Is reloading 308 worth is these days?

I was just curious if any of you guys think it would be worth it to reload for 308. I like the idea of having my own custom loads to shoot, but I'd need to invest in all the equipment and components to reload as I don't have any yet. Rock bottom ammo prices here are about $40/box and I priced it out I can reload with hornady sst for about $1.50/round. I've had good luck with those for accuracy at the range in superfprmance factory ammo. Thanks in advance.

MThuntr

WKR
Not if you're only shooting a few rounds a year and have factory options you like.

If you're diving into something unique or specialized like Non-lead bullets or want something more precise then it might be worth it.

Exactly, if you're only shooting few rounds a year and aren't shooting for tight groups than no, if you like to play with different bullets /weights and powders for small groups than reloading is worth it. Also if you only have one caliber it may not be but if you have multiple calibers it's worth it.

Mike 338

WKR
Well, in terms of cost of components and your time, no, it's not worth it. In terms of reliable accuracy, yes it is totally worth it. In terms of "gett'in 'er done", there's hundreds or thousands of guys that will grudgingly admit that their $4000 custom long range rig doesn't fill the freezer any better than their first stone stock 308 that they used decades prior. The 308 is awesome enough.

Palmetto State Armory's AAC line of ammo has really challenged the economics of reloading I think. I picked up a bunch of their 75gr Hornady BTHP match .223 ammo for 65 CPR last year, which is pretty good considering how expensive components have gotten. They have 175gr SMK .308 loads for $1/rd and some unknown projectile 175gr .308 loads for 90 cents/rd. That seems tough to beat for new brass ammo I think.

I think it’s worth it just to have the ability to shoot high volume. If I was loading 308 I would buy CHEAP bullets and powder..reload what ever brass you have. And just shoot the hell out of it. You can always have a couple boxes of nice factory ammo, or workup a fancy load for hunting. But trigger time and access to plenty of ammo for me is the biggest reason to reload anything and .308 you should be able to do it for cheap.

nightant

FNG
Obvious answer here but it really depends on how much you shoot to determine your return on investment.

Vern400

WKR
I don't know how you landed at $1.50 each.
35 cent bullet
10 cent primer
30 cent powder
10 cents for use of brass
That's what it cost me for ammunition that'll drive tacks.

$2 for most any entry level hunting round at the store......

But if you're just trying to save money don't do it. Unfortunately those days might be gone.

OP
SkHunter92
I don't know how you landed at $1.50 each.
35 cent bullet
10 cent primer
30 cent powder
10 cents for use of brass
That's what it cost me for ammunition that'll drive tacks.

$2 for most any entry level hunting round at the store......

But if you're just trying to save money don't do it. Unfortunately those days might be
I live in canada

Wolfshead

FNG
If I lived in Canada then I would absolutely start loading my own!
As restrictive as Canada is becoming, it is only a matter of time before they start regulating what, and how much you can have.
That said, you can get into reloading relatively inexpensivly.
At midway right now a Lee challenger breech lock single stage press is $85.
Lee ultimate 4 die set is $60
You can get a scale to measure powder from $30-$150 depending on what quality you decide you want.
Hornady interlocks are about 45 cents a bullet
Starline brass is $130 for 250 cases and you can reload them at least 4 times each, at least.
depending on what powder you use that will be up to $55 per pound but can be less expensive, depending.
So for around $400 your reloading for your rifle initial cost.
Ive had my press (same as I listed) for 12 years and it’s like brand new, as well as the die set.
I say take the plunge.

sdupontjr

WKR
I do it because I enjoy it and yes it does save me some money. I reload for 3 - 308's and I get to load them the way I want them. 1 of the Rem 700's the boys have was very picky. So all the factory ammo I was buying is nothing more that Range playing around ammo. Thats the one factor that no one even myself figured in when getting into reloading. "man I can just go down to the local walmart and pick up some ammo", but what folks fail to understand is what if the gun shoots like shit with that ammo. You just dropped $35 and now the box just sits on a shelf, or you have to sell/give it away. Go back to the store, try another brand / grain ammo. All that spending adds up as well over time. The initial hit of all the reloading supplies hurts, but you can tailor the ammo to a specific rifle. Not to mention if this brain-dead regime in the white house keeps hiking up ammo prices and shortages, I have my stash to keep going.

OP
SkHunter92
If I lived in Canada then I would absolutely start loading my own!
As restrictive as Canada is becoming, it is only a matter of time before they start regulating what, and how much you can have.
That said, you can get into reloading relatively inexpensivly.
At midway right now a Lee challenger breech lock single stage press is $85.
Lee ultimate 4 die set is $60
You can get a scale to measure powder from $30-$150 depending on what quality you decide you want.
Hornady interlocks are about 45 cents a bullet
Starline brass is $130 for 250 cases and you can reload them at least 4 times each, at least.
depending on what powder you use that will be up to $55 per pound but can be less expensive, depending.
So for around $400 your reloading for your rifle initial cost.
Ive had my press (same as I listed) for 12 years and it’s like brand new, as well as the die set.
I say take the plunge.
You make a good point. I'm sure once we get our meat head PM out of office things might go back to normal, but I was reading a post saying that in California they're not allowed to hunt with lead bullets anymore. Wouldn't be surprised if the hippies up here got a hold of that and made it law. In which case I fear ammo for any cartridge would be off the shelves quicker than they could stock it.

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
One thing that happens when you start reloading, you shoot more. The other thing that I have found for me is that I acquire more guns in different calibers because I have the ability to build ammo for them and satisfy my curiosity. Yes, start reloading and start down the rabbit hole:)

lhbackcountry

Lil-Rokslider
I was just curious if any of you guys think it would be worth it to reload for 308. I like the idea of having my own custom loads to shoot, but I'd need to invest in all the equipment and components to reload as I don't have any yet. Rock bottom ammo prices here are about $40/box and I priced it out I can reload with hornady sst for about $1.50/round. I've had good luck with those for accuracy at the range in superfprmance factory ammo. Thanks in advance.
Yes. It is the first round I started with thanks to literal buttload of data already on here and snipershide. It also made my learning curve much easier as I could shoot test rounds with the ar10 before moving to my hunting rig without worrying. I also have shot much more since and enjoyed the ocd nature of it.

TheGDog

WKR
I've been trying to warn any and everybody that will listen... ya gotta make sure to watch what they try to do here in CA and NY... they've ALWAYS been like their starter/tester kit to see what kinda pushback they'll get for any of their new hair-brained Anti-2A ideas they try to push.

THEN... they see whether or not on a State level if some bad isht like that is allowed to stand... in terms of pressure/legal-challenges. Then... sure seems like about 3-5yrs later there always comes talk of trying to make it be a Federal wide infringement.

Thankfully... we finally have the Internet and broadband is widely available so people are much more quickly keying in to this cycle and getting involved earlier on... which ultimately is likely saving us ALL money in legal challenges against this kinda stuff.

A note on factory ammo: there was factory ammo my 308 liked pretty well. After COVID it took a couple years before I could find any on the shelf and the stuff I can buy now doesn't shoot at all like the stuff I used to buy. It is my belief that ammo manufacturers may have relaxed tolerances in order to boost production.

One thing that happens when you start reloading, you shoot more. The other thing that I have found for me is that I acquire more guns in different calibers because I have the ability to build ammo for them and satisfy my curiosity. Yes, start reloading and start down the rabbit hole:)

Opposite to me. Time not reloading = more time for shooting.

Gotta start throwing charges! I can throw together 100 rounds of .223 faster than I can drive to the store to buy it 😂

In states that aren't as completely effed as California we go to this site called ammoseek to see when desired ammo is available on sale. Then we click buy and it shows up at our door!