Joint Stiffness and Pain

Well turning 50 in a few months and all of a sudden having some elbow joint pain. I suffer from tendonitis all the years of ball but this is different its deep and feels like in the joints. Whats weird hurts a lot more after heavy bench routine. Heavy for me is 225-260. wondering if at my age scrap the heavy lifting and move to a more functional routine like Mt. Tough etc..thoughts. Trying to keep what muscle mass i have but go from 192-180/185. Im 5'10"

I am 62. On the supplement side straight Vegetable based Glucosamine without Chondroitin has been magic for me for 25 years. I am hearing good things about CBD including my wife who gets throbbing arthritis pain in joints.

On the weight side....STOP. Everyone I know personally who was in to heavy lifting including my brother and hunting buddy are suffering in old age. Brother just had 5 back discs clipped, dual shoulder surgery. My friend has fake hips, one knee, shoulder surgery, bicep detachment. But boy could they do heavy squats!!

Our joints are just a soft bushing that will wear out under heavy compression. Muscle strength only delays that process. Switch to the light weight/high reps for POWER and not brute strength and muscle mass.

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know about the exercise/weight routine, best to get a professional PT's opinion there I think. Current symptoms strongly point to changing what you're doing.

Voltaren ointment was just approved for non-prescription sale by the FDA on February 14th of 2021! I am super excited by this because it is extremely effective on my arthritic feet and hands (only 42 yrs old, but arthritis has already got me, damn). I recommend you buy some OTC and try it. I'm still using up tubes of prescription Voltaren.

I've never tried CBD, but many people have success with it, via pill or cream. Maybe?

Naproxen/Aleve is a miracle pill for me, but I have to severely minimize my usage due to some other recent issues. If you're a drinker note that most NSAID type drugs are not a good mix with alcohol consumption.

LostArra

WKR
On the weight side....STOP. Everyone I know personally who was in to heavy lifting including my brother and hunting buddy are suffering in old age. Brother just had 5 back discs clipped, dual shoulder surgery. My friend has fake hips, one knee, shoulder surgery, bicep detachment. But boy could they do heavy squats!!

Acquaintances like antecdotes are not data.

Folks who sit on their ass and have never seen a barbell have back surgery, shoulder surgery, hip and knee replacement and bicep tendon problems every day.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

wyodan

WKR
I don't know about the exercise/weight routine, best to get a professional PT's opinion there I think. Current symptoms strongly point to changing what you're doing.

Voltaren ointment was just approved for non-prescription sale by the FDA on February 14th of 2021! I am super excited by this because it is extremely effective on my arthritic feet and hands (only 42 yrs old, but arthritis has already got me, damn). I recommend you buy some OTC and try it. I'm still using up tubes of prescription Voltaren.

I've never tried CBD, but many people have success with it, via pill or cream. Maybe?

Naproxen/Aleve is a miracle pill for me, but I have to severely minimize my usage due to some other recent issues. If you're a drinker note that most NSAID type drugs are not a good mix with alcohol consumption.
I am curious about this Voltaren product. I have significant osteoarthritis in my knees, and if this would help, I'm about to buying some. Is there any difference between the prescription and over the counter product? NSAIDs help quite a bit, but I try to save the times I take those for when I am on a significant adventure. I'm only 43, the arthritis has been one of the most frustrating things for me.

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not a doctor or an expert. But *I think* that the OTC stuff is the same as the thing you previously needed a prescription for. I compared the labels on the OTC stuff with my older tube of prescription and it had all the same stuff in it, at the same strengths.

The voltaren ointment gives me relief for a few hours, sorta similar to Advil, but much much shorter duration than Aleve. But, according to the things I read, the Voltaren drug that is absorbed through the skin is not processed by your stomach or kidneys. NSAID pills upset stomachs and can overload kidneys if you have kidney issues. Voltaren, however, is approved for use even by people in dialysis....which seems pretty good to this non-doctor.

Wildstreak

Lil-Rokslider
I am curious about this Voltaren product. I have significant osteoarthritis in my knees, and if this would help, I'm about to buying some. Is there any difference between the prescription and over the counter product? NSAIDs help quite a bit, but I try to save the times I take those for when I am on a significant adventure. I'm only 43, the arthritis has been one of the most frustrating things for me.
I’m a firm believer in Voltaren. I’m blessed with great genetics and have joyous amount osteoarthritis in more than a couple of my joints. I had a partial knee replacement at the ripe old age of 45 due to extreme osteoarthritis. Even with the arthritis I compete in Ironman races. Voltaren helps a bunch.

I am confused though, I have been buying it OTC without a prescription since June of last year.

Bdjones

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a firm believer in Voltaren. I’m blessed with great genetics and have joyous amount osteoarthritis in more than a couple of my joints. I had a partial knee replacement at the ripe old age of 45 due to extreme osteoarthritis. Even with the arthritis I compete in Ironman races. Voltaren helps a bunch.

I am confused though, I have been buying it OTC without a prescription since June of last year.
I'm in the same boat but with rhematoid arthritis, hands, wrists, ankle currently. Does the voltaren help reduce the inflammation on the joint?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
B
Isn't Voltaren the cream that was highly effective at dealing with inflamation and it absorbed so well needed to use gloves some type of applicator? I may have it confused but if it is my friend who had knee issues and inflammation swore by it

LostArra

WKR

Does Voltaren have a strong odor?

Well turning 50 in a few months and all of a sudden having some elbow joint pain. I suffer from tendonitis all the years of ball but this is different its deep and feels like in the joints. Whats weird hurts a lot more after heavy bench routine. Heavy for me is 225-260. wondering if at my age scrap the heavy lifting and move to a more functional routine like Mt. Tough etc..thoughts. Trying to keep what muscle mass i have but go from 192-180/185. Im 5'10"
Same age as you. Many of us have different ideas what kind of shape we need to be in. I used to lift and run but no more. To hard on the body. I switch to using bands,bike riding and Elliptica machine. Lower impact on the body.

*zap*

WKR
I am 65 and 6' 180 -185 and that is a good weight for me right now but really want to get to where I can stay under 180 and have adequate nutrition/refueling. Got to stay active.....I am doing 10-11 hrs fitness a week right now + work part time. I think it is good to consider if you really need to lift heavy or can you accomplish your goals lifting somewhat lighter. Also as we age it may be good to focus on the hip hinge and posterior chain lifts a little more since I believe we weaken in those areas first and those areas are important to function. Aerobic capacity is also important to do and it may be good to do at least a few hours a week of that + the strength training.

I think as we get older joint pain is somewhat normal and will come and go.....got to be aware of it for sure.

OP
B
Educate me a bit focusing on hip hing and posterior chain. Excercises such as deadlifts, squats, KB swing? I turly believe this area has become weak and tight as i periodically suffer from lower side back pain probably my qls. After 23 years in LE between a dang patrol car and a desk too much sitting. I think my biggest issue is I fall back on what i know and comfy with from years of playing baseball and football. Need to retrain my mind and move toward leaner more endurance as I want to hit the mountains as long as far as I can

*zap*

WKR
Educate me a bit focusing on hip hing and posterior chain. Excercises such as deadlifts, squats, KB swing? I turly believe this area has become weak and tight as i periodically suffer from lower side back pain probably my qls. After 23 years in LE between a dang patrol car and a desk too much sitting. I think my biggest issue is I fall back on what i know and comfy with from years of playing baseball and football. Need to retrain my mind and move toward leaner more endurance as I want to hit the mountains as long as far as I can

From my experience the most important thing is to actually hip hinge when doing hip hinge exercises. With a bar some of those would be glute bridge, good morning, rdl and deadlift. Form is utmost importance. You must move your hips back.....as you bend forward. If your tight it may be best to get with a PT, a good PT and work with that PT until you have it perfect. I say good PT because more than 1/2 of the PT's @ my gym suck.
Glute bridge, good morning and rdl until you have the actual hip hinge down and then dl's. Form not amount of weight used and use the trap bar some if it helps with form for the rdl's at the beginning and light kb's will also work for getting looser in the hips and lower back for rdl's, I have a few sets of kb's and if I am tight I do rdl's with them in the am before I leave.

Back squat can also be hip hinge...good posterior chain exercise, start the down by pushing the hips back and start the up by pushing the hips forward.....standing OHP is king of the upper body posterior chain exercises. Flat bench and incline bench with dumbbells and never put them down after you take em out of the rack until you put them back in the rack....get em, walk to bench, do set, get up and rack em. That is going to get your chest/shoulders/triceps and also is tremendous for posterior chain if you do that for your chest workout instead of using a bar. 85# and up is a significant weight to stand up with after a max effort on a set of bench presses......Tremendous for PC and core....Pull ups/chin ups/dips. The PT I sometimes work with does flat bench with 120#'s and gets up and racks em like its nothing....he weighs 190#

Working with a good PT is very, very important to get good form. Why risk injury or wasting the effort if your not doing thing correctly? So many people do rdl's and dl's with bad form it is not even funny...good luck and I hope the joint pain goes away.

Last edited:
OP
B
Thanks I did some powerlifting while playing ball so he forms good just need to get back after the right exercises. Man thanks for all the info. May explain why i never had a sore back playing ball hmm