Itch for new rifle...help needed

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
So I've gotten the itch to get a new rifle that is more focused around "longer" range western hunting. I fully understand most of shooting longer distance is practice, but I like the idea of right tool for the job. I currently own a few hunting rifles, but they all have flaws in my eyes. My 30-30 is my WI close range rifle. I have a Rem 7600 pump 30-06 that's fun to shoot but HEAVY. My main rifle is a X-Bolt 7-08, but I don't love the stock, it's a blued barrel, so not great in weather, it's not threaded to help reduce recoil, and it actually struggles to eject certain ammo (sent it back to Browning and they said it was fixed, but it only reduced the issue). I will be having my 3rd boy coming this December so I know adding another rifle in the safe will get used. I'm focused on a rifle mainly for deer size game with the occasional elk size game out to 500 yards. Preferably lower recoil such as 308, 7-08, 6.5CM/PRC, 270, etc. I would consider up to a 30-06 level of recoil, but don't really want anything more since in the future I'd like to build a 7mm or 300 PRC as a dedicated larger animal rifle once ammo is more readily available. I don't reload, so keep factory ammo options in mind. Ideally would like to keep it under $2000 for the rifle, but flexible here within reason. Here's what I'm considering, but please chime in with options, feedback, reviews, etc....

Tikka T3X Stainless:
I don't like the factory stock, so I would need to set aside money for something better (like XLR or MDT). I also would likely need to get the barrel threaded and a brake unless I move up to the Roughtech or Vail. I hate the idea of not being able to unload while on safe like the x-bolt, but it's something I could live with.

Sig Cross:
Love the feel of this gun and how compact it is, but I'm not convinced with the shorter barrels, so would likely save money for something aftermarket. I've also ready lots about quality issues.

Waypoint 2020:
Good reviews from what I've seen, but never actually handled one. To come in at my price point, I'd need to go stainless barrel, but I think I'd try and find a way to save up for the carbon one depending on feedback.

Bergara Crest Squared:
Similar to the waypoint, but seems to be getting some mixed reviews. I also saw somewhere the barrel isn't stainless under the cerakote which doesn't make sense at this price point.

Seekins Havak ph2:
Wasn't initially on my radar, but I've been seeing great reviews on this forum. I'm one of the few that doesn't like the look of the fluted spiral barrel, but that's just being picky. I also am not a huge fan of the longer barrels for a mountain rifle.

Thanks in advance. I know there are pro's and con's to each, so interested in what the thread brings so I can continue my research.

I picked up the Seekins a few years ago. Bigger rifle in 300wm. It's a shooter. You will not go wrong picking one up. Will see how it does in the mountains but I was banging a 10" gong at 550 yards off just the bipod on Sunday. Easily an MOA rifle and I have dropped some sub half MOA groups with it.

Under 9lbs with the long action and a 3 x 15 Vortex LH. I don't even use a brake.

Gun shop had a used 6.5 CM this weekend. SOOO tempting and I don't even like that round.

Attachments

• spartan.jpg
    spartan.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 52
tikka t3x roughtech 270 win! I just bought one in 300 win mag for a dedicated elk rifle and am already saving $$ to buy one in 270 win. nice out of the box option imo.

OP
Deli

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
Sako S20 solves all of your complaints with the Tikka.
I was originally looking at these, but they are all 2-3 lbs heavier than the tikka which isn't ideal for a mountain rifle. Something to consider though.

atmat

WKR
You can get a Tikka stainless for $800. The stocks are totally salvageable with some minor work. But if you hate it, sell the stock, sign up for a 10% off Stocky’s and buy the vertical grip for $500 shipped. Then pay someone $150 to cut and thread your barrel. All in, you’ll be at $1450 and have a sweet setup. I have this setup; it weighs 7.5 lbs with a 20oz scope. A pic is on post #2,347 here: https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/lets-see-your-semi-custom-tikka-builds.92404/page-118

As far as caliber, any of the 6mm cartridges will get you to 500 yards and keep you legal in all elk states.

Last edited:

TaperPin

WKR
The tradition response to what you’re looking for would be a 270, but the 6.5 ammo is available everywhere and it’s a little easier to shoot for a new hunter. The good news is any of your choices will work great. I just looked at a short stocked Tikka in 6.5 and thought it was a pretty nice package for the price.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
For $2000, just get the Sequins. There are even some gently used Seekins for $1500ish that come up. You can dress up a Tikka, but it’s still a long action and dressed up. That might be good or bad depending on what you want to do that, but an off the shelf Seekins is the best value/price going.

A 6.5 cm because if you are considering a .308, the 6.5 barrel can be 4-6 inches shorter than comparable 308/6.5 factory ammo and you have better ballistics and velocity in the 6.5. The 308 doesn’t gain you much over a 6.5. The difference in “killing power” between a 168 gr 308 and a 140 6.5 is minimal.

Or, Seekins in 6 creed. The 105-115 class bullets are gonna kill just fine. Look at the long .224 Sierra 77 gr TMK thread on here for convincing. Dead critter pics don’t lie.

atmat

WKR
For $2000, just get the Sequins. There are even some gently used Seekins for $1500ish that come up. You can dress up a Tikka, but it’s still a long action and dressed up. That might be good or bad depending on what you want to do that, but an off the shelf Seekins is the best value/price going.

A 6.5 cm because if you are considering a .308, the 6.5 barrel can be 4-6 inches shorter than comparable 308/6.5 factory ammo and you have better ballistics and velocity in the 6.5. The 308 doesn’t gain you much over a 6.5. The difference in “killing power” between a 168 gr 308 and a 140 6.5 is minimal.

Or, Seekins in 6 creed. The 105-115 class bullets are gonna kill just fine. Look at the long .224 Sierra 77 gr TMK thread on here for convincing. Dead critter pics don’t lie.
Seekins makes great rifles no doubt. But the Tikka you can get as nice for cheaper, customized to how you want it. The Seekins you’re stuck with their barrel lengths and hideous fluting.

I’d still happily own a Seekins Element though haha.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Seekins makes great rifles no doubt. But the Tikka you can get as nice for cheaper, customized to how you want it. The Seekins you’re stuck with their barrel lengths and hideous fluting.

I’d still happily own a Seekins Element though haha.
Hideous fluting, but they shoot! Lol

The warranty for a Seekins is unmatched. Break it and they fix it.

If you want to “customize”, there are tons of options. Tikka among the best. That’s one positive for it. To get comparable to a Seekins in features, the actual out of pocket gets a lot closer to $2000 than most admit, in my opinion.

bradgrace

FNG
The seekins are hard to beat for the money. The lifetime warranty and the fact they stand behind it are great additions too.

I would go with the TIKKA T3x Ember in your choice of calibers (mine would probably be 6.5PRC) and put a good scope on it.. You should pretty easily come in for 2k or less.. The Ember and Roughtechs have the D18 contour/fluted barrels (Slightly larger in diameter than the lite) and are pre threaded.. I've got a few of them and they are all shooters. Later on if you want to upgrade or change calibers, Swap out the factory with a proof carbon and have at it.. Good luck with your selection..

Hnthrdr

WKR
If you are 500 and in I would not shy away from a shorter barrel. Will you ever suppress it? If so shorter barrels are great. If you are looking for a rifle for your kiddos 6.5 is a pretty soft kicker.

atmat

WKR
Hideous fluting, but they shoot! Lol

The warranty for a Seekins is unmatched. Break it and they fix it.

If you want to “customize”, there are tons of options. Tikka among the best. That’s one positive for it. To get comparable to a Seekins in features, the actual out of pocket gets a lot closer to $2000 than most admit, in my opinion.
Honestly you left the best part about Seekins out: if you shoot out the barrel, ship it to them and they’ll rebarrel with another Rock Creek for only $450! That’s an insanely cool offer.

OP
Deli

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
If you are 500 and in I would not shy away from a shorter barrel. Will you ever suppress it? If so shorter barrels are great. If you are looking for a rifle for your kiddos 6.5 is a pretty soft kicker.
Sadly I can't see getting a suppressor anytime soon. I live in NJ where they are illegal so can't technically own one even using it out of state. I'm trying to convince my dad and brother to apply since they live in WI and then put me on a trust, but they are close range stand hunters that shoot their rifles a week before season to make sure they are good and that's it so probably unlikely.