garbage and aren’t even recognizable after being here 20 years. Same could be said for most places I’m sure.
Follow the money, if your present job doesn’t cut it move ! Pueblo is what you make of it .
I live near San Antonio Texas and Austin, both are complete shitholes
full of homeless, drugs , lots of gun violence, I just work and do my thing
and spend time fishing or hunting, ect ,
if the $$$ is good? Make hay while the sun shine

CoStick

WKR
My first house was in east colfax Denver and people seem to claim to it was a bad area . We loved it, great neighbors/ community. Needed a bigger place with another kid, so had to move the homes had tripled in value, so sold and moved to burbs for affordable home.

I will follow up and kinda shadow what others said about there likely being alright places in the city. I've never been to Pueblo, but it sounds like Anchorage. Anchorage is a dump with an extremely high crime rate and homeless rate. I commute to work downtown and just need to be aware of the people. I've never really felt unsafe even in the dead of winter where I'm always going to and from my vehicle in the dark. If I had to move to Anchorage, there are some neighborhoods that I would feel safe in and schools that I would be fine with my kids attending. I'm sure it's the same at most places with similar crime issues.

Yes, unless you want to have your house broken into regularly, and want to deal with tweakers constantly. I wouldn't raise kids there, unless you want to get them an early start on the thug life... I worked with several guys who lived there. Housing is cheap for a reason. They all complained about what a shithole it is, but they all owned big houses on acreage, that they couldn't afford anywhere else. If the job is good enough look up towards canyon city, or outside of town to the west. I personally live 40 miles out of Denver, and commute daily. To me, that would be the better choice, commute into town and live somewhere safer up in the foothills.