Is the 300 WSM Dead?

I greatly enjoy my used gunshop model 70 300 WSM. I settled on Federal Fusion 160 or 180 grain because at the time it was all I could find. Shoots that round very well but it's expensive at about $60.00 for 20 rounds at Big R. I don't have the time to commit to reloading which would save money but I do save all my brass. Hopefully availability will change for the better. Worked well on my mule deer and elk.

For those who do reload 300 WSM, how much is your cost per round? Factory ammo is $3.00 a round so it limits my range time for sure.

I greatly enjoy my used gunshop model 70 300 WSM. I settled on Federal Fusion 160 or 180 grain because at the time it was all I could find. Shoots that round very well but it's expensive at about $60.00 for 20 rounds at Big R. I don't have the time to commit to reloading which would save money but I do save all my brass. Hopefully availability will change for the better. Worked well on my mule deer and elk.

For those who do reload 300 WSM, how much is your cost per round? Factory ammo is $3.00 a round so it limits my range time for sure.

Rough #'s but at current component prices figure about 50 cents per bullet, 50 cents in powder, and 10 cents per primer. Call it $1.00-$1.20/ea, can be less, can be more.

Rough #'s but at current component prices figure about 50 cents per bullet, 50 cents in powder, and 10 cents per primer. Call it $1.00-$1.20/ea, can be less, can be more.
Thank you for responding. I'm jealous but at least reloading gives all 300 WSM shooters better economics which equates to more range time and more confidence on the mountain. I need to find someone to reload my brass, someone trustworthy....

As long as brass is available, it doesn't matter too much to me. But with its long range benchrest pedigree, and companies like ADG and Petersen making brass, it should have a niche for a long time (I hope).

This news about Lapua adding 300wsm is great. I have a lot of Nosler brass but options are great. I shoot 210LRABs out of mine though I haven't shot it much lately as I have been shooting my 257wby for the last couple years exclusively.

Reactions: BCD
I believe the 1000 yd Benchrest record was shot with a 300 WSM (unless it was recently broke?). 300 WSM is inherently accurate. Crunch between the WSM shooting heavies and the 7 PRC or the 300 WM, and is it worth gaining marginal ballistic numbers over proven accuracy of the 300 WSM?

Back