Its that time of year 2023 fitness goals

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
@twall13 Congrats on the bear! :)

I had a really good April- 239 miles (probably 60-70 of those miles on snowshoes), shit ton of elevation too. 700 miles for the year, which puts me just ahead of schedule for 2023 miles.

5 day backpacking trip in Arizona earlier in the month and just got back from a 4 day snowshoe trip across the Bob Marshall boosted the miles a bunch.

I've had to revert to body weight strength training, due to a ham string that is being stubborn. It's going fine, but really miss pushing weight :(

aMal6VX.jpg

c3nSftV.jpg

61nDFdZ.jpg

qLtx4JB.jpg

IoVpCef.jpg

MkGTlN7.jpg

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
201 running miles for April, have a marathon this weekend a 50k the week after and eying another 100miler Memorial Day weekend so may should be decent 👍🏻 still slacking on weights but dealing with some shoulder pain for a while so I’m using That as an excuse! 😂

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
@twall13 Congrats on the bear! :)

I had a really good April- 239 miles (probably 60-70 of those miles on snowshoes), shit ton of elevation too. 700 miles for the year, which puts me just ahead of schedule for 2023 miles.

5 day backpacking trip in Arizona earlier in the month and just got back from a 4 day snowshoe trip across the Bob Marshall boosted the miles a bunch.

I've had to revert to body weight strength training, due to a ham string that is being stubborn. It's going fine, but really miss pushing weight :(

aMal6VX.jpg

c3nSftV.jpg

61nDFdZ.jpg

qLtx4JB.jpg

IoVpCef.jpg

MkGTlN7.jpg

You covered a nice range of landscapes !

stevewes2004

Lil-Rokslider
Goals are centered around strength for me, as I get a good amount of cardio from everyday life. I’m 5’8, 160lbs.. and hope to stay around 160-165.

1. 500lbs deadlift (at 425 currently)

2. Ability to perform a muscle up (overall upper body strength/power/technique)

Peak Kifaru E&E bottom left

384d736c77d6e43cb7c0cd90236de745.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
May was a pretty good month for me despite some setbacks. I'm back on track with my elevation gain goal but still a bit behind on the mileage. Unfortunately my knee has progressively gotten worse and I had to stop trail running. I'm scheduled to get my knee scoped and clean up a torn meniscus etc. next week. That likely means June won't be a great mileage month while I recover but hopefully it fixes my knee problems so I can get back on track before my August archery hunt. I have a backpacking trip planned for the end of the month but we'll see if my knee is up to it by then.

Current stats for the year:

Trail Running Miles: 289
Hiking Miles: 113
Mtn. Biking Miles: 199
Total Trail Miles: 601 of 1,600 goal for the year
Total elevation gain: 105,000 of 250,000 goal for the year.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
May was a pretty good month for me- 195 miles (895 for the year), boosted by a couple of backpack Spring bear hunts and the recent Bob Marshall Wilderness Open. We got stymied by high water on the Open, which wasn't unexpected given the high flows and rain while we were out which just added to it. I think Tom and I might go back soon and finish it just to not leave things half finished :)

I've been back to lifting twice a week, but keeping things no higher than 70% of 1RM- nice to be back in the gym!

ADBzesO.jpg

dC83L31.jpg

250tWgy.jpg

62jlLht.jpg

v4xgBEY.jpg

May was a not what i had hoped woth IT band issues surfacing late april. I toned down the miles and did 105. Got a 15 mile and a 10 mile run in last week felt good but reaggrivated it kneeling down to untie my ahoes after. Feels fine again a few days later. Going to my second PT appointment tomorrow to address the weaknesses leading to it but feel like im getting back on track for my longterm goals atleast.

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
May was a not what i had hoped woth IT band issues surfacing late april. I toned down the miles and did 105. Got a 15 mile and a 10 mile run in last week felt good but reaggrivated it kneeling down to untie my ahoes after. Feels fine again a few days later. Going to my second PT appointment tomorrow to address the weaknesses leading to it but feel like im getting back on track for my longterm goals atleast.

It band pain sucks!! I’ve had it and the only thing that seems to help me is a “standing it band stretch” they say you can’t stretch it but it helps relive the pain and now i do it as preventative Maintenance.

211 running miles with 19k vert for May. I skipped the 100miler last month due to scheduling but running a 100k later this month!

rojocop

FNG
I’d like to get to a point where I can run 5k outdoors. I’m very much a treadmill “runner” and have a couple of knee issues but I’d love to feel the freedom of a 5k along the seawall in my city.

I’d also love to be able to see my VO2 max increase too!

The last three premium elk tags I’ve drawn I lost 30 pounds (40 lbs last time)

32lbs would take me from being really fat to just fat. That’s my goal before September. I’m down 9 pounds since Wyoming draw results were posted.

Checked another goal off yesterday. Completed a 1 mile swim!! It wasn’t pretty or fast by any means but I did it. Considering I could barely swim 25 yards 2 months ago I’m happy with the result.

I’ve 16 weeks until my HIM. So now it’s time to start improving

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Decent June, no real long trips but consistently hiked every day. 154 miles, 1049 miles for the year- puts me on track for 2023 by year's end :)

Half the miles were with a weighted pack, 35# earlier in the month, 40# later. Will be bumping it up next week to 45#.

Got all my strength training in (twice a week), still keeping the upper threshold to 75% of my 1RM- sets range from 5x5 to 5x10, depending on the week.

My hamstring hasn't flared, but I can feel the damn thing in the background- a very tenacious injury for sure.

Did get a couple of short overnighters in.

ZfWJE0x.jpg

BraxbPD.jpg

iuwXuUg.jpg

Last edited:

twall13

WKR
Halfway through the year. I had my knee scoped and cleaned up at the beginning of the month so I spent a lot more time on a bike and will likely continue that through July but I'm feeling pretty good all things considered. I may try trail running later this month but not for a few more weeks at least. I did get one backpacking trip in this past weekend. Here's my update.

Trail Running Miles- 289
Hiking Miles- 148
Mtn. Biking Miles- 341
Total Trail Miles- 778 of 1,600 goal for the year
Total Elevation Gain- 131,000 of 250,000 goal for the year.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
a301d46fd77db84ab9db7f324e82fc51.jpg
6a6d6861196817d10ca1cb59e2074f03.jpg