Is the 300 WSM Dead?

BCD

WKR
I bought an XBolt 300 WSM in 2019 to be my elk rifle. Factory ammo is getting harder to find and much more expensive. Do people feel this round will ever come back or will it just fade away? If I upgrade I feel I should maybe stay away from calibers such as the 6.8 Western, 300 PRC, 7PRC, and 6.5 PRC as it seems like maybe the same thing could happen to these calibers and I may be better off sticking to a 7MM or 300 Win Mag. Thoughts here? Thank You!

I just swapped out my 300 WSM for a 6.5 PRC (I know, vastly different but that's a different thread). So might I say I personally don't see it gaining popularity?

I do have some ammo and reloading dies for sale if in the market though! ;)

I highly doubt the PRC rounds are going anywhere...I did sell my WSM though for the reasons you stated. Almost everyone in my circle has gotten rid of the 300wm and 7RM in favor of the new PRC calibers. AND, I can find PRC rounds a hell of a lot easier than the two classics. The rifle MFG support is there, and the match shooters seem to be leading the way on where MFG support is...they are the ones shooting the most ammo and burning through barrels, so I get it. Get whatever you think is best, find the ammo it likes and buy a couple cases of it. I can find hornady eldm 7prc for about $40 per box.

There's still a compelling case to use a 300wsm. It's not far if any off of a 300prc from my research and comes in a more compact package. Personally, I think it's a cool round and wouldn't mind having one. I built a long action 300prc for my magnum gun and currently have no need for a 300wsm but it was between the two cartridges when I was deciding. The brass availability was the deciding factor.

I think that is impossible to determine right now. Prior to the ongoing shortages beginning in about 2012 or so, I would have said you'll be able to find ammo with no problems. Prior to 2012, it wasn't difficult to walk into a gun store and find a bunch of really obscure ammo like 6.5 Rem Mag or 307 Winchester, etc.

Now, that is not the case. Ammo manufacturers have pretty much dropped anything that is not a big seller. Even fairly "common" rounds like 338 Win Mag are tough to find and expensive.

If we ever get back to "normal" you'll be ok. If not, it will be a reloader's cartridge.

300wsm is a great design and definitely has merit. That doesn't mean that advertising new sexy cartridges may make it less popular. I'm not selling

If I'm reading this right, you're asking about it for your next rifle rather than your existing one? What are you upgrading? I wouldn't be surprised if WSM availability bounces up and down for a while like it has in recent times. A few years ago it seemed almost as prevalent in stores as WM then basically gone a year ago, to relatively available again now.

Nobody has a crystal ball. Gut says the 7 RM and 300 WM are probably safest but I wouldn't be shocked if the PRCs had more available ammo in a decade either.

If I'm reading this right, you're asking about it for your next rifle rather than your existing one? What are you upgrading? I wouldn't be surprised if WSM availability bounces up and down for a while like it has in recent times. A few years ago it seemed almost as prevalent in stores as WM then basically gone a year ago, to relatively available again now.

Nobody has a crystal ball. Gut says the 7 RM and 300 WM are probably safest but I wouldn't be shocked if the PRCs had more available ammo in a decade either.
Well ideally ammo becomes more available, and I can just keep the 300 WSM but yes also considering other options in the case that ammo availability continues to be a challenge.

Well ideally ammo becomes more available, and I can just keep the 300 WSM but yes also considering other options in the case that ammo availability continues to be a challenge.

It's available. Buy enough to last you a few years or the life of the barrel and revaluate.

It's available. Buy enough to last you a few years or the life of the barrel and revaluate.

It's available in general but not necessarily in the bullet I'm looking for (accubond, terminal ascent, trophy bonded tip, etc.). Of those currently listed per your link, which would you consider for elk? Thank You!!

It's available in general but not necessarily in the bullet I'm looking for (accubond, terminal ascent, trophy bonded tip, etc.). Of those currently listed per your link, which would you consider for elk? Thank You!!
Hornady Precision hunter - 200 ELDx - I have killed elk with this bullet in a xbolt 300wsm with handloads but the factory stuff shoots great in my xbolt as well.
Norma 180 gr Bondstrike - Never shot but seen favorable reports, similar to a 180 accubond, I think higher BC as well. Plus, norma component brass has worked well for me.

I bought an XBolt 300 WSM in 2019 to be my elk rifle. Factory ammo is getting harder to find and much more expensive. Do people feel this round will ever come back or will it just fade away? If I upgrade I feel I should maybe stay away from calibers such as the 6.8 Western, 300 PRC, 7PRC, and 6.5 PRC as it seems like maybe the same thing could happen to these calibers and I may be better off sticking to a 7MM or 300 Win Mag. Thoughts here? Thank You!
The PRCs are all here to stay. Especially the 6.5 and 7.

Yes it's dead. Sell it to me cheap so I can add to the rifles to shoot these thousand rounds out of at a rate of 40 per year 😀

Hornady Precision hunter - 200 ELDx - I have killed elk with this bullet in a xbolt 300wsm with handloads but the factory stuff shoots great in my xbolt as well.
Norma 180 gr Bondstrike - Never shot but seen favorable reports, similar to a 180 accubond, I think higher BC as well. Plus, norma component brass has worked well for me.
Agreed that the available eldx and bondstrike are fine elk killers. I'm pissed that Federal stopped loading the 150 gr NBT.

I would say if anything it’s gained popularity almost exponentially over the last 18-24 months.

Several high quality brass options that were non existent in the past.
All kinds of 300 WSM threads on various forums

Norma Bondstrike works very well. My rifle killed 2 Canadian moose this past season with 180 grain Bondstrike.
200 ELDX Federal shoots very very well. Under an inch 10 shot group.

Back