Just put my bedroll together.

Trr15

WKR
Well, I think I found the perfect sleep system for the nights I spend in my truck bed, wall tent or when I'm sleeping in rustic cabins. I know bedrolls have been around forever, but I never really spent much time considering their benefits. Long story short, I picked up a 15oz canvas bedroll from Montana Canvas for around $130. I bought a memory foam mattress topper (queen size) from Amazon along with two memory foam pillows. I folded the mattress topper in half (its 6" thick when doubled up), put a set of twin sized sheets on it, added a wool blanket and topped it with a cotton saddle blanket and I think I'm gonna sleep better than I do at home. I can throw the two pillows in, roll it up, strap it and keep everything clean and in one spot. The memory foam compresses enough to make it manageable to take with me pretty much anywhere. It is big and bulky, but man I think this is gonna be the ticket for me. Not sure how the memory foam will handle freezing temps, but I've usually got a heat source.

I know I'm late jumping on the bedroll bandwagon and wondering what the heck took me so long. lol

Last edited:
I use a canvas cutter and love it.
Stays in my hunting truck year round.
I went with a 3" memory foam but kinda wish I'd stuck with 2" based on bulk.
With my 7in1 double bag its a huge roll

Memory foam work great in freezing.
But it does wick your sweat to the bottom so if its a long term hunt and you have the availability turn it on side for the day and let it air out.

Well, I think I found the perfect sleep system for the nights I spend in my truck bed, wall tent or when I'm sleeping in rustic cabins. I know bedrolls have been around forever, but I never really spent much time considering their benefits. Long story short, I picked up a 15oz canvas bedroll from Montana Canvas for around $130. I bought a memory foam mattress topper (twin bed size) from Amazon along with two memory foam pillows. I folded the mattress topper in half (its 6" thick when doubled up), put a set of twin sized sheets on it, added a wool blanket and topped it with a cotton saddle blanket and I think I'm gonna sleep better than I do at home. I can throw the two pillows in, roll it up, strap it and keep everything clean and in one spot. The memory foam compresses enough to make it manageable to take with me pretty much anywhere. It is big and bulky, but man I think this is gonna be the ticket for me. Not sure how the memory foam will handle freezing temps, but I've usually got a heat source.

I know I'm late jumping on the bedroll bandwagon and wondering what the heck took me so long. lol
You folded the topper in half? So it’s 20” wide vs 38-40?

I use a stack of 2 queen mattress toppers with a sheet and whatever combo of sleeping bags meets the temperatures. Rolls into a ridiculous 2.5' roll, 6 feet wide. Totally worth it.
20201016_161354~2.jpg20210611_204819.jpg

OP
Trr15

Trr15

WKR

But it does wick your sweat to the bottom so if its a long term hunt and you have the availability turn it on side for the day and let it air out.
Good to know about the moisture issue. Thanks. Also, glad to hear that memory foam doesn’t turn into a brick when it gets cold.

Last edited:

Longrifle

Lil-Rokslider

Do you sleep with it completely zipped up or do you leave it open a few inches for ventilation?

Do you sleep with it completely zipped up or do you leave it open a few inches for ventilation?
Depends on weather, bugs etc.
But really so far the most zipped up I've used it is because the moon was so bright.

If the weather is decent I leave it like half open.

But the foam wicking your sweat I've happens on a cot without using the bivy.

Well, I think I found the perfect sleep system for the nights I spend in my truck bed, wall tent or when I'm sleeping in rustic cabins. I know bedrolls have been around forever, but I never really spent much time considering their benefits. Long story short, I picked up a 15oz canvas bedroll from Montana Canvas for around $130. I bought a memory foam mattress topper (queen size) from Amazon along with two memory foam pillows. I folded the mattress topper in half (its 6" thick when doubled up), put a set of twin sized sheets on it, added a wool blanket and topped it with a cotton saddle blanket and I think I'm gonna sleep better than I do at home. I can throw the two pillows in, roll it up, strap it and keep everything clean and in one spot. The memory foam compresses enough to make it manageable to take with me pretty much anywhere. It is big and bulky, but man I think this is gonna be the ticket for me. Not sure how the memory foam will handle freezing temps, but I've usually got a heat source.

nice! i'm going to be getting one going here too, we bought a little cargo trailer this year, and i'm going to make it turkey camp next spring, and i like the bedroll idea for that. my previous cargo trailer camping we used cots and normal sleep system, but i like the bedroll program, keep the wear and tear off of my backpack sleep system, and be more comfortable (not really an issue for me, but why not be more comfortable if that's an option?

OP
Trr15

Trr15

WKR
That’s the way I looked at it. I can be uncomfortable when I have to, but I’m at the point in life where I will make the extra effort to be comfortable when I can. I’m spending 5 nights in the Colorado high country next week. I’ll be packed in so I’ll be wishing I had that bedroll with me.

Last edited:
nice! i'm going to be getting one going here too, we bought a little cargo trailer this year, and i'm going to make it turkey camp next spring, and i like the bedroll idea for that. my previous cargo trailer camping we used cots and normal sleep system, but i like the bedroll program, keep the wear and tear off of my backpack sleep system, and be more comfortable (not really an issue for me, but why not be more comfortable if that's an option?

Yeah it perplexes me the guys who use their backpacking gear to car camp. Don’t get me wrong - I’m as comfortable as possible in the backcountry but dude, you cannot sit there and tell me that a neoair is as comfortable or more comfortable than a mondoking… likewise using pillows from home… you can’t tell me using a backpacking pillow(or spare clothes if you’re that kind of guy) is as comfortable… it’s not… and if I have the ability and room to bring the plushy comfortable gear - why not?

Not to mention the fact that car camping means you’re leaving your $500 sleeping bag, $200 mattress, $200-500+ tent setup sitting close to the road for crackheads to steal. Yeah I have the plushy mondoking, but the sleeping bags and other stuff I use for car camping are usually much cheaper than my backpacking stuff. Not gonna be as upset if my $50 tent and $75 sleeping bag walk off.

Yeah it perplexes me the guys who use their backpacking gear to car camp. Don’t get me wrong - I’m as comfortable as possible in the backcountry but dude, you cannot sit there and tell me that a neoair is as comfortable or more comfortable than a mondoking… likewise using pillows from home… you can’t tell me using a backpacking pillow(or spare clothes if you’re that kind of guy) is as comfortable… it’s not… and if I have the ability and room to bring the plushy comfortable gear - why not?

Not to mention the fact that car camping means you’re leaving your $500 sleeping bag, $200 mattress, $200-500+ tent setup sitting close to the road for crackheads to steal. Yeah I have the plushy mondoking, but the sleeping bags and other stuff I use for car camping are usually much cheaper than my backpacking stuff. Not gonna be as upset if my $50 tent and $75 sleeping bag walk off.
that was the biggest thing for me this spring... leaving my tent set up (not breaking it down every day when i'm coming back to it every night well after dark) with my stuff inside, because it's not much safer in the pickup, and at least i'll have my windows when i get back. the cargo trailer is a little better yet, but a bedroll is just a better all around option for car camping. if it's clear, i just sleep in the bed of my pickup, but springtime in the blue mountains can be in the low 20's at night still... a nice, warm, cozy, thick bedroll has a pile of pros, and really no cons.

backpack sleep systems have gotten pretty comfortable, but in that regard, comfort is relative, haha.... it's comfortable and i sleep well in the woods, but it's certainly a different comfortable than my bed at home, with a fire burning