Its that time of year 2023 fitness goals

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
-more backpack training
-more consistency with my kettlebells
-more intervals during cardio sessions vs LSD work
-hard finisher after all “cardio” workouts.

Smaller goals are:
-better time on the 5min KB snatch test
-better time on my 200kb snatch finisher
-sub 18min 5k on my c2 rower
-get back into dong pull-ups regularity

Related hunting goals:
-shoot more
-load more ammo
-start cutting things out of my life that don’t make be a better hunter. This includes people, vices, habits etc.

Seeknelk

WKR
Lost 20# since early November. Been holding steady. 43 year old new work plumber so I'm pretty active.
5-10- was 273+ in Nov.
253 # currently

Goals- get squat back to #500
DL up around 550
Bench -350#
20 pullups
225# is an arbitrary number but sounds good.
Been lifting since the day general season ended. Had a month of insidious coughing , turned out to be some type of Pneumonia. The coughing cracked a rib! So the meds fixed the pneumonia and cough almost overnight but cracked ribs are a b#tch!
Able to keep some training going thru it with alternatives like knees over toes lunges, dumbbell, single leg rdl etc .
Hike thru out winter looking for sheds, etc. But also hike at least one day after work on local hill. Also, start snapping the puck around again playing hockey! Man I'm missing out on good hockey!

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
I’m 58, 5’ 11” and 190. I’ve been on a cardiac rehab program to recover from COVID for 16 months. I’ve lost 31 lbs but likely put on 10 plus of muscle, so I’ve lost 40+ lbs of fat. My goals are to keep on going. I hope to drop 30 more pounds of fat this year and build 12 more pounds of muscle. My cardio is primarily rucking with a weighted pack. When I started I could just walk around the house once with no pack. Now I am up to 2 hours (5miles) with a 60 lb pack. If it’s raining I will substitute a couple of hours on a recumbent bike. I also do a full body workout with dumbbells 3 days per week. The end goal is to get my BP and all my lipids in normal range and have substantially increased energy.

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
In 2022 I was on a roll! Best shape I had been in 15 years. Was down 45 lbs (282-237) and feeling great. Blew my back out end of June and had spinal fusion surgery 9-28. PT is going well and I did my first Elliptical workout today since June. There was some pain but I did 20 mins and it felt awesome to work up a sweat again!

Goals are get down to 220 (currently at 250)
Workout 240 days this year. That’s 20 per month.
Have my back healed and strong enough to go chase some Elk this fall.
Did you injure your back working out?

03mossy

WKR
No. I was doing some landscaping (screeting sand) and re-injured a disk I thought was healed from years before. Messed it up bad this time.

OP
D

DuckDogDr

WKR
That is a lot to lose in one year.
Yea but I want too as much as I need to… I want to avoid a lot of health issues ..
There’s a lot of diabetes in my family and that is not conducive to Scuba Diving or extended periods of long camping trips which I used to enjoy

My main physical goal is to complete a 50 mile ultra. Id like to maintain some level of strength by lifting once or twice a week. so to measure that im hoping my deadlift stays in the 350 ish ball park. Id like to do these with out affecting “family time” with the fiance.

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
Yea but I want too as much as I need to… I want to avoid a lot of health issues ..
There’s a lot of diabetes in my family and that is not conducive to Scuba Diving or extended periods of long camping trips which I used to enjoy
I dig it. I just can’t lose weight that fast. I could when I was young, but now it takes consistent diet, consistent cardio, and a lot of time. Good luck.

Blacktocomm

Lil-Rokslider
My goal for this year is run 1k miles and mountain bike 250 miles.

We have it planned to run Rim to Rim to Rim this year- but I already have a feeling 2 of the 4 in our hunting group will cancel and we will end up doing it next year.

Same goals as last year...because they worked!
1. fitness this elk in my freezer.
2. 20 days a month doing Crossfit
3. At least 4 days a month doing 5 mile weighted rucks
4. At least one 5k run a month

Not really fitness but also get to the range at least 2x a month and practice out to at least 600yds.

OP
D

DuckDogDr

WKR
In 12 days? That is about as aggressive as you can safely loose weight. Maybe some of that is water?
I don’t think I’ve gotten into water weight yet. I haven’t had much time to go to gym as I finish out my notice at my old job.

I quit cold Turkey on the mountain dews, root beer and Monsters (even the zero calorie ones)

I also quit getting a bag of Doritos or candy bars when my techs make gas station runs, I refuse to get Doritos or candy / other junk food. I have string cheese and almonds or cashews I pack.
Planning to make some elk jerky next week when I’m off off from work and can prep / cook / clean over a few days

My girlfriend is being super supportive and helping me with meal prepping. And I’ve really tried to quit eating anything past 8 pm even if I’m starving until I’m home and can have a protein smoothie with egg protein, Greek yogurt, oats and fresh fruit and honey from my own hives. — chik fila is across the street and that used to be my morning breakfast.

I am kind of addicted to a jalapeño / cheese breakfast sausage that I have most mornings with smoothies. Recently discovered a chicken/ Apple bourbon I may swap to.

I love pizza and we have started home making them with either cauliflower or almond flower crusts and add whatever toppings

I really get to hit the gym starting tomorrow so I hope the weight will really come off then. My garmin watch came yesterday so I plan to use it to monitor stats / speeds etc

My 2022 goal was to train for and complete my first marathon and I did that.

2023. Complete my 2nd marathon and beat my time from last year. Signed up for race in March 2023.

Complete my first Ironman 70.3. Already signed up for a race in October 2023. Signing up and paying for these events forces me to train hard for them!!

Hike the Foothills Trail (77 miles).

Take a week off work and complete another section of the Appalachian trail. I used to do this every year but haven’t been able to in several years.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My 2022 goal was to train for and complete my first marathon and I did that.

2023. Complete my 2nd marathon and beat my time from last year. Signed up for race in March 2023.

Complete my first Ironman 70.3. Already signed up for a race in October 2023. Signing up and paying for these events forces me to train hard for them!!

Hike the Foothills Trail (77 miles).

Take a week off work and complete another section of the Appalachian trail. I used to do this every year but haven’t been able to in several years.
How much does it cost to register for an Ironman or half Ironman these days? The last Ironman I did was in 2008 and if I remember, they were already ~ 550.00 just for registration and you more or less had to be online as soon as the event opened or they would sell out.

There were other Ironman distance events that weren’t official Ironmans, some were better than others but man even back 15 years ago, those Ironman events would shut down cities and have a thousand or more volunteers.

How much does it cost to register for an Ironman or half Ironman these days? The last Ironman I did was in 2008 and if I remember, they were already ~ 550.00 just for registration and you more or less had to be online as soon as the event opened or they would sell out.

There were other Ironman distance events that weren’t official Ironmans, some were better than others but man even back 15 years ago, those Ironman events would shut down cities and have a thousand or more volunteers.
IM 70.3 $379 plus $50 USAT membership fee. It’s not terrible. Where they get you is trying to sell you all the other junk (race pics packet, upgraded race experience/preferential treatment)

I just pay for the basic. I’m out to compete against myself. I’m not going win anything. I don’t need t-shirts or fancy stuff. All I want is to cross the finish line.