Is your next generation adding or losing hunters?

Is the next generation of your family most likely going to add or lose hunters?

• Losing hunters

Votes: 57 47.5%
  • Gaining hunters

Votes: 63 52.5%

• Total voters
I was thinking about the trend of hunter numbers and my family. My dad hunted and he taught my brother and I to hunt. My sister never tried hunting. My brother has 2 kids and one hunts. My sister has one kid that doesn't hunt. I don't have kids. So depending on how my one nephew that hunts raises his future kids, I think we are likely to see a net loss of hunters in our family. I don't see my nephew raising kids to hunt based off the trajectory of his life decisions.

CorbLand

WKR
I don’t have kids so who knows but my brothers do and their two oldest daughters hunt. Who knows if they will keep it up.

The number of hunters in the field has done nothing but go up the last 10 years. The narrative that we need are losing hunters is false. Look around you when you are in the field.

We may have lost a few but not many and the number that we have lost is not equivalent to the amount of huntable land that has been lost to urbanization

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am likely replacing myself and adding 2. My kids don’t have video game systems and I won’t prioritize athletics over hunting so I am guessing my kids will be all in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
My grandpa hunted and my dad did when he was young. My dad had a very busy career and 6 of us kids at home. He did a great job teaching us outdoors, camping, and backpacking but he never took us hunting. Out of 4 boys in my family, I’m the only one that hunts.

I have two sons and they both are already talking about wanting to hunt. They will both most likely hunt when they are old enough but you never know. Certainly won’t force them into it but will encourage it.

AKDoc

WKR
I'm the only one who hunts from my family of origin...we were raised on a small farm. I just sent a box of moose meat to nieces and nephews!

My daughter and son both grew-up hunting with me, eating wild game, and they both took most of their first animals with me. They both continue to be active hunters as adults (and still like being with dad LOL). My son and I just went moose hunting this year, and he took a 62" bull that I called in. My daughter has taken her first ram with her husband, and she got her first caribou with a bow this year hunting with her husband above the Arctic Circle...he's a devoted bow hunter. I have no doubt their 4yo son is going to be a (bow) hunter...he's already practicing LOL!

The number of hunters in the field has done nothing but go up the last 10 years. The narrative that we need are losing hunters is false. Look around you when you are in the field.

The same amount of people are out because tag numbers are what they are.

A certain amount are new, but give it a few years and many won't continue. For western states that issue tags through a draw, the number of applications has gone up, but roughly the same amount of people are hunting as 10 years ago

Last edited:

Worm

FNG
Hopefully my boys stay with it. I think they have been a little spoiled with some youth tags. Once the see how the “real world” works for tags it’s 50/50…

OP
MuleyFever

A certain amount are new, but give it a few years and many won't continue. For western states thatnissue tags through a draw, the number of applications has gone up, but roughly the same amount of people are hunting as 10 years ago

If you want to debate hunter numbers try this thread.

I'm simply asking what's likely going to happen within your family.

SDHNTR

WKR

A certain amount are new, but give it a few years and many won't continue. For western states thatnissue tags through a draw, the number of applications has gone up, but roughly the same amount of people are hunting as 10 years ago
I don’t buy that for a second. Point creep is insane and every state that issues general/otc tags and licenses sells more and or sells out faster than ever.

SDHNTR

WKR
Gaining here. My son is a natural born hunter. Can’t get enough. He will hunt down flys with a flyswatter if that’s what it comes down to.

Marble

WKR
I do not have to stats on front of me, but there had been a trend of less and less licenses being purchased for the last 30 years. I'm sure someone e here can pull the stats nationwide for total hunting licenses are being purchased.

I think there has been a shift towards western Elk/mule deer hunting by a lot of people, mainly because of how much information is now available. The barrier to entry prior was mainly knowing the who, what, when, where and how of hunting.

I suspect in the next several years there will be a lot of hunters that fade out of this for numerous reasons. Not sure if it will be enough to really make difference with the current shit show we are experiencing.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

hunt1up

WKR
My two kids are all in, especially my son. I could see my daughter getting a little more casual with it as life progresses but as it stands they both get after it more than most men I know. So net +1 as of now.

ODB

WKR
I do not have to stats on front of me, but there had been a trend of less and less licenses being purchased for the last 30 years. I'm sure someone e here can pull the stats nationwide for total hunting licenses are being purchased.

I think there has been a shift towards western Elk/mule deer hunting by a lot of people, mainly because of how much information is now available. The barrier to entry prior was mainly knowing the who, what, when, where and how of hunting.

I suspect in the next several years there will be a lot of hunters that fade out of this for numerous reasons. Not sure if it will be enough to really make difference with the current shit show we are experiencing.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

On another forum I saw a guy get really pissed at Idaho FNG because the system glitched and he went from 700 something to 40,000 something in line to get a tag. I was like...bruh...maybe you are part of the problem...

If you want to debate hunter numbers try this thread.

I'm simply asking what's likely going to happen within your family.

Merely responding to the post relative to a draw, nothing more.

I don’t buy that for a second. Point creep is insane and every state that issues general/otc tags and licenses sells more and or sells out faster than ever.

The only thing "point creep" does is makes it more difficult to draw. It doesn't increase the number of tags in the draw.

Most western states are draw for a large portion of tags. I never said anything about OTC...

SDHNTR

WKR
Merely responding to the post relative to a draw, nothing more.

The only thing "point creep" does is makes it more difficult to draw. It doesn't increase the number of tags in the draw.

Most western states are draw for a large portion of tags. I never said anything about OTC...
Yea, please give me a lesson in point creep. I must really struggle to understand it. Only been applying in western states for more than 3 decades. It must be happening because there’s LESS hunters applying for tags. Riiiiiigggghhht.

For western states that issue tags through a draw, the number of applications has gone up,

Yea, please give me a lesson in point creep. I must really struggle to understand it. Only been applying in western states for more than 3 decades. It must be happening because there’s LESS hunters applying for tags. Riiiiiigggghhht.

You're taking this way too personally. See the excerpt from my first post.

Never said less hunters are applying. I said the number of applications have gone up, I.e., more hunters are applying.

The same number of hunters in the woods for these permits are approximately the same over the years because these permits have not gone up an appreciable amount...

States with points result in, as you say, "point creep". States without points simply means you draw less often.