Jornada Range NM Oryx hunt

Never been. However, from what I know from others is either you shoot the one they tell you to, or it's your choice.

Depends on why you are called for the tag.

cbat

Lil-Rokslider
Yep. I drew it a few years ago. 10 tags total and not one oryx killed. Range riders try and help but it is a tough hunt. I believe its 75,000 acres and they estimated they had 65 to 75 head there at that time. They were pretty wise to trucks on the dirt roads so drive till you cross tracks then walk and glass.
We found tracks and got about half mile off the road before we saw them in a mesquite thicket. I set up to shoot when 1 off them offered a chance. Took my shot and about 10 head blew out with no chance for follow up shot. Shot was only about 75 yards so it felt good. Went to check and found 2 small blood drops. We followed tracks and found 2 more small blood drops about a mile apart. Finally hit the unit boundary and had to quit. Now over 4 miles from the truck and close to 100 degrees. Started the long walk back and after 1 mile or so saw 1 of the rangers driving down another road , called him on the radio and he stopped and waited for us. The give you radios at check in. He didn't believe us at first when we told him where our truck was. Said he never saw anyone follow blood that far before giving up. We had a monitor and watched the video after we got back to the room that my BIL shot. You can see the bullet hit a branch and explode and hit the sand dune above and bellow the bull. Non fatal hit. Wish we could have watched before we about got heat stroke in the desert.