Is this ring on my jacket rifling?

I am getting a ring mark on the jacket of my bullets after chambering. Still pretty new to reloading so just wondering if anyone knows of this is the rifling? I tried marking up with a sharpie too and could not see any engraving.

Thanks!

568DBB6F-A9D7-4B42-904C-C64F8A23CFD9.jpeg

hiker270

WKR
Check some other bullets. If they have the ring and were not in your rifle it's your seating die. If there's no ring run several through your rifle and see if the ring appears. If it does seat your bullets deeper.

Rifling would mark the bullet at even intervals around the bullet. The pic shows a lot more than that, like the full circumference is being jammed in a hole too small.

Are you in a position to take a better picture? Or blacken the bullet and do it again and take another picture.

Vern400

WKR
Smoking it over a candle flame is an alternative to a sharpie. Picks up the slightest impression.
Excellent. Slight chance it could be a carbon ring if the barrel is fouled. Smoked bullets show me 6 distinct lands. I shoot about 0.010 jump.

packer58

WKR
Yup I loaded to mag length. I tried chambering a factory loaded round and did not get the ring so thinking this must be “jam” I’ll try bumping back another 50 thou.
Get the Hornady OAL tool and either purchase or build your gauge case ...... makes this whole conversation go away and you'll know exactly where to seat your bullets based on THAT chamber .... Food for thought ....

Not necessarily. Typically a round with a bullet seated deeper than a round that jams the lands generally decreases in pressure.
a bullet that is jammed does increase pressure yes, but a heavy load that may be based on the increased case capacity can also be over pressure when the bullet is seated deeper, therefore reducing case capacity. again, just something to be aware of. if the load is a mid to low published load, then there is no concern, I just prefer safety over assumption.

without knowing your load, seating deeper will increase pressure so just something to keep in mind.
Absolutely. Like was said as well, safety over assumption.

Did some short/long seating with my 44 Mag Revolver as an experiment a few years back. Almost 100 fps difference with otherwise identical loads when seating to the front cannelure vs the rear cannelure with the Hornady 300 gr XTP.

OP, the original post said you saw no engraving with a sharpie, I can't see it jamming the throat and not showing some rifling marks. Not that it matters at this point in the thread, just curious.

a bullet that is jammed does increase pressure yes, but a heavy load that may be based on the increased case capacity can also be over pressure when the bullet is seated deeper, therefore reducing case capacity. again, just something to be aware of. if the load is a mid to low published load, then there is no concern, I just prefer safety over assumption.

There was a study on this I read a while back that indicated seating depth (assuming not jammed) had an insignificant impact on pressure but throat length or freebore had a significant impact. Enough that I don't even consider seating depth impacts on pressure anymore loading off the lands and not at max pressures.

I can't find the damn thing now..

Here's how my simple mind thinks about it - it takes some pressure to expand the case and case neck to release the bullet but not near peak SAAMI pressures. It makes sense to me that pressures would rise faster if the bullet is seated deep in the case reducing the space for the initial "explosion" to occur in. Once the bullet is released from the case it moves forward without resistance until squeezed by the lands - the space behind the bullet when it meets resistance from the lands is a different capacity independent of where it was seated in the case and seems reasonable that it would have a larger impact on peak pressures.

Edit: found other studies contradicting the above where seating depth has a clear impact on pressure. Note that in the graph below seating deeper only DECREASED pressure until bullet was seated over 0.250" from the lands. It makes me wonder how much load density impacts the results.
seating depth.gif

Last edited: