JB Weld Removal from Action

BrentH

WKR
Long story short, I screwed up somewhere with my release agent (or lack thereof) with a pic rail. 🤦‍♂️ Can I put the required 600* to it to break it free, or will I risk screwing something else up with that high of heat? I'm sure I will catch some flak for even having to ask this, and at this point, I will send it out to someone more qualified if I have to, but hoping I can correct it on my own. Thanks!

Tod osier

WKR
Long story short, I screwed up somewhere with my release agent (or lack thereof) with a pic rail. 🤦‍♂️ Can I put the required 600* to it to break it free, or will I risk screwing something else up with that high of heat? I'm sure I will catch some flak for even having to ask this, and at this point, I will send it out to someone more qualified if I have to, but hoping I can correct it on my own. Thanks!

You can test it by making some up and seeing how much heat it takes to get it to yield, but I'd be real surprised (given the testing I've done with other epoxies) if it took a full 600 degrees. I wouldn't even hesitate to get out the heat gun, get the action out of the stock and go at it. Lot of epoxies get noticeably soft at 2-300 degrees.

Broomd

WKR
You can test it by making some up and seeing how much heat it takes to get it to yield, but I'd be real surprised (given the testing I've done with other epoxies) if it took a full 600 degrees. I wouldn't even hesitate to get out the heat gun, get the action out of the stock and go at it. Lot of epoxies get noticeably soft at 2-300 degrees.
Yep, was gonna suggest the same.

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
I have no idea why you put JB Weld on your gun, but rather an a heat gun or torch, try putting the entire barreled action in the oven. It will heat more evenly. I have used that method to release red Loc-Tite in the past.

Last edited:

gumbl3

WKR
In my experience just put the scope on.. That JB stuff never lasts and always fails at the worst time

OP
BrentH

BrentH

WKR
Thanks guys, and I won't be using JB at all in the future. Turns out JB Weld doesn't like cold either, and I was able to get the rail off.