Just lost the sole on my Asolo - too soon?

jb1316

FNG
I bought a pair of Asolo tps 520 in November of 2016 and have worn these pretty exclusively for hunting and hiking over the last (almost) 3 years in lots of rain and mud. They fit perfectly right out of the box. I really loved the feel of these Asolo's - they are heavy, but great feel and as water proof as I feel I could want out of boots. Outside of hosing the mud off and letting them dry outside, I've not really done any maintenance on them and leave them in the garage most of the time.
Now the problem is while out dove hunting this morning, the sole completely came off one of them. I've got a 1st rifle CO elk hunt coming up and need new boots.
My question is, should I be concerned about the soles coming off in less than 3 years and the durability of the Asolo's (google tells me this isnt too uncommon for them) and start looking at other brands? Or is it normal to get about 3 years out of a pair of hunting boots?

Asolo 520’s are known for sole issues so no surprise there. Mine fell apart quicker than that. Good boots should last longer than those. I like my Lowa’s now but there are lots of good brands

OP
J

jb1316

FNG
Thanks, yea the reviews are pretty consistent with these. Great feeling boots, but the sole issue is bad. Wasnt sure if 3 years is normal for this kind of boot, or I should be on the look out for another brand/model. I see a lot of good things about Lowa’s. Which one do you use?

I haven't lost my sole on my Asolos (third pair), but have quickly worn down the tread in under a year and a half. The previous pair was good for about five years, and my very first pair about five years as well. I'm moving onto a new brand as having to replace a new pair of expensive boots every other year is ridiculous. I'd rather pay for an even more expensive boot and not have to replace it for five for six years. Asolo, sorry but you're not doing it for me any more.

I snagged a pair of Asolo 520's off FeeBay for $40 and immediately sent them off to Rocky Mountain Resole for one of their Vibram Bifida soles. $90 with return shipping included. I can't wait to get them back.

They are extremely comfortable and have robust uppers, so with the new sole I expect them to last a long time.

Thanks, yea the reviews are pretty consistent with these. Great feeling boots, but the sole issue is bad. Wasnt sure if 3 years is normal for this kind of boot, or I should be on the look out for another brand/model. I see a lot of good things about Lowa’s. Which one do you use?
I got Camino’s but Tibet’s are more supportive and would still be lighter than Asolo 520’s. I tried and like the quality of Kennetrek’s and Crispi’s but Lowa’s were a better fit for my feet

OP
J

jb1316

FNG
I snagged a pair of Asolo 520's off FeeBay for $40 and immediately sent them off to Rocky Mountain Resole for one of their Vibram Bifida soles. $90 with return shipping included. I can't wait to get them back.

They are extremely comfortable and have robust uppers, so with the new sole I expect them to last a long time.
Did they say how long they take to return? I posted something similar on another forum and someone else mentioned this same company actually

Did they say how long they take to return? I posted something similar on another forum and someone else mentioned this same company actually
2-3 weeks.

Here's their reply:

We can resole your boots with a Vibram Bifida for $90 return shipping included You may pay online at our web site or place a check in with the boots Please remove your laces and insoles Turn around time is about 2 to 3 weeks
Thanks
RMR
www.rmresole.com
719 680 1632

OP
J

jb1316

FNG
I got Camino’s but Tibet’s are more supportive and would still be lighter than Asolo 520’s. I tried and like the quality of Kennetrek’s and Crispi’s but Lowa’s were a better fit for my feet
I was actually looking at the Caminos on the REI website earier

I went through 2 sets of Asolo FSNs on a 12 month tour in Afghanistan. I finished my tour wearing a set of Lowa Tibets. The Asolos were comfprtable but didnt have the ankle support of the Tibets. i did like the rubber soles on the Asolo in that they gripped wet rocks, wet metal rails, etc better than the Tibets. I lost part of the sole one day when it started flapping. The second set of Asolos just wore down the tread much faster than i would have expected. Lot of guys who are in units that allow you to pick your own gear used Asolos so some guys liked them. I just had a better experience with the Lowa TIbets that were tough as nails and gave great ankle support with heavy loads. I have since switched the Hanwag and like them even better than the Lowas.

DLawhead

FNG
I had the soles peel off my pair of 520’s . I had them 3 years so I just tossed em. Loved the boots so I bought another pair, the second pair are holding up great