Is reloading 308 worth is these days?

FLS

WKR
It’s 100 % worth it to reload. Stock up on components and you won’t give a crap about the next “shortage”

In states that aren't as completely effed as California we go to this site called ammoseek to see when desired ammo is available on sale. Then we click buy and it shows up at our door!
😂forgot about that part. Takes another 10min for the damn background check alone!

49ereric

WKR
Stick with factory ammo then buy enough ammo for years and years or spend the money on a used rock chucker or any used press and manuals etc.

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Reloading is where its at. You may not save a bunch but the benefits of loading your own are huge. Plus by having your own components you will not have to worry about shortages. Improved accuracy is a given and the knowledge gained is invaluable and will drive your partition in the sport to greater depths.

There is one down side that has not been mentioned. When you reload you shoot more. Currently I have two rifles with shot out barrels that I am preparing to have the barrels replaced. Cost 645.00 for one and 840 for the other so saving money is a moot point in my opinion.

Wolfshead

FNG
You make a good point. I'm sure once we get our meat head PM out of office things might go back to normal, but I was reading a post saying that in California they're not allowed to hunt with lead bullets anymore. Wouldn't be surprised if the hippies up here got a hold of that and made it law. In which case I fear ammo for any cartridge would be off the shelves quicker than they could stock it.
I’m from communist NY and they’re talking about going lead free on state lands. I do a lot of public land hunting so I’ve been working up a load for Barnes TTSX for when that happens.

z987k

WKR
If I lived in Canada then I would absolutely start loading my own!
As restrictive as Canada is becoming, it is only a matter of time before they start regulating what, and how much you can have.
That said, you can get into reloading relatively inexpensivly.
At midway right now a Lee challenger breech lock single stage press is $85.
Lee ultimate 4 die set is $60
You can get a scale to measure powder from $30-$150 depending on what quality you decide you want.
Hornady interlocks are about 45 cents a bullet
Starline brass is $130 for 250 cases and you can reload them at least 4 times each, at least.
depending on what powder you use that will be up to $55 per pound but can be less expensive, depending.
So for around $400 your reloading for your rifle initial cost.
Ive had my press (same as I listed) for 12 years and it’s like brand new, as well as the die set.
I say take the plunge.
If I lived in Canada, I'd pick a caliber and get a lifetime worth of components for it. A couple barrels to.

Wolfshead

FNG
If I lived in Canada, I'd pick a caliber and get a lifetime worth of components for it. A couple barrels to.
I live in communist NY.
I have to get a background check now to buy ammunition and have to pay a fee for said background check.
So far I don’t have to do that to buy components, but I’m sure somewhere down the road they’ll try to do something about that.
I just continue to pick up components as I can.

Yeah because an animal with a hole in its body is going to die from lead poisoning 🙄
Yeah right😜
It‘s just an attempt to make it harder and harder for people to get ammunition. Limit the cheap stuff and make them buy the expensive stuff and then create rules to make it more difficult and more expensive….