Its Official I'm Moving to Great Falls

holzgene

FNG
My Fiance just landed a new job in Great Falls, Montana. We are moving after the holidays. I am more than excited for the new hunting/fishing/backpacking opportunities that Montana has to offer. Any areas I should focus on with my scouting for elk/muleys/black bears/antelopes?

Great falls is great in terms that you have a lot of choices. You can go east to the little belts or highwoods for elk. South towards Helena for elk. West towards the front for elk. You will drive at least 40 minutes for elk. Deer on the other hand there are alot of closer lands that if you're not picky you can fill your tags on. Great duck hunting and okay bird hunting is nearby. As to the fishing I haven't quite figured that part out yet. Enjoy great falls!

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
On the Missouri, in general, downstream for warm water fishing—walleye, pike, sturgeon, etc— and upstream for trout. If you can’t find does to hunt, you probably haven’t left town.

I’m jealous, too. I lived there in the late 90s and would go back immediately if 1) I could get paid what I do here and 2) I could avoid a divorce in the process. The town is a bit rough, but I love the area.

If you're a meat hunter like I am you shouldn't have a problem filling a and b tags in nearby public land. If you're a trophy hunter and don't hunt does then you will have a much tougher time. Also make sure to practice at a range. I don't know where you're from but shots over 200 yards are very common on deer and elk. And elk even further.

WCB

WKR
You are basically on one of the best trout fisheries in the country on the Missouri (the better fishing is closer to Helena). Great Black Bear hunting directly to your west basically...elk just to your south. Start putting in for the breaks units as you are pretty close. Some good deer hunting 80 miles or so to your North East if your looking for big bucks.

Montana is a big state....you have solved 99.9% of the issue with hunting Montana and that is becoming a resident and getting cheap tags every year.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The wind can suck, but the chinooks are nice and warm in the winter. You’ll see temperatures rise sometimes 50-60 degrees in a few hours when a chinook happens.

And they have several breweries now. Wish they’d have been there when I lived there. Now I just get to go when I visit my daughter.

OP
holzgene

holzgene

FNG
I had never even heard of a Chinook....wish we had some of those in Michigan while I lived here!

Also, I've never even hunted out west before....so my first few years are going to involve lots of learning and low expectations. I definitely going to do some research on some of the units I should be putting in for each year.

JJBuck

FNG
Considering your from Michigan the cold probably doesn't bother you...so your in a great area for all things hunting and fishing!!

MT257

WKR
Wind blows most every day. Be prepared and educated about bears. What type of jobs did you guys take coming to Great Falls?

I would give up most everything I have to be able to move to MT or ID. I'm 12 years in the refining industry and there just aren't many/any jobs in that field (that I can find). I'm single and no children. Id literally pack up and roll out next week if I could find a job. To say I am jealous would be an understatement.

bwhntMT

Lil-Rokslider
Lived there for 20+ years of my life. It is an outdoorsman's paradise. Bit of a rough town and not the easiest place to make a living. And the wind... I hate the wind. I liked living there. Hope you enjoy it.

OP
holzgene

holzgene

FNG
Wind blows most every day. Be prepared and educated about bears. What type of jobs did you guys take coming to Great Falls?
My Fiancé took a job in the conservation field. I'm open to anything I can get into honestly, I'm still in the midsts of job searching.

Mt Al

WKR
As others have written, you're landing in a killer outdoorsman's paradise. Great Falls is a great place and one of its best traits is that it isn't trendy or advertised as cool, so housing costs less and you're fighting smaller hunting/fishing crowds. I have two good friends there and they have zero desire to move back to Bozeman. Your Michigan fishing-ness translates well to lakes around Helena and reservoirs to the North and East (massive Ft. Peck).

Congrats!